Funky IR Artefact

Old April 27th 18, 03:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Funky IR Artefact

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Mirrorless cameras have the ability to AF IR light without focusing issues
found in DSLRs. Typically with IR converted DSLRs camera/lens combos have
to be calibrated, not so with mirrorless.

That is ONLY true if ONLY IR light is falling on the sensor.

it's true no matter what light type of light is.
Old April 27th 18, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 27, 2018, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Friday, 27 April 2018 15:23:32 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
On Apr 27, 2018, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

Gone right over yuor head hasn;t it, why do they but IR markings on lenes
and this gose back well before mirrorless are yuo really climing that IR light
focussess differntly for mirrorless cameras ?

Yes.

So you're saying that all light focuses at the same point through a lens
irrespective of it's wavelengh ?

Amazing isn’t it. What we are saying is DSLRs and mirrorless cameras go
about focusing for full spectrum light, including IR very differently.

Mirrorless cameras have the ability to AF IR light without focusing issues
found in DSLRs. Typically with IR converted DSLRs camera/lens combos have to
be calibrated, not so with mirrorless.

That is ONLY true if ONLY IR light is falling on the sensor.

Strangely enough with mirrorless cameras all light, including IR, passing
through the lens falls on the sensor.

With mirrorless cameras AF happens via the sensor, and you get a realtime
preview of the image before capture in either the EVF and on LCD.

SO tell me why andriods IR picture is so OOF .

Beats me! You would have to check with android on that.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...22%2311638.jpg

I still DO NOT believe this is an IR image.

It is an image captured with an IR filter on the lens he used.

Here is one photographer's experience.

https://neilvn.com/tangents/mirrorle...d-photography/

So to Lifepixel.com (the premier IR conversion service) all micro
four thirds lenses will focus perfectly with infrared light, and that has
been my experience as well. They actually recommend mirco four thirds cameras
as the best choice for infrared

Actually they say that mirrorless cameras, M4/3, APS-C, or FF will be a
better choice for IR than a DSLR, and they reccommend a full spectrum
conversion to use together with appropriate filters.

so what's special about mirco four thirds ?

Nothing.

then there's this
"Note that most IR conversion services will require a lens to
calibrate the focus."

That is in reference to DSLRs. However, in some cases such as with the Nikon
D70 + old Nikkor 18-70mm it is not necessary due to dumb luck.

Savageduck

Old April 27th 18, 04:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-04-27 14:54:49 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

SO tell me why andriods IR picture is so OOF .

It was that file in a series that contained that special artefact. I
was testing settings and focus was a non issue. We have now established
that the artefact was photonic lemmings so lets move on...
--
teleportation kills

Old April 27th 18, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-04-27 14:54:49 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

SO tell me why andriods IR picture is so OOF .

It was that file in a series that contained that special artefact. I
was testing exposure settings and focus was a non issue. We have now

Old April 27th 18, 05:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 27, 2018, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Friday, 27 April 2018 15:57:36 UTC+1, nospam wrote:
In ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Mirrorless cameras have the ability to AF IR light without focusing issues
found in DSLRs. Typically with IR converted DSLRs camera/lens combos have
to be calibrated, not so with mirrorless.

That is ONLY true if ONLY IR light is falling on the sensor.

it's true no matter what light type of light is.

IR is NOT falling on his sensor because he has a filter over it !

The filter he is using excludes all light other than IR. So IR is hitting his
sensor.

Savageduck

Old April 27th 18, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Focusing with a mirrorless

Cameras don't use the mirrors to focus the image,

slrs have a secondary mirror behind the main mirror for the
autofocus system to work, which has its own sensor.

mirrorless focus using the main sensor.

Really, when I focus my M3 I use the focusing ring on the lens for
manual focus.

whooooooosh.

Gone right over yuor head hasn;t it, why do they but IR markings on
lenes
and this gose back well before mirrorless are yuo really climing
that IR
light focussess differntly for mirrorless cameras ?

whoooooosh even higher.

plus, modern lenses don't have ir markers anymore.

So WTF has that got to do with it.
IR works in the same way it has done since the big bang
whether or not lenes have a mark on them is irrelivant.

what you fail to understand is that a mirrorless camera focuses off the
actual sensor, while slr has a *separate* focus module.

what you have failed to notice is that he still hads the IR filter over the
sensor so there is very little IR getting to the sensor to focus on.
The sensor will focus on whatever light is shown on it, but NOT if teh IR
filter filers out the IR then the lens won;t focus on the IR.

whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh.
Old April 27th 18, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Whisky-dave wrote:

Mirrorless cameras have the ability to AF IR light without focusing issues
found in DSLRs. Typically with IR converted DSLRs camera/lens combos have
to be calibrated, not so with mirrorless.

That is ONLY true if ONLY IR light is falling on the sensor.

it's true no matter what light type of light is.

IR is NOT falling on his sensor because he has a filter over it !

The filter he is using excludes all light other than IR. So IR is hitting his
sensor.

A QND from the archives:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/pccrx8oy5yelhac/i150626%236264.png
--
teleportation kills

Old April 27th 18, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 27, 2018, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Friday, 27 April 2018 16:27:29 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:

Snip

or dumb users or those that don;t care.
would you say IR focussing matters on a lens of focal lenght 22mmm on a APSC
sensor I wouldn't worry until I was apporaching 100mm then someone that knew
what they wwre doing might notice.

Sigh...

To illustrate my point, here is a shot taken a few minutes ago with my X-T2 +
XF35mm f/1.4 and a Hoya Infrared [R72] filter. ISO200, 1.9sec @ f/5.8. No
calibration involved, scene was visible (though very red) in EVF and on LCD,
focusing was not a problem.

Processed quite quickly in LR Classic CC.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nb80vab1s6ptbqx/screenshot_301.png

Savageduck

Old April 28th 18, 12:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 27, 2018, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Apr 27, 2018, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Friday, 27 April 2018 16:27:29 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:

Snip

or dumb users or those that don;t care.
would you say IR focussing matters on a lens of focal lenght 22mmm on a APSC
sensor I wouldn't worry until I was apporaching 100mm then someone that knew
what they wwre doing might notice.

Sigh...

To illustrate my point, here is a shot taken a few minutes ago with my X-T2 +
XF35mm f/1.4 and a Hoya Infrared [R72] filter. ISO200, 1.9sec @ f/5.8. No
calibration involved, scene was visible (though very red) in EVF and on LCD,
focusing was not a problem.

Processed quite quickly in LR Classic CC.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nb80vab1s6ptbqx/screenshot_301.png

Here is the shot without the comparison:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ravrkd3sg9mcsp/_DSF6260.jpg

Savageduck

Old April 28th 18, 08:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-04-27 23:05:30 +0000, Savageduck said:

[...]

Youpp. The tell tale chlorophylian highlights are there. Good job! Now
if you could bother with straighten up the horizon a tad. To be frank:
It looks like the shoot was taken during one of your world famous earth
shakes...
--
teleportation kills