Micro Four Thirds - What to buy?

Old February 7th 13, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Micro Four Thirds - What to buy?

A friend of mine is looking to buy a new camera and has asked for my
comments. I suspect he is mainly interested in a light-weight camera
for use on his numerous travels and is not a serious amatuer
photographer. He has written in an email:

"I don't know whether to buy a Panasonic G3 or the more recent G5.
Price is not an issue, but the G3 is smaller and lighter which is
good, but the G5 has a sharper LCD screen plus a few more features,
so. They both get a very even number of marks from me."

... which gives some idea of what is important to him.

I don't know anything much about this class of camera and would be
grateful for any helpful comments from those who know them.

Eric Stevens
Old February 8th 13, 12:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-02-07 14:10:59 -0800, Eric Stevens said:

A friend of mine is looking to buy a new camera and has asked for my
comments. I suspect he is mainly interested in a light-weight camera
for use on his numerous travels and is not a serious amatuer
photographer. He has written in an email:

"I don't know whether to buy a Panasonic G3 or the more recent G5.
Price is not an issue, but the G3 is smaller and lighter which is
good, but the G5 has a sharper LCD screen plus a few more features,
so. They both get a very even number of marks from me."

... which gives some idea of what is important to him.

I don't know anything much about this class of camera and would be
grateful for any helpful comments from those who know them.

The self appointed 4/3 king is Rich. However from what I can see there
isn't too much between those two Panasonics.
The major differences are in frame rate 6f/s vs 4f/s; HD video quality;
MP4 video; Aluminum front plate vs plastic; improved battery life.

Here is the dpreview comparison, cutting to the chase I would go for
the newer and slightly better featured G5:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...asonic_ dmcg5

http://tinyurl.com/amsdn92

Savageduck

Old February 8th 13, 12:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 15:11:43 -0800, Savageduck

On 2013-02-07 14:10:59 -0800, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

I'm sorry. I didn't make myself clear. Are there any other cameras
hhshould be considering.

Eric Stevens
Old February 8th 13, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray carter

On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 11:10:59 +1300, Eric Stevens wrote:

A friend of mine is looking to buy a new camera and has asked for my
comments. I suspect he is mainly interested in a light-weight camera
for use on his numerous travels and is not a serious amatuer
photographer. He has written in an email:

"I don't know whether to buy a Panasonic G3 or the more recent G5.
Price is not an issue, but the G3 is smaller and lighter which is
good, but the G5 has a sharper LCD screen plus a few more features,
so. They both get a very even number of marks from me."

... which gives some idea of what is important to him.

I don't know anything much about this class of camera and would be
grateful for any helpful comments from those who know them.

If he's interested in a M4/3 with a viewfinder, there are not many other
choices.

I cannot comment on the G5 but last year, after a pretty exhaustive
comparison of available units, I decided the G3 was for me. I've not been
disappointed.
Old February 8th 13, 01:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-02-07 14:10:59 -0800, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

All of them. Panasonic, Olympus, etc....
....and not necessarily 4/3, among those which are also worth looking at
are from Sony, Nikon etc.
Check the Nikon 1 V2 or V2, The Sony NEX, Fujifilm X100S & X20, Ricoh
GXR, Canon EOS M, Canon GX1 & G15.

Savageduck

Old February 8th 13, 01:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Ciszek

In article ,
ray carter wrote:
On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 11:10:59 +1300, Eric Stevens wrote:

I don't know anything much about this class of camera and would be
grateful for any helpful comments from those who know them.

If he's interested in a M4/3 with a viewfinder, there are not many other
choices.

The Olympus OM-D E-M5 comes with a viewfinder. An electronic one, but
that is what you are going to get on micro-4/3 camera--no mirror. Some
professionals seem to be adopting it as their primary camera. This guy
has been getting some very nice shots with it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brb_pho...th/8047735181/

--
Please reply to: | No nation is drunken where wine is cheap.
pciszek at panix dot com | --Thomas Jefferson
Old February 8th 13, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Eric Stevens writes:

A friend of mine is looking to buy a new camera and has asked for my
comments. I suspect he is mainly interested in a light-weight camera
for use on his numerous travels and is not a serious amatuer
photographer. He has written in an email:

"I don't know whether to buy a Panasonic G3 or the more recent G5.
Price is not an issue, but the G3 is smaller and lighter which is
good, but the G5 has a sharper LCD screen plus a few more features,
so. They both get a very even number of marks from me."

... which gives some idea of what is important to him.

I don't know anything much about this class of camera and would be
grateful for any helpful comments from those who know them.

Some Olympus body. In-body image stabilization is a wonderful thing,
and many of the best lenses, being made by Olympus don't have in-lens
stabilization. (Plus the huge range of lenses you can adapt don't, but
they all benefit from it with in-body stabilization.)

There are some new cheaper ones with the same sensor as in the OM-D
em-5-spqr or whatever the hell the top model is called.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old February 8th 13, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wally

On 2013-02-07 14:10:59 -0800, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

Sony RX100, one of the best inventions of the year according to Time
Magazine.
http://tinyurl.com/bmvuwvg

I own one. Great camera!

Old February 9th 13, 12:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Wally says...
Sony RX100, one of the best inventions of the year according to Time
Magazine.
http://tinyurl.com/bmvuwvg

I own one. Great camera!

Perhaps but the sensor is quite small and the lens is not
interchangeable.
--

Alfred Molon