QUESTION: Neckstrap design for heavy cameras

Old November 7th 07, 10:55 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Frank Arthur

Default QUESTION: Neckstrap design for heavy cameras

"Mr. Strat" wrote in message
In article , Ken Hart wrote:

Wimp! I used to carry a KoniOmega Rapid M with potato masher flash
for 3-5
hours at weddings! Then I walked home, uphill both ways!

I carried two Hasselblads, lenses, etc. in the aluminum Hasselblad
case
along with either a Norman 200B lighting system (with stands and
tripod) or a Photogenic Flashmaster system.

For a while, I dragged around a Pentax 6x7 with several lenses in a
Quest vest along with a tripod.

I used to carry my 8 x 10 camera with tripod, in a trot, uphill.
Now I have trouble moving with my digital point & shoot on level
ground.
Wonder why?

Old November 7th 07, 11:26 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , Frank Arthur
wrote:

I used to carry my 8 x 10 camera with tripod, in a trot, uphill.
Now I have trouble moving with my digital point & shoot on level
ground.
Wonder why?

We're getting to be old geezers?
Old November 8th 07, 12:48 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Charlie Self

On Nov 7, 1:16 pm, BD wrote:
Hey, all.

I have a Canon 30D with a battery grip, and just ordered a 70-200 f/
2.8L IS lens.

I'm a little concerned about the overall weight of the setup. I've
currently got a 70-200IS, and with the camera and that lens hanging
around my neck I start really feeling it after only a little while.
It's the pressure the strap puts on my neck that kind of adds up after
not too long.

It occurs to me that some kind of little harness setup, with straps
hanging around a person's shoulders instead of around their neck,
might make for an easier way to sling the camera while wandering
around.

I've also heard of folks jamming the tripod hook under their belt, and
hanging the whole setup off their waist.

Curious if anyone else has had any brilliant revelations to keep their
necks from getting strained from carrying that kind of gear around.

Thanks,

BD

I use the OpTech binoc/camera strap. No weight on the neck at all. I
picked that up recently after carting two cameras around a race course
for a few days brought out the worst in my arthritic neck. For by far
the widest selection of straps, or almost anything else photogrpahic,
take a look at bhphoto.com. Good company to deal with, immense
catalogs. No ties, just a satisfied customer. Adorama has also done
well by me,. as has Porter's, but the NYC stores are larger, carry
more and generally offer lower prices.

Old November 8th 07, 01:05 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Jer

Rich wrote:
Invest in Op/Tech straps

Best money I ever spent

I second this motion. Op/Tech wrote the book while others just read it.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Old November 8th 07, 04:41 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart

"Lew" wrote in message

"Ken Hart" wrote in message ...

"BD" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey, all.

I have a Canon 30D with a battery grip, and just ordered a 70-200 f/
2.8L IS lens.

I'm a little concerned about the overall weight of the setup.

(SNIP)

Wimp! I used to carry a KoniOmega Rapid M with potato masher flash for
3-5 hours at weddings! Then I walked home, uphill both ways!

(SNIP)

How they heck can you go both ways uphil??

You obviously never had a long conversation with anyone who lived through
the depression! ( Disclosu I didn't live through the depression; my
grandparents did.)

Old November 8th 07, 04:53 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart

"Mr. Strat" wrote in message
In article , Frank Arthur
wrote:

I used to carry my 8 x 10 camera with tripod, in a trot, uphill.
Now I have trouble moving with my digital point & shoot on level
ground.
Wonder why?

We're getting to be old geezers?

Speak for yourself, you old fart!
(Disclaimer: I don't know for a fact that Mr Strat is an old fart, but if he
can't carry an 8x10 camera and tripod trotting uphill....!)
(Disclaimer #2: I think I've carried this joke far enough!)

Old November 8th 07, 05:21 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , Ken Hart wrote:

Speak for yourself, you old fart!
(Disclaimer: I don't know for a fact that Mr Strat is an old fart, but if he
can't carry an 8x10 camera and tripod trotting uphill....!)
(Disclaimer #2: I think I've carried this joke far enough!)

Actually, I am a relatively old fart (57) and have carried 4x5
equipment around.
Old November 8th 07, 05:37 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
BD

The best method I ever found was to get the DSLR to P&S converter. It's
available at retail outlets everywhere. Inexpensive too! Worth every penny. You
might have to sacrifice some high-ISO quality but with the larger f/stops
available for use at lower ISOs you won't even miss it.- Hide quoted text -

I'll get right on that, then.

Old November 8th 07, 08:58 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Randy Berbaum[_2_]

"BD" wrote in message
[...]

If you are using the original 1/2" webbing neck strap it will be
uncomfortable for long (longer than an hour or so) use. Replace it with a 2"
or wider strap. If possible get one that is also padded and curved slightly
at the neck (so it lays better around the neck). I also look for one with
quick release toggles at both ends so that if you wish to use the camera on
a tripod where the strap could be in the way, you can detach the strap quick
and easy. I normally carry my camera with the strap over my left sholder,
around my neck and under my right arm. This puts the camera hanging under my
right arm and tucked into the bend of my elbow. This makes my arm a
protector from inadvertant bumps and also tends to make it less obvious. But
I am able to swing the camera up to my face for a quick shot. I just
completed a 3 week vacation where I was carrying the camera all day, every
day for up to 10 hours a day with no neck strap rash or pain.

One more thing I did with my camera strap. I got several of the op/tech
pouches that are about 2" sq that slide onto the strap. I have one for the
spare memory cards, one for the filled cards (making it easy to swap out
memory quickly) and two to hold a complete fresh set of batteries.

It works for me. YMMV

Randy

Old November 8th 07, 09:26 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

BD wrote:
[...]

Well, a nice wide, and padded strap should help. But you have just
nicely explained why I don't WANT a DSLR. Yes, they take better
pictures, but NOT if I can't carry the camera to the site....