Does smartphone angle of view depend only on focal length?

Old January 1st 19, 10:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Does smartphone angle of view depend only on focal length?

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 22:40:07 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

On 12/30/2018 7:36 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

digital is now the default. film requires a modifier.

'camera' or 'slr' is digital.

But Sam Brown's original post referred to a "35mm camera". No matter
how much you continue to argue, the description '35mm camera' refers
to the film size used by the camera. Such cameras cannot be digital.

of course they can

one example:
https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/index.php/cameras/pentax-k-1
The K-1 combines the performance of a full frame 35mm digital
camera with the unique PENTAX original features you love - all in a
rugged, compact body.

Gotta agree. It was not that long ago when i could have purchased a
digital back for my F3, from Kodak. IIRC it was only about $10,000.

Like this? https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjmi3jbg2e...C6425.jpg?dl=0

Eric Stevens
Old January 1st 19, 11:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Misuse of language does not make it correct.

actually, it does.

language evolves.

the very first time, it might be considered misuse, however, once it
becomes widespread and common, it's *not* misuse whatsoever.
Old January 1st 19, 11:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 23:06:13 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , PeterN
wrote:

digital is now the default. film requires a modifier.

'camera' or 'slr' is digital.

If you read the article you cite, it clearly states on the first page:
"Take greatness to the next level with the first compact, full frame
DSLR engineered by PENTAX for outstanding performance, operability and
affordability."

as opposed to being engineered for mediocre performance, inoperability
and unaffordable.

And further down it also states: "Designed to move in ways never before
imagined is the new Flexible Tilt-Type LCD Monitor - a first for any
DSLR camera.."

what if someone actually did imagine them?

obviously someone had to, else it could not be designed that way.

If what you say is true, I wonder why it is called a "DSLR." My guess is
that the copywriter did not consult you.

your guess is correct. i was not consulted.

'dslr' is still used, however, the d is redundant.

From the current Nikon web site
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/filmcamera/index.htm or

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/filmcamera/slr/f6/

Eric Stevens
Old January 1st 19, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

From the current Nikon web site
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/filmcamera/index.htm or

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/filmcamera/slr/f6/

those may exist, but almost none are sold or even manufactured.

last time you brought up the nikon f6, i recall a link that nikon was
selling on the order of only a few per month. that is obviously going
to be much less now than back then.

compare that to a couple of *billion* digital cameras sold per year,
and that's *increasing*, plus the billions currently in use.

put another way, more digital cameras are sold *every* *second* than
the nikon f6 sells every *year*.

and that's just sales.

the number of photos taken with digital cameras compared with film
cameras is staggering. calling it a round-off error would make film
look bigger than it actually is. it's likely below the precision of
most calculators.
Old January 2nd 19, 01:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 18:40:33 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

From the current Nikon web site
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/filmcamera/index.htm or

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/filmcamera/slr/f6/

those may exist, but almost none are sold or even manufactured.

I wasn't pointing to sales. I was drawing your attention to word
usage.

last time you brought up the nikon f6, i recall a link that nikon was
selling on the order of only a few per month. that is obviously going
to be much less now than back then.

compare that to a couple of *billion* digital cameras sold per year,
and that's *increasing*, plus the billions currently in use.

put another way, more digital cameras are sold *every* *second* than
the nikon f6 sells every *year*.

and that's just sales.

the number of photos taken with digital cameras compared with film
cameras is staggering. calling it a round-off error would make film
look bigger than it actually is. it's likely below the precision of
most calculators.

Which has what to do with 35mm cameras?

Eric Stevens
Old January 2nd 19, 01:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

From the current Nikon web site
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/filmcamera/index.htm or

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/filmcamera/slr/f6/

those may exist, but almost none are sold or even manufactured.

I wasn't pointing to sales. I was drawing your attention to word
usage.

you missed the part about digital now being the default.
Old January 2nd 19, 09:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 20:38:12 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

From the current Nikon web site
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/filmcamera/index.htm or

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/filmcamera/slr/f6/

those may exist, but almost none are sold or even manufactured.

I wasn't pointing to sales. I was drawing your attention to word
usage.

you missed the part about digital now being the default.

In your heavy snippage (which you have not indicated) you deleted my
question "Which has what to do with 35mm cameras?"

So, I ask you again, which has what to do with 35mm cameras?

Eric Stevens
Old January 2nd 19, 01:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

From the current Nikon web site
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/filmcamera/index.htm or

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/filmcamera/slr/f6/

those may exist, but almost none are sold or even manufactured.

I wasn't pointing to sales. I was drawing your attention to word
usage.

you missed the part about digital now being the default.

In your heavy snippage (which you have not indicated) you deleted my
question "Which has what to do with 35mm cameras?"

So, I ask you again, which has what to do with 35mm cameras?

because they're now digital.
Old January 2nd 19, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 08:25:35 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

From the current Nikon web site
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/filmcamera/index.htm or

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/filmcamera/slr/f6/

those may exist, but almost none are sold or even manufactured.

I wasn't pointing to sales. I was drawing your attention to word
usage.

you missed the part about digital now being the default.

In your heavy snippage (which you have not indicated) you deleted my
question "Which has what to do with 35mm cameras?"

So, I ask you again, which has what to do with 35mm cameras?

because they're now digital.

Bull****.

Eric Stevens
Old January 2nd 19, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 1/2/19 8:25 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

From the current Nikon web site
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/filmcamera/index.htm or

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/filmcamera/slr/f6/

those may exist, but almost none are sold or even manufactured.

I wasn't pointing to sales. I was drawing your attention to word
usage.

you missed the part about digital now being the default.

In your heavy snippage (which you have not indicated) you deleted my
question "Which has what to do with 35mm cameras?"

So, I ask you again, which has what to do with 35mm cameras?

because they're now digital.

"35mm cameras" are not digital. The "35mm" part refers to a film size.
There are digital cameras that are "35mm form factor", "35mm style(d)",
"dSLR", and many other similar terms. But a (common) digital camera does
not use 35mm film, therefore, it is not a "35mm camera". A "35mm camera"
is a camera that uses 35mm film.

You have been directed to dozens of websites from major photo retailers
and manufacturers, and all of them make a distinction between "35mm
cameras" and digital cameras that may look like the 'classic' 35mm film
camera.

The unwashed masses may consider all cameras to be digital. But among
photography professionals (and knowledgeable amateurs), film still
exists, and cameras that use 35 millimeter film are 35mm cameras.

Speaking of the "unwashed masses"- Available for immediate pickup at the
local WalMart are the following:
-- Fujifilm Quicksnap 800 Waterproof 35mm Disposable Camera - 27
Exposures, $9.49
-- Fujifilm Disposable 35mm Camera With Flash, 2 Pack, $13.09
-- Fujifilm One Time Use 35mm Camera with Flash, $8.46
-- Three Roll pack SUPERIA 400 36EX film, $12.99.

If you search for "digital cameras" at WalMart, they are all referred to
as "digital" cameras; some as "digital SLR", and some as "DSLR". Not a
one of them is called a "35mm camera", even those that are "35mm form
factor", such as Canon EOS digital, and Nikon D7200 digital.

Clearly, there is a distinction between a "35mm (film) camera" and a
digital camera. Whether you (nospam) accept it or not.

--
Ken Hart