White spots on image--Canon 300SD

Old April 4th 05, 03:03 PM
Lee Phillips

Default White spots on image--Canon 300SD

I am having trouble with white spots appearing on images taken with the
Canon 300SD. The FAQ's on Canon's Web site explain it this way:
http://alpha02.c-wss.com/inc/ApplSer...CA104&TRF=MAIN .
I don't think I buy their argument because taking a similar image at the
same time and place with a Nikon 990 or Nikon 5700, spots don't appear. If
anyone else is having this problem I would appreciate your explanation and
your solution

Lee53

Old April 4th 05, 03:15 PM
David J Taylor

Lee Phillips wrote:
I am having trouble with white spots appearing on images taken with
the Canon 300SD.

A common cause is dust in front of the camera when using flash. Can you
post a sample to a Web page somewhere?

David

Old April 4th 05, 04:55 PM
Lee Phillips

This link http://class.aggienetwork.com/class5...raphy-test.htm should
have a test image with three white spots noted. I will appreciate your
evaluation.

Lee Phillips

Old April 4th 05, 05:23 PM
David J Taylor

Lee Phillips wrote:
This link http://class.aggienetwork.com/class5...raphy-test.htm
should have a test image with three white spots noted. I will
appreciate your evaluation.

Lee Phillips

Almost certainly very small flecks of dust (or perhaps smoke) near the
lens, which get illuminated by the flash, and appear as out-of-focus
blobs.

The visibility will be dependant on the axial distance between the flash
and the lens, and the depth of field. With a point and shoot camera, the
very small lens focal length means that the depth of field is very great.
The small distance between the flash and the lens means that the particles
are very brightly illuminated. Thus the flecks, rather than just creating
a general hazy atmosphere, actually appear as out-of-focus blobs.

Cheers,
David

Old April 8th 05, 04:13 PM
Lee Phillips

Thanks to all for the explanations. Very helpful.

Lee

"chas" wrote in message