How many pixels???? Help!! SLR versus Digital

Old April 3rd 05, 07:26 PM
dmcd

Default How many pixels???? Help!! SLR versus Digital

I once owned a SLR camera - an olympus OM10 - which took really good
shots but was heavy! I now have a nikon coolpix 3100. My old camera
took better pictures and I was wondering how many pixels did the old
SLR camera's have?? my coolpix is 3.2 effective megapixels I am
wondering if I invested in a 4 or 5 megapixels would it be up to the
same quality as my old camera? thanks!
Old April 3rd 05, 07:52 PM
peter

dmcd wrote:
I once owned a SLR camera - an olympus OM10 - which took really good
shots but was heavy! I now have a nikon coolpix 3100. My old camera
took better pictures and I was wondering how many pixels did the old
SLR camera's have?? my coolpix is 3.2 effective megapixels I am
wondering if I invested in a 4 or 5 megapixels would it be up to the
same quality as my old camera? thanks!

This is quite a topic....I used to believe that a full 35mm film frame
was about 20 Mp, However Chemical and digital photographies use
different mechanisms for producing prints, and the camera lens is
probably the most important factor above around 6 Mp, followed by the
printer. What are "better" pictures, are we talking sharpness,
saturation, colour accuracy, or what?. I have found that digital can use
longer exposure times if left in point & shoot mode, so a good shooting
stance is more important. Sharpness you can't do much about, other than
using best pixel count and a steady hand, the others can be addressed in
any competent photo edit program.
Old April 3rd 05, 10:16 PM
user

dmcd wrote:
I once owned a SLR camera - an olympus OM10 - which took really good
shots but was heavy! I now have a nikon coolpix 3100. My old camera
took better pictures and I was wondering how many pixels did the old
SLR camera's have?? my coolpix is 3.2 effective megapixels I am
wondering if I invested in a 4 or 5 megapixels would it be up to the
same quality as my old camera? thanks!

The OM10 had 0 mega pixels!
Old April 11th 05, 10:13 PM
Anne Geeraets

"dmcd" schreef in bericht
om...
I once owned a SLR camera - an olympus OM10 - which took really good
shots but was heavy! I now have a nikon coolpix 3100. My old camera
took better pictures and I was wondering how many pixels did the old
SLR camera's have?? my coolpix is 3.2 effective megapixels I am
wondering if I invested in a 4 or 5 megapixels would it be up to the
same quality as my old camera? thanks!

I think you have to handle your new digital camera better.
It's less weight, then possible you shake the camera when shooting. Also
it's a compact-camera and no reflex. I don't know the Coolpix, I have a
Canon A75 with 3,2 Mp, also a compact , but with al lot possibilities of
manual attitudes. I am very satisfied of this camera, but I could use
more optical zoom then 3x optical zoom I have now. Also there's a Stitch
or Panorama-function on my camera, and with this I can make photo's with
many more than 3 Mp ! The Mp only says something about how big you can
print your photo, not about the quality. It takes some more time
between shooting and the photo with a lot of digitals, so you need a
quiet hand or with less light a tripod. ( Some other digitals have
solved this problem now). And trie out al the posibilities from your
camera, you can see immediately the result and it cost you nothing ! I
also use a nice program for optimalize my photo's on the computer, I got
this with my Canon scanner : ArcSoft PhotoStudio 5 (it looks like
PaintShoppro) . In fact this is a doca on the computer. To see your
digital photo on paper you have the choose between a printer or a
digital photoshop. A good photo-printer is expensive, so I sent my
photo's to a shop, these photo's have often a better protection for
light. Before I look with a cheaper printer how it looks on paper,
because colours can look different (lighter)on the monitor then on
paper. I also have a Minolta reflex, and I find it also too heavy to
carry on my long walks. But often I had made even better photo's with a
good compact analoge camera (very pity that it was stolen), that I used
before my digital, then with my reflex ! Succes !

Thank you..........that is really good advice.
Dorothy