Opening Pentax *ist DS RAW .PEF files in Windows 98?

Old January 8th 05, 05:25 PM
Helen Edith Stephenson

Default Opening Pentax *ist DS RAW .PEF files in Windows 98?

Pentax say on the box that the Windows system requirement is Windows
ME/2000/XP and they're not kidding. I'd hoped that the limitation was
something to do with requiring USB 2.0 support for uploading images,
which I didn't care about as I've got a USB card reader which is quite
happy to read my Secure Digital card.

However, the software with the *ist DS (including the software for
processing RAW images) requires some methods in Share32.dll which simply
don't exist in Win98. My other half says it would be a mistake to copy
Share32.dll from WinME or WinXP and overwrite my Win98 version...

I've found and downloaded a .PEF plugin from the Pentax site, but it
also claims to need Windows ME/2000/XP plus it needs PhotoShop 5. I'm
currently running PhotoShop 4 LE but have a CD with 5 LE on it in the
box that my Epson Stylus Photo 1200 printer came in five or six years
ago. I've just tried to load it and the serial number on it doesn't
work:-( After all this time, I probably don't have a lot of come-back
from Epson over it, either:-( The plugin definitely doesn't work with 4
LE, but I don't know whether that's because of Photoshop or Win98.

Has anybody had any success at opening and editing .PEF files on a
Windows 98 system?

I might have to bite the bullet and upgrade to WinXP, but I'd rather not
if I don't have to, particularly as I've still got the *ist DS to pay
off my credit card and don't want to spend any more than I have to:-)

On the bright side, I can upload JPEG images via my USB card reader, and
I've got software which will open and manipulate those, so I can use the
*ist DS, just not its RAW facility. If I start shooting in RAW, I'll
probably need to invest in more SD cards, too, which is yet more
expense!

Helen

Helen Edith Stephenson helen at baronmoss dot demon dot co dot uk
--
(I'm sure you can figure out what I mean!)
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/baronmoss/index.html
Old January 8th 05, 05:53 PM
Gaderian

Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:
However, the software with the *ist DS (including the software for
processing RAW images) requires some methods in Share32.dll which
simply don't exist in Win98. My other half says it would be a mistake
to copy Share32.dll from WinME or WinXP and overwrite my Win98
version...

Paint Shop Pro ver 9 works with Windows98 SE or better and opens *.PEF RAW
files.
You can find it he http://deals.jasc.com/jan2005/?

Old January 8th 05, 05:54 PM
Helen Edith Stephenson

In article , Helen Edith
Stephenson writes
[snip]
I've found and downloaded a .PEF plugin from the Pentax site, but it
also claims to need Windows ME/2000/XP plus it needs PhotoShop 5. I'm
currently running PhotoShop 4 LE but have a CD with 5 LE on it in the
box that my Epson Stylus Photo 1200 printer came in five or six years
ago. I've just tried to load it and the serial number on it doesn't
work:-( After all this time, I probably don't have a lot of come-back
from Epson over it, either:-( The plugin definitely doesn't work with 4
LE, but I don't know whether that's because of Photoshop or Win98.

[snip]

My other half found the generic security code for PhotoShop 5 LE and
I've installed it. The plugin doesn't work:-(

It reports that it's "unable to display preview".

Anyway, I'm glad I've loaded Photoshop 5 LE as it apparently does 99
layers instead of 5:-)

http://www.baronmoss.demon.co.uk

Old January 8th 05, 06:48 PM
John Bean

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:53:52 -0500, Gaderian wrote:

Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:
However, the software with the *ist DS (including the software for
processing RAW images) requires some methods in Share32.dll which
simply don't exist in Win98. My other half says it would be a mistake
to copy Share32.dll from WinME or WinXP and overwrite my Win98
version...

Paint Shop Pro ver 9 works with Windows98 SE or better and opens *.PEF RAW
files.
You can find it he http://deals.jasc.com/jan2005/?

Not DS files, they're not the same as those from the D.

Apart from the Pentax software the only other that can use .PEF files from
the DS is the beta of ACR 2.4 (for Photoshop CS and Elements 3).

--
John Bean

I like to tell people I have the heart of a small boy. Then I say it's in a
jar on my desk (Stephen King)
Old January 8th 05, 06:58 PM
John Bean

Helen, I understand your frustrations. That said I seriously advise you to
bite the bullet and upgrade your OS. An increasing amount of software will
become unavailable to you if you continue to cling onto an OS that was far
from perfect in 1998, let alone 2005...

You could use Dave Coffin's dcraw (http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/)
- there's a version you can get pre-compiled for Windows - which can open
PEF files from the DS. Other than that, there's nothing AFAIK that will work
for you in Win98. Sorry.

--
John Bean

I never knew my father was an alcoholic until he came home sober one
night... (Andre Botes)
Old January 8th 05, 07:37 PM
Helen Edith Stephenson

In article , John Bean
writes
Helen, I understand your frustrations. That said I seriously advise you to
bite the bullet and upgrade your OS. An increasing amount of software will
become unavailable to you if you continue to cling onto an OS that was far
from perfect in 1998, let alone 2005...

You could use Dave Coffin's dcraw (http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/)
- there's a version you can get pre-compiled for Windows - which can open
PEF files from the DS. Other than that, there's nothing AFAIK that will work
for you in Win98. Sorry.

It's looking increasingly likely that an upgrade to WinXP may become
inevitable. If I can put it off for a bit longer, I'd like to, but if I
want to shoot RAW images, I think this PC is going to require an
upgrade.

Old January 8th 05, 09:36 PM
Gaderian

John Bean wrote:
On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:53:52 -0500, Gaderian wrote:

Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:
However, the software with the *ist DS (including the software for
processing RAW images) requires some methods in Share32.dll which
simply don't exist in Win98. My other half says it would be a
mistake to copy Share32.dll from WinME or WinXP and overwrite my
Win98 version...

Paint Shop Pro ver 9 works with Windows98 SE or better and opens
*.PEF RAW files.
You can find it he http://deals.jasc.com/jan2005/?

Not DS files, they're not the same as those from the D.

Apart from the Pentax software the only other that can use .PEF files
from the DS is the beta of ACR 2.4 (for Photoshop CS and Elements 3).

Interesting! I didn't know that. Glad I have my D

Old January 8th 05, 09:57 PM
John Bean

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 15:36:08 -0500, Gaderian wrote:

John Bean wrote:
On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:53:52 -0500, Gaderian wrote:

Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:
However, the software with the *ist DS (including the software for
processing RAW images) requires some methods in Share32.dll which
simply don't exist in Win98. My other half says it would be a
mistake to copy Share32.dll from WinME or WinXP and overwrite my
Win98 version...

Paint Shop Pro ver 9 works with Windows98 SE or better and opens
*.PEF RAW files.
You can find it he http://deals.jasc.com/jan2005/?

Not DS files, they're not the same as those from the D.

Apart from the Pentax software the only other that can use .PEF files
from the DS is the beta of ACR 2.4 (for Photoshop CS and Elements 3).

Interesting! I didn't know that. Glad I have my D

Ah, but my DS can store 92 raw files on a 1GB card :-)

Third party support for the DS will catch up eventually I imagine, but as a
CS user I'm happy that Adobe are on the ball.

--
John Bean

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in
Australia (Charles Schultz)
Old January 8th 05, 10:42 PM
Jer

[...]

I don't know what kind of PC your still using with Win98, but you may
need to take a hard and honest look at upgrading the PC itself, as WinXP
doesn't play nice with under-powered CPUs.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'