Scanning slides vs Prints

Old November 3rd 04, 11:09 AM

Default Scanning slides vs Prints

I have not been satisfied with the scanned images I have been getting
with my Elite Chrome slides. I compared a scanned print with the
scanned slide of the same old building taken minutes apart in
different cameras and the print was much sharper than the slide. The
slides look sharp when viewed with a magnifying lens, I use an 8 mm
movie projector lens back-to-front.

I loaded both into PS Elemnents and viewed them at the same size side
by side. Could the difference be that the negs are scanned at the
minilab with a much better scanner than the Epson RX510 I use at 2400
DPI & 48 bit for the slides and 300 dpi & 48 bit for the prints. I get
12.7 M files for the prints & 34-37 M files for the slides. Could I
expect to match the sharpness of the prints with a good quality film
scanner? It seems to be harder to get good scans from the Elite Chrome
slides than it was for the Kodachrome slides I used previously.

I used Kodak HD 200 in a Pentax Espio 95WR and a Pentax *ist with a
Tamron 24-135 lens for the Elite Chrome 100.

Thanks
Mike

Old November 3rd 04, 02:40 PM
Alan Browne

I have not been satisfied with the scanned images I have been getting
with my Elite Chrome slides. I compared a scanned print with the
scanned slide of the same old building taken minutes apart in
different cameras and the print was much sharper than the slide. The
slides look sharp when viewed with a magnifying lens, I use an 8 mm
movie projector lens back-to-front.

I loaded both into PS Elemnents and viewed them at the same size side
by side. Could the difference be that the negs are scanned at the
minilab with a much better scanner than the Epson RX510 I use at 2400

It's not clear to me how you scanned the slides, but in any case, if it was the
RX510, then it is not a dedicated film scanner and film scans using it will not
be particularly good v. a dedicated film scanner.

Minilab scans are rarely as good as what you can do at home with a good film
scanner. A 4x6 print won't show very many problems with a scan ... print the
same at 8x12 or higher and see how the miniab negative based print looks...

DPI & 48 bit for the slides and 300 dpi & 48 bit for the prints. I get
12.7 M files for the prints & 34-37 M files for the slides. Could I
expect to match the sharpness of the prints with a good quality film
scanner? It seems to be harder to get good scans from the Elite Chrome
slides than it was for the Kodachrome slides I used previously.

Elite Chrome, in my experience, scans quite well, though grain structure is
apparent at very high resolutions.

I used Kodak HD 200 in a Pentax Espio 95WR and a Pentax *ist with a
Tamron 24-135 lens for the Elite Chrome 100.

It is best, when making comparisons, to use the same taking lens.

see news:comp.periphs.scanners and
www.scantips.com as well

Cheers,
Alan

-- [SI rulz] http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html

Old November 3rd 04, 11:13 PM

I scanned both slides and 4x6 prints with the RX510. In PS elements I
viewed the slide at 200% then increased the scan of the print until it
was the same size as the slide. At the full screen view there was not
much difference, it was when viewing both at increased magnification
that the difference is more noticeable.

I didn't take the photos with the 2 cameras to compare them, I used
Kodachrome until it was withdrawn from the Australian market and I was
trying the EC 100 to see how I liked it. I wasn't sure how the slides
were going to come out, it was the first time I tried the EC on a dull
day and took a few shots with print film to make sure I had some
photos of the building.

Thanks
Mike

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 09:40:28 -0500, Alan Browne

Old November 4th 04, 10:24 AM
Graham Fountain

wrote in message

I scanned both slides and 4x6 prints with the RX510. In PS elements I
viewed the slide at 200% then increased the scan of the print until it
was the same size as the slide. At the full screen view there was not
much difference, it was when viewing both at increased magnification
that the difference is more noticeable.

I have found EC pretty good, although I personally prefer the colours from
Fuji Sensia. I scan mine through the Fuji Frontier at work and get an image
that is 3300x2200, which will be roughly the same size as a 2400dpi scan.
IME scans from Frontiers are much better than the scans from flatbed
scanners - even those that supposedly have higher resolution. Presumably
dedicated film scanners are in the same league as the Frontier, but you'd
have to be doing a lot of it to justify the expense vs the cost of getting a
frontier lab to scan them to CD for you.
For some untouched scans from Kodak EliteChrome on a Fuji Frontier, check
out...
http://www.users.myall.net/grahamf72/misc/F1000010.JPG
http://www.users.myall.net/grahamf72/misc/F1000013.JPG
http://www.users.myall.net/grahamf72/misc/F1000014.JPG
A word of warning though - these are pretty big, nudging 2MB each.

Back to Fuji Sensia vs Kodak EliteChrome - I think the Fuji gives more
natural colours, but seems to have a bit larger grain size than the Kodak.
The colours from the Kodak seem to be a little warmer although not badly so.
Certainly looking at the Kodak slide, it looks good, but when I look at a
Kodak and a Fuji side by side, the Fuji's colours look a bit more natural.

Old November 5th 04, 12:00 AM

Maybe I'll try the Sensia, I have used only a few EC films and I've
noticed that some of the slides are a bit too saturated, I prefer the
more natural colours I got with Kodachrome.

I have been getting my print film processed at a Fuji minilab and
until recently they used to put all the scans onto a CD as well as the
prints, until the last time when they used 1 CD and charged the price
of a CD for each film. The scans are 1 M or less JPG files, 1840 x
1232. I asked if I could get some of my films scanned at higher res
but they said they scan at 300 dpi. Obviously the Frontier scanner
isn't the limiting factor.

Thanks
Mike

Old November 5th 04, 09:23 PM
Graham Fountain

wrote in message
Maybe I'll try the Sensia, I have used only a few EC films and I've
noticed that some of the slides are a bit too saturated, I prefer the
more natural colours I got with Kodachrome.

I have been getting my print film processed at a Fuji minilab and
until recently they used to put all the scans onto a CD as well as the
prints, until the last time when they used 1 CD and charged the price
of a CD for each film. The scans are 1 M or less JPG files, 1840 x
1232. I asked if I could get some of my films scanned at higher res
but they said they scan at 300 dpi. Obviously the Frontier scanner
isn't the limiting factor.

The frontier has a few different scanning resolutions. It is designed to
scan so that the resulting print is at 300dpi, so it has enough resolution
to go up to 300dpi from an 8x12, which is the resolution that i get my
slides scanned in.
There are a couple of ways of doing scan-to-cd from a frontier. The one
most commonly used by labs, is to scan and print at the same time, then it
will scan at whatever resolution will give 300dpi at the selected output
size, so if you are printing the standard 6x4 then the output will be approx
1800x1200. If on the other hand you asked for 8x12 the output will be about
3600x2400.
The frontier also will do scan-only. In this mode you can select from a few
different ways of doing the scan. Most labs will select "4 Base JPG", which
again is approx 1800x1200. The machine also has "16 Base JPG" and "CD-PRO"
as options. 16 Base JPG will give approx 3300x2200. With CD-Pro you also
select a print size (even though you aren't printing anything), and it will
scan in the appropriate format and resolution. CD-Pro also puts lo-res and
mid-res copies onto the CD, in addition to the hi-res version. The reason
labs tend to only do the 1800x1200 scans is because of the time taken to do
them. a 4-Base scan zooms through, taking about a minute for a roll of 24
exposures (a bit longer for slides though because they have to be done
individually). A 16-Base scan however takes between 30 sec and 1 minute per
frame, and while the frontier is doing this it can't be used for any other
jobs. Obviously most labs won't want their machine tied up for half an hour
unable to do any other printing. Where I work, we will do the high res
scans, but the price is much higher than normal low-res scans.

Thanks
Mike