Canon 20D now what?

Old September 22nd 04, 06:10 PM
Jerry

Default Canon 20D now what?

Hoping to get a new 20D is now put on hold from the bugs reported from new
users. 1 Now the pictures are too dark with the flash, 2 has lockup
problems, some show too dark without using a flash,3 raw converting
software shows banding, what else? I would hate to get one know knowing that
I might have to send it back.
I will still get one soon, as the good pictures look great.

Old September 22nd 04, 09:52 PM
Skip M

"Jerry" wrote in message
Hoping to get a new 20D is now put on hold from the bugs reported from new
users. 1 Now the pictures are too dark with the flash, 2 has lockup
problems, some show too dark without using a flash,3 raw converting
software shows banding, what else? I would hate to get one know knowing

that
I might have to send it back.
I will still get one soon, as the good pictures look great.

Where have you seen complaints on the flash metering? Mine is perfect,
better than the 10D or D30 that currently reside here.
I have had the lockup problem, lest anyone accuse me of being a Canon
apologist. And that banding, on the example I saw, was on an image that had
been pushed to ISO6400 in DPP, so I'm not sure how much of a problem that
might be in the real world. I shot one at ISO1600 yesterday that is clean.
http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...es&p icture=4
But it's a jpeg, not raw, but with metering this good, images this sharp,
and d/ls so fast, why shoot RAW? ;-)

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old September 22nd 04, 10:01 PM
Phil Wheeler

Skip M wrote:

"Jerry" wrote in message

Hoping to get a new 20D is now put on hold from the bugs reported from new
users. 1 Now the pictures are too dark with the flash, 2 has lockup
problems, some show too dark without using a flash,3 raw converting
software shows banding, what else? I would hate to get one know knowing

that

I might have to send it back.
I will still get one soon, as the good pictures look great.

Where have you seen complaints on the flash metering? Mine is perfect,
better than the 10D or D30 that currently reside here.

Given the odds and vagaries among users -- not to mention the Trolls --
you can probably find a post finding fault with any particular feature
of the 20D.

I do find the "I will still get one soon" statement amusing.

Phil

Old September 22nd 04, 11:35 PM
Eric

"Jerry" wrote in message
Hoping to get a new 20D is now put on hold from the bugs reported from new
users. 1 Now the pictures are too dark with the flash, 2 has lockup
problems, some show too dark without using a flash,3 raw converting
software shows banding, what else? I would hate to get one know knowing
that
I might have to send it back.
I will still get one soon, as the good pictures look great.

I've had one lockup with the 20D after removing and replacing the CF card
and changing lenses. Had to remove and reinsert the battery to revive the
camera. On my copy, the built-in flash does underexpose slightly but I may
need to learn more about E-TTL2. Have not shot raw yet.

Eric

Old September 23rd 04, 04:33 AM
Gary Eickmeier

Jerry wrote:
Hoping to get a new 20D is now put on hold from the bugs reported from new
users. 1 Now the pictures are too dark with the flash, 2 has lockup
problems, some show too dark without using a flash,3 raw converting
software shows banding, what else? I would hate to get one know knowing that
I might have to send it back.
I will still get one soon, as the good pictures look great.

You are correct sir.

Gary Eickmeier

Old September 23rd 04, 06:20 AM
Skip M

"Eric" wrote in message
. ..
"Jerry" wrote in message
Hoping to get a new 20D is now put on hold from the bugs reported from

new
users. 1 Now the pictures are too dark with the flash, 2 has lockup
problems, some show too dark without using a flash,3 raw converting
software shows banding, what else? I would hate to get one know knowing
that
I might have to send it back.
I will still get one soon, as the good pictures look great.

I've had one lockup with the 20D after removing and replacing the CF card
and changing lenses. Had to remove and reinsert the battery to revive the
camera. On my copy, the built-in flash does underexpose slightly but I

may
need to learn more about E-TTL2. Have not shot raw yet.

Eric

My 20D exposes perfectly with my 420EX, Much better than either my D30 or my
wife's 10D. The only time I used the on board flash, it did underexpose a
little, but the subject distance may have been the culprit, there. The pop
up ain't all that strong!