Agfa Viradon???????

Old June 28th 12, 01:36 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
polly filler

Default Agfa Viradon???????

Hi All,

Have just tried Agfa Viradon to try and brown tone my photograph to make it
look like an old picture
as it was taken on an old camera.
The paper used was Ilford multigrade 1V RC size 16" x 12" well washed.
The instructions said dilute at 50 -1 and immerse print for 2 to 10 minuets.
After 20 minuets nothing had happened so I increased the strenght to 1-25.
After 45 minuets still nothing had happened to the print, but the viradon
went all "murky"

Could someone please explain why my print wouldn't tone, also I tried to
tone in some sepia after but it
wouldn't sepia either. Why?????????

Thanks in advance

Old June 28th 12, 06:08 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"polly filler" wrote in message
o.uk...
Hi All,

Have just tried Agfa Viradon to try and brown tone my
photograph to make it look like an old picture
as it was taken on an old camera.
The paper used was Ilford multigrade 1V RC size 16" x 12"
well washed.
The instructions said dilute at 50 -1 and immerse print
for 2 to 10 minuets.
After 20 minuets nothing had happened so I increased the
strenght to 1-25.
After 45 minuets still nothing had happened to the print,
but the viradon went all "murky"

Could someone please explain why my print wouldn't tone,
also I tried to tone in some sepia after but it
wouldn't sepia either. Why?????????

Thanks in advance

Some papers don't tone very well but you should have
gotten some color change. Two versions of Viradon were made:
The older one was a combination of selenium and polysulfide
similar to Kodak Polytoner and the later one was sulfide
only similar to Kodak Brown Toner. The polysulfide toner
works very slowly unless heated. You might try heating the
toner to about 120F. After toning the print should be
treated in a bath of sodium sulfite to stop the toning and
get rid of the yellow stain. I've found that Kodak Hypo
Clearing Agent works fine. I think this has been
discontinued but Ilford's hypo remover should work. I use
the clearing agent at normal working strength.
Polysulfide toner has the virtue of toning all
densities at the same rate so will provide considerable
image protection even when only partial toning has been
done.
It has the peculiar property of toning _faster_ when
diluted or partly exhausted and if too weak can leave a
peach-colored stain which is very difficult to remove.
What kind of Sepia toner did you try?

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Old July 2nd 12, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
polly filler

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message

[...]

Hi many thanks for the reply, I used fotospeed sepia toner.
I'll try it with my dishwarmer under the tray.

Old July 3rd 12, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"polly filler" wrote in message
news

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in
message

[...]

There are several type of "sepia" toner. The one
usually called this is a two step, bleach and redevelop,
toner. Some newer papers are very hard to bleach. If this
is the problem you are having you may have to try mixing
your own toner. Kodak was selling Sepia Toner II
specifically for newer papers but I think its been
discontinued along with nearly all Kodak chemicals. Other
sepia toners are one-step. The polysulfide type like
Viradon, is one, others have to be mixed yourself. There are
many variations of these but the formulas for Kodak and
Ansco or AGFA are reliable. Google should find formulas or
post here and I will send some.
Note that all sulfiding toners smell from hydrogen
sulfide (rotten egg odor) and are best used outdoors.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL

Old July 3rd 12, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
polly filler

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Many thanks for the info

Agfa Viradon polly filler In The Darkroom 3 June 20th 11 07:22 PM
Agfa APX 25 - others? whitewave In The Darkroom 35 February 17th 05 04:18 PM
Agfa Jim Phelps In The Darkroom 30 August 24th 04 09:00 PM
agfa fast film patents AGFA mgmt buys film division Medium Format Photography Equipment 0 August 23rd 04 02:14 AM
Agfa 25 -- 120 Bob Stewart Medium Format Equipment For Sale 3 January 28th 04 10:17 PM