"You're so ugly, you could be a modern-art masterpiece!"

Old February 2nd 12, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

Default "You're so ugly, you could be a modern-art masterpiece!"

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 06:45:29 -0800 (PST), RichA wrote:

Will all due credit to the writers of "Full Metal Jacket."

http://4.s.img-dpreview.com/files/ne...p01.jpg?v=1322

A Jeep is ugly compared to a Ferrari, does a better job
under some conditions.
Old February 2nd 12, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Irwell writes:

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 06:45:29 -0800 (PST), RichA wrote:

Will all due credit to the writers of "Full Metal Jacket."

http://4.s.img-dpreview.com/files/ne...p01.jpg?v=1322

A Jeep is ugly compared to a Ferrari, does a better job
under some conditions.

Well, "pretty" and "ugly" are aesthetic matters, hence they're matters
of personal taste.

There's absolutely no question that a Jeep does a better job under some
conditions, though. (Or the Ferrari in others.)

Are there any conditions (not so super-specific as to be mere stunts)
where there's serious question which of those two would do better?
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old February 2nd 12, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 13:17:13 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet
wrote:

Irwell writes:

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 06:45:29 -0800 (PST), RichA wrote:

Will all due credit to the writers of "Full Metal Jacket."

http://4.s.img-dpreview.com/files/ne...p01.jpg?v=1322

A Jeep is ugly compared to a Ferrari, does a better job
under some conditions.

Well, "pretty" and "ugly" are aesthetic matters, hence they're matters
of personal taste.

There's absolutely no question that a Jeep does a better job under some
conditions, though. (Or the Ferrari in others.)

Are there any conditions (not so super-specific as to be mere stunts)
where there's serious question which of those two would do better?

Driving through London. (I think the Ferrari's clutch would start to
complain.)

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old February 2nd 12, 09:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

wrote:

Irwell writes:

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 06:45:29 -0800 (PST), RichA wrote:

Will all due credit to the writers of "Full Metal Jacket."

http://4.s.img-dpreview.com/files/ne...p01.jpg?v=1322

A Jeep is ugly compared to a Ferrari, does a better job
under some conditions.

Well, "pretty" and "ugly" are aesthetic matters, hence they're matters
of personal taste.

There's absolutely no question that a Jeep does a better job under some
conditions, though. (Or the Ferrari in others.)

Are there any conditions (not so super-specific as to be mere stunts)
where there's serious question which of those two would do better?

Driving through London. (I think the Ferrari's clutch would start to
complain.)

That might be the right idea. Jeep is too big, Ferrari doesn't like the
stop and go? (Although many of the jeeps do have quite small turning
circles.)

Old February 2nd 12, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

Irwell writes:

[...]

"Jeep is too big"?

I guess I'm showing my age. I meant a proper Jeep as in
http://www.homiefm.de/fotos/thementa..._Army_Jeep.jpg
but when I went sewarch Google images for a picture of a proper Jeep I
found all kinds of bloated SUVs masquerading under that name. At least
I didn't see a Hummer.

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old February 2nd 12, 11:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

wrote:

Irwell writes:

[...]

Ah, but the question was what situations would a Jeep and a Ferrari be
*competitive* in -- what situations is it not obvious which one would be
best? I'm wondering if their practical range of application overlaps
*at all*.

Clearly the ferrari would win on a drag strip, and on a twisty
well-paved road. Clearly the Jeep would win in real off-road terrain.

(Where "win" is a question of "doing better" at the task, not just a
simple-minded "faster" or something. Which means some cases will be
arguable, but that's half the fun.)
Old February 3rd 12, 12:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

Irwell writes:

[...]

Bringing back the groceries from the supermarket?

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old February 3rd 12, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich[_6_]

David Dyer-Bennet wrote in
:

http://4.s.img-dpreview.com/files/ne...-01-Group01.jp
[...]

Huh. You could probably motivate an SRT Jeep to outrun a Ferrari on a
drag strip, with a little work, less by far than the cost of the Ferrari.

Old February 3rd 12, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 20:18:24 -0600, Rich wrote:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote in
:

wrote:

Irwell writes:

[...]

Its been done. http://www.billhughes.com/dragjeeps/JeepsterHotRod.jpg

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old February 3rd 12, 04:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

Irwell writes:

[...]

FIAT which owns Ferrari and the majority share of Chrysler has already
thought of other options:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...NEWS/120209959

....and then there is always this, the "Jerrari":

http://www.jpmagazine.com/featuredve...ari/index.html

http://www.jpmagazine.com/featuredve.../photo_01.html

Savageduck