SEEK: utility to add file date to name

Old March 4th 09, 12:33 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
jasper

Default SEEK: utility to add file date to name

I want to date stamp my image files (JPEG, GIF, etc).

Is there a free utility for WinXP which renames a file by adding
the file's Modified Date to it's file name?

---

For example, a file called "DIAGRAM.GIF" modified on 15 June
2008 gets renamed as "DIAGRAM 15-JUNE-2008.GIF"
Old March 4th 09, 12:50 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Joe Makowiec

On 04 Mar 2009 in rec.photo.digital, jasper wrote:

I want to date stamp my image files (JPEG, GIF, etc).

Is there a free utility for WinXP which renames a file by adding
the file's Modified Date to it's file name?

---

For example, a file called "DIAGRAM.GIF" modified on 15 June
2008 gets renamed as "DIAGRAM 15-JUNE-2008.GIF"

Exiftool does this nicely:

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old March 4th 09, 01:02 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
jasper

On 04 Mar 2009, Joe Makowiec wrote:
On 04 Mar 2009 in rec.photo.digital, jasper wrote:

I want to date stamp my image files (JPEG, GIF, etc).

Is there a free utility for WinXP which renames a file by
adding the file's Modified Date to it's file name?

---

For example, a file called "DIAGRAM.GIF" modified on 15
June 2008 gets renamed as "DIAGRAM 15-JUNE-2008.GIF"

Exiftool does this nicely:

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Exiftool? My image files do not contain any data in the EXIF
fields.

I want to rename the files to make the name include the file's
Modified Date as displayed in XP's file properties.

(If it makes it clearer, you could assume these files are not
image files.)
Old March 4th 09, 01:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_9_]

Default utility to add file date to name

jasper wrote:
I want to date stamp my image files (JPEG, GIF, etc).

Is there a free utility for WinXP which renames a file by adding
the file's Modified Date to it's file name?

---

For example, a file called "DIAGRAM.GIF" modified on 15 June
2008 gets renamed as "DIAGRAM 15-JUNE-2008.GIF"

Try PIE - Picture Information Extractor

http://www.picmeta.com/products/pict...-extractor.htm

It doesn't rely on EXIF data, although it can use it if it exists.

Not free, but perhaps there's a trial period?

David
Old March 4th 09, 02:06 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

jasper wrote:
Exiftool? My image files do not contain any data in the EXIF
fields.
I want to rename the files to make the name include the file's
Modified Date as displayed in XP's file properties.

Well, then I wonder, what your question has to do with photography.

(If it makes it clearer, you could assume these files are not
image files.)

This 4 line Perl script will do that simple job nicely:

for (@ARGV){
my ($day, $month, $year) = (localtime((stat($_))[9]))[3..5];
$year += 1900; $month += 1;
rename $_, "$year-$month-$day-$_";
}

jue
Old March 4th 09, 03:29 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Susan Bugher

jasper wrote:
On 04 Mar 2009 in rec.photo.digital, jasper wrote:

I want to date stamp my image files (JPEG, GIF, etc).

Is there a free utility for WinXP which renames a file by
adding the file's Modified Date to it's file name?

For example, a file called "DIAGRAM.GIF" modified on 15
June 2008 gets renamed as "DIAGRAM 15-JUNE-2008.GIF"

I want to rename the files to make the name include the file's
Modified Date as displayed in XP's file properties.

THE Rename can do that. See the "FileDateEx" topic in the help file.

Program: THE Rename
Author: Hervé Thouzard
Windows 95; 98; ME; 2000; XP; Windows Server 2003
Wa (Donationware) (free)
http://www.herve-thouzard.com/
http://www.herve-thouzard.com/therename.zip

Changing the subject. The Rename (primarily a file renamer) can also
change the file date. Photographers take note. . .

Change files date and time

This option allows you to modify creation's date, last access date and
the last modification's date for a file. You can also modify the timestamp.

snip

The EXIF option is very usefull if you have photos you have made with
your digital camera. Recent cameras add information about date and time
(and many other things) inside the photos. You can use this date and
time (if they are available) to change the file's date and time.

/q

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com/advanced_group....comp.freeware
Old March 4th 09, 03:32 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

jasper wrote:
I want to date stamp my image files (JPEG, GIF, etc).

Is there a free utility for WinXP which renames a file by adding
the file's Modified Date to it's file name?

---

For example, a file called "DIAGRAM.GIF" modified on 15 June
2008 gets renamed as "DIAGRAM 15-JUNE-2008.GIF"

The freeware program renamemaster.exe will do what you want. It's a
standalone program, just save and create a shortcut to it.
Dave Cohen

Author: Hervé Thouzard
[...]

Looks good. It's not exactly "intuitive" is it?

Can't find how to change to another folder!

Old March 4th 09, 04:46 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Susan Bugher

Author: Hervé Thouzard
Windows 95; 98; ME; 2000; XP; Windows Server 2003
Wa (Donationware) (free)
http://www.herve-thouzard.com/
http://www.herve-thouzard.com/therename.zip

Looks good. It's not exactly "intuitive" is it?

grin It is a bit daunting at first. Persevere and things will get easier.

Can't find how to change to another folder!

Look at the tabs that are shown on top of the right pane - select
"folders" to see the folder navigation tree.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
Old March 4th 09, 08:39 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Justin C[_6_]

In article , Jürgen Exner wrote:
jasper wrote:
Exiftool? My image files do not contain any data in the EXIF
fields.
I want to rename the files to make the name include the file's
Modified Date as displayed in XP's file properties.

Well, then I wonder, what your question has to do with photography.

(If it makes it clearer, you could assume these files are not
image files.)

This 4 line Perl script will do that simple job nicely:

for (@ARGV){
my ($day, $month, $year) = (localtime((stat($_))[9]))[3..5];
$year += 1900; $month += 1;
rename $_, "$year-$month-$day-$_";
}

I was going to suggest Perl, but that there would a steep learning
curve... but you went one, or several better and provide a solution.
Nice.

Had to refer to docs to fully understand it though. Impenetrable, but
elegant in it's brevity.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.