How to automatically lossless rotate pictures in WinXP (keyword is automatic)

Old May 22nd 08, 02:54 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Donna

Default How to automatically lossless rotate pictures in WinXP (keyword is automatic)

On Thu, 22 May 2008 03:29:39 -0700, John Corliss wrote:

There's pretty much no way for a program to tell if an image is on it's
side though (AFAIK), so as far as being able to do it automatically, I
doubt that there's any way for that to happen.

Hi John,
We did it!

The great thing about this newsgroup is, alone I couldn't figure it out;
but, together, we found the solution, working off of each other!

In fact, we found two Irfanview batch solutions!

SOLUTION #1: (meets the batch but presumably not the lossless criteria):
a) Set Irfanview "Options-Properties" to "Auto-rotate image according to
EXIF info"
b) Set "File-Batch conversion-Options" to "Keep original EXIF data"
c) Set "File-Batch conversion-Options" to "Reset EXIF orientation tag"
d) Set "JPEG Save Quality" to 100%
e) Optionally, set "Rename Options-Name Pattern" to $E274 $E36868(%Y%m%d
%H%M%S)

Note: This last step renames the photograph so you can easily sort the
various orientations in Windows.

SOLUTION #2: (meets the batch and presumably almost lossless criteria):
a) Open a JPG in a batch of JPGs, using WinXP Irfanview 4.00 freeware.
b) Select Irfanview "File-Thumbnails"
c) Click "Options-Select all"
d) Set "File-JPEG Lossless Operations-Lossless transformation with
selected" to "(o)Auto rotate (according to EXIF orientation, if available)"

Note: Or just press the following key combinations:
a) Open a JPG in Irfanview
b) Press "t", then "control + a", then "shift + j", & hit "enter".

My main question left is can someone easily explain the algorithm for which
corner is which in the EXIF Orientation specification?

Old May 22nd 08, 03:27 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Susan Bugher

Donna wrote:

X----------+ +----------X +----------+
| ^ | | | | |
| ^ | | | | |
| ^ | | | | |
+----------+ +----------+ X----------+
EXIF Orientation EXIF Orientation EXIF Orientation
X=Top left X=Right top X=Left bottom

I'm not sure I get the algorithm.
Can someone explain the logic of this EXIF Orientation tag?

X is the top left corner of the rotated image.

The right/left/top/bottom "names" of the corners don't change when you
rotate the camera. Using your examples above the corner names (reading
from left to right and top to bottom are):

LT = X, RT RT = X, RB LB = X, LT
LB, RB LT, LB RB, RT

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com/advanced_group....comp.freeware

Old May 23rd 08, 05:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Donna

On Thu, 22 May 2008 11:12:58 +1000, Jeff R. wrote:

180° ?
Fascinating!

I couldn't find a 180 on my PC but the point is the same whether it's 90,
180, or 270 degree rotation.

Every once in a while, I do a 180, mainly when the SLR won't fit in a tight
spot, like those I take at http://www.flickr.com/donnaohl , but I do agree
with you that 180 is rare.

90 is the most common for me and 270 happens a lot.
Old May 23rd 08, 05:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Donna

On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:27:22 -0400, Susan Bugher wrote:

The right/left/top/bottom "names" of the corners don't change when you
rotate the camera. Using your examples above the corner names (reading
from left to right and top to bottom are):

I still don't understand the logic of this EXIF Orientation tag.

Is there a good web page that explains why it seems opposite from what
you'd expect it to be?
Old May 23rd 08, 10:48 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Gregory Paret

Bruce. wrote:

"Donna" wrote in message

So, I ask ...

Do you know of a Windows freeware program that automatically orients
pictures losslessly, in batch mode?

Yes, FastStone Image Viewer. I just started using it and it can
automatically batch rotate pictures based on the orientation flag in the
EXIF data. I use it with my Canon and it works great and automatically.

http://www.faststone.org/

Tools - JPEG Lossless Rotate - Auto Rotate Based on EXIF Orientation Tag.

As does my current favorite, for some time now, XnView.

Tools - JPEG Lossless transformations - Rotate based on EXIF value

-Greg.
Old May 24th 08, 11:03 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Paul Allen

On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:01:26 +0100, bugbear wrote:

OK - gotta' ask; what is the purpose or rotating the camera though 180
degrees?

Some tripods allow you to attach the head either on the top of the
extension tube or on the bottom. When on the bottom, the camera is
*upside down*. The resulting images need a 180 degree rotation.

Paul Allen
Old May 26th 08, 09:52 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Father Guido

On 22 May 2008 10:09:43 GMT, Chris Malcolm
wrote:

In rec.photo.digital bugbear wrote:
Donna wrote:
Is there a way in Windows to automatically orient portraits head-side up?

I only snap portraits (anything else is a postcard, in my opinion) ... and
I often orient the camera at 90, 180, or 270 degrees of normal - therefore

OK - gotta' ask; what is the purpose or rotating
the camera though 180 degrees?

Some cameras have viewfinders or LCDs which can be seen from above but
not below, such as TLRs. In that case when you hold it at arm's length
over your head to see over heads in a crowd, holding it upside down
enables you to aim and compose the shot.

My camera has a high angle view, for taking pictures over your head.
But I've used this view to take pictures upside down through my legs.
Much easier on me to get a low level shot than to crawl on the ground.