cameraz camera

Old April 13th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

Default cameraz camera

RHJ, the OP:
I am new to this group. I have just been bitten by the large format bug.
I have a camerz dsl camera. It has a electronic lens and I was wondering
if anyone has any information on it. I've searched the internet to no
avail. I am attempting to modify it and any information would be helpful.

[information provided, advice given, opinions opinioned...]

RHJ, again:
Who said I was going to use it in the field? I am interested in using the
camera as a testbed for experimenting in my lab.

Announcing "I am new ... I have just been bitten...any info",
is different from "I am building myself an optical bench on a
shoestring. Anyone have the pin-out for a Cameraz xxxx lens
assembly?"

Calm down, try again. A fit of apoplexy, and a tendency to make
a fool of oneself, is the usual induction into Usenet.

Old April 18th 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
darkroommike

Oh so you're getting snippy with all of us for not answering
questions YOU DIDN'T ASK in you original post.

Entire text of original post quoted:

"I am new to this group. I have just been bitten by the
large format bug. I have a camerz dsl camera. It has a
electronic lens and I was wondering if anyone has any
information on it. I've searched the internet to no avail. I
am attempting to modify it and any information would be
helpful."

"large format bug" usually implies (without modifier) use
of a view camera in the studio or field.

"I am wondering if anyone has any information on it" we
supplied you with a lot of information but were not able to
address you specific inquiry because you did not make a
specific inquiry just asked for any information...

To assist you with your original question, if this camera is
a Camerz (not Cameraz--see subject line of original post,
you can contact http://www.photo-control.com/ for pinouts,
manuals, etc.

"I've searched the internet to no avail." I found a URL for
Photo Control Camerz on Google within 20 seconds.

"I am attempting to modify it and any information would be
helpful." Again no clue as to how you are planning to
modify the camera so again from you original post we all
assumed it had something to do with large format
photography, and we supplied you with a lot of information.

darkroommike

Richard Herbert Johnson wrote:
darkroommike wrote:
Bob has been in this business man and boy for a hell of a long time
and further works for a big importer of all things photographic
including some of the best large format lenses on the planet (which
you would know if you'd been on Usenet more than twenty minutes). He
puts up with a lot of crap from all of us (and we all know he has an
axe to grind for his paymasters (grin)) but is also one hell of a
resource for all questions photographic. He can be a bit short at
times but you were just plain rude.

I was justifiably annoyed at his curt response that did not even address
my question.

These old long roll cameras are practically useless in the field
unless you plan on packing a very long extension cord.

Who said I was going to use it in the field? I am interested in using
the camera as a testbed for experimenting in my lab.
Shutters are
electrically fired

I know the shutter is electrically fired. What I need to know is what
the various pins are on the standard db 9 connector used. (There are 4
pins used out of 9)
and many of the cameras also use electric motors to
advance the film. They can be a PITA to load and unload without a big
changing bag or a darkroom, they use long rolls of 35mm, 46mm, 70mm
(or wider) film. And they weigh a flippin' ton. Your choices of
emulsions today would probably begin and end with Kodak and Fuji color
negative, the film is in 100 foot rolls, you'll need some sort or long
roll processing rig to process and print the negatives. In all
respects this is the exact antithesis of a large format camera, which
can be used to expose film under almost any conditions in the field,
individual sheets of film can be processed and printed to exacting
standards (Zone System, etc.).

I have already torn off all of the antiquated electrical stuff. I am
using the base camera because it is solid and well machined. I need
something that is heavy and stable. I am using the parts I already have
because I am having fun doing it and I can feel good about not wasting
resources.

To be fair I should add that I have seen adapters that fit in place of
the long roll magazines for a graflok back or other contrivance that
permit ground glass viewing and use of regular roll film backs.

These
were employed for focus checking and test work (and the occasional job
that was too small to justify loading up 100 feet of film.) If your
outfit did not come with the back you could probably buy one
(expensive but try Photo Control) or make one. I don't know anything
about your skill level but you original question didn't inspired any
confidence in your DIY talents.

Camerez produced a lot of different models over the years with
different lenses, most of the lenses would not cover 4x5 but you can
Google to find the image circle of the lenses on your system. If they
do cover (possible) they are probably Tessar derivations with little
or no excess coverage or telephoto designs like my Wollensak 254mm
Raptar telephoto which will just barely cover (I've been told). Tele
lenses rarely, if ever, require big view camera type corrections. And
portrait lenses never do. The Raptar is going onto my Speed Graphic
when I find the time. Probably used with a 6x9 roll film back.

Why not start with something easier? This week I bought an Omega View
D for $68 and a Graphic View for $56.00. I need only add a lens and
tripod to either and I'm good to go.

"...but I am not stupid."

rude and stupid

"I asked for information on the lens."

stupid again, would have been useful to tell us which lens is
currently attached to this monster since lenses do interchange.

not true. this lens only fits this camera. The whole module is designed
to plug into the db9 connector on the camera to provide the control
signals for the shutter and iris. The lens elements can be changed but
the shutter and iris is an integral part of the design of the camera.
Being a SLR it is designed with some features that would not be possible
with a standard view camera . (Anyone who has taken one of these
"Monsters" apart would know what I am talking about)

"You do know what a lens is used for don't you?"

rude and stupid again, Bob sells lenses for a living

darkroommike

Like I said before, I am not stupid. Just because I am not a
professional does not mean that I have no intelligence. I asked a
specific question about the camera. I did not ask for opinions
concerning the use of the camera. None of you seem to get that. Who is
stupid ?

And who is rude ? All I wanted was help with a simple problem. Instead I
get jumped on by a bunch of arrogant know it alls that don't want to
admit that they don't know.

Old April 22nd 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
SFHilary

Well this is a very unusual thread to find in large format land. I
don't have the pin out for the shutter but I do have a complete
working set-up of the Camerz SLR 35mm long crop format with
instructions and case. It can be yours (or anybody's) for the cost of
the shipping and handling. It served me well in the mid nineties of
the last century and I don't think I can keep it long enough for it to
become an antique. So write me at if you would
like it.

Hilary