thoughts on Canon A630 (8 MP) Vs A710 (7 MP)

Old December 20th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ab sell

Default thoughts on Canon A630 (8 MP) Vs A710 (7 MP)

any thoughts - the only difference between A630 (8 MP) Vs A710 (7 MP)
is:

4 vs 2 batteries
8 MP vs 7 MP

Old December 20th 06, 06:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On 19 Dec 2006 21:11:09 -0800, ab sell wrote:

any thoughts - the only difference between A630 (8 MP) Vs A710 (7 MP)
is:

4 vs 2 batteries
8 MP vs 7 MP

Check what I have to say because my memory may not be 100%
accurate, and it's too late or I don't have the energy at the moment
to check it myself, but . . .

The A630 has a smaller LCD display, but it is the much more useful
type that swivels and rotates.

The A630 is able to focus quicker and more accurately in low
light, even without using the AF illuminator.

The A710 has a 6x zoom lens vs the A630's 4x zoom.

The A630 is better for noise free shots in low light because it
uses a larger sensor, 1/1.8" vs the A710's 1/2.5" sensor.

For stationary subjects in dim light, the A710 can take steadier
shots due to having IS, which the A630 lacks.

Old December 20th 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

ASAAR wrote:
The A630 is better for noise free shots in low light because it
uses a larger sensor, 1/1.8" vs the A710's 1/2.5" sensor.

For stationary subjects in dim light, the A710 can take steadier
shots due to having IS, which the A630 lacks.

Doesn't the A630's better low light sensitivity mitigate this?

BugBear
Old December 20th 06, 11:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:39:40 +0000, bugbear wrote:

The A630 is better for noise free shots in low light because it
uses a larger sensor, 1/1.8" vs the A710's 1/2.5" sensor.

For stationary subjects in dim light, the A710 can take steadier
shots due to having IS, which the A630 lacks.

Doesn't the A630's better low light sensitivity mitigate this?

Somewhat, but not enough to match the A710's IS (sez I, who has
never used an A710). But as I said, only for stationary objects.
If they're moving, IS won't help avoid subject blur. So when IS can
be used (and is needed), it's a probably a little better, otherwise
the advantage would go to the A6x0's with their larger sensors. In
any case, for the *best* shots of stationary subjects, a tripod
can't be beat, and makes the A710 little more than an A700.

Old December 20th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SimonLW

"ab sell" wrote in message
ps.com...
any thoughts - the only difference between A630 (8 MP) Vs A710 (7 MP)
is:

4 vs 2 batteries
8 MP vs 7 MP

I have the the A540 and A610. The A710 uses a similar sized (read tiny)
sensor as the A540. I find it to be noisy for my needs so I'm giving it away
as a gift this Xmas. The A610/620, A630/640 is on a whole other level in
image quality.

The A710 has a longer zoom and IS. It is a bit smaller and lighter but more
plasticy. The A630 has a solid look and feel of a quality machine with the
aluminum lens rings and front panel.
-S

Old December 20th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

"SimonLW" writes:
I have the the A540 and A610. The A710 uses a similar sized (read tiny)
sensor as the A540. I find it to be noisy for my needs so I'm giving it away
as a gift this Xmas. The A610/620, A630/640 is on a whole other level in
image quality.

Hmm, is the 710 noisier than the 540? I sometimes think of getting a
710 because of its IS, though it has too many pixels for my
preferences. I now have a 530 (fairly similar to 540) and its noise
levels are tolerable for the way I use it.
Old December 20th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ab sell

Thanks for all your comments. I checked some reviews on Amazon and I
believe the batteries get drained faster in both of these.

Are any other similar Cameras with rechargable batteries better?

Old December 20th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

"ab sell" writes:
Thanks for all your comments. I checked some reviews on Amazon and I
believe the batteries get drained faster in both of these.

The 630 and 710? Battery life should be reasonably good with both,
especially the 630 (which uses four cells).

Are any other similar Cameras with rechargable batteries better?

The 540 and especially the 610/620 might run even longer, but the
difference shouldn't matter much.
Old December 20th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gianandrea Gobbo

On 20 Dic, 14:40, "ab sell" wrote:
Thanks for all your comments. I checked some reviews on Amazon and I
believe the batteries get drained faster in both of these.

Not the case at all!
the A710 get regularely over 350 pics, the 630 more (but not the
double) with standard 2500 NiMH.
If you look at some compact cameras with proprietary litium
rechargeables (for exaple the Ixus 65) do a lot worse.

g.

Old December 20th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On 20 Dec 2006 05:40:51 -0800, ab sell wrote:

Thanks for all your comments. I checked some reviews on Amazon and I
believe the batteries get drained faster in both of these.

Are any other similar Cameras with rechargable batteries better?

Unless you mean that batteries in the A530, A540 and A710IS don't
last as long as batteries in the A630 (which is true, since the
former use only two AA cells and the A630 uses 4), don't believe
comments from Amazon. Many or most similar cameras from other
manufacturers get many fewer shots per charge than these Canons.

The A530/A540 and A710IS have excellent battery life. Using
rechargeable NiMH batteries, the A710IS is rated at 360 shots per
charge if the flash is frequently used and the LCD display is used.
For non-flash photography and using the viewfinder, the A710IS can
take 900 shots per charge. I doubt that you'll find another camera
that gets more shots from a pair of NiMH batteries. You'd do well
to get your information from sources more reliable than Amazon, and
these would be most of the camera review websites frequently
mentioned in this newsgroup's messages. Read them often enough and
you'll eventually get to the point where you'll know which poster's
camera comments are objective and worth considering, which ones are
tainted by a predictable bias, and which ones (are you reading this,
kinga?) should never be considered except for laughs.