xmas neighbourhood watch

Old December 20th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
karburator

Default xmas neighbourhood watch

im trying to take a picture of some of my neighbour's pittoresque xmas
decorations...
but its hard. if i use flash, it just looks like daylight and u cant
really see the lights - which is the point
if i don't use flash, it just looks... dim.
i tried "using" street lights, even worse... nearby, from far away...
im stuck.

how can i make a good photo of windows and doors that are glowing in
the dark...

thnx

Old December 20th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Skip

"karburator" wrote in message
oups.com...
im trying to take a picture of some of my neighbour's pittoresque xmas
decorations...
but its hard. if i use flash, it just looks like daylight and u cant
really see the lights - which is the point
if i don't use flash, it just looks... dim.
i tried "using" street lights, even worse... nearby, from far away...
im stuck.

how can i make a good photo of windows and doors that are glowing in
the dark...

thnx

A long exposure is the only way...

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old December 20th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael Johnson

Skip wrote:
"karburator" wrote in message
oups.com...
im trying to take a picture of some of my neighbour's pittoresque xmas
decorations...
but its hard. if i use flash, it just looks like daylight and u cant
really see the lights - which is the point
if i don't use flash, it just looks... dim.
i tried "using" street lights, even worse... nearby, from far away...
im stuck.

how can i make a good photo of windows and doors that are glowing in
the dark...

thnx

A long exposure is the only way...

......with the camera on a tripod.
Old December 20th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Skip

"Michael Johnson" wrote in message
Skip wrote:
"karburator" wrote in message
oups.com...
im trying to take a picture of some of my neighbour's pittoresque xmas
decorations...
but its hard. if i use flash, it just looks like daylight and u cant
really see the lights - which is the point
if i don't use flash, it just looks... dim.
i tried "using" street lights, even worse... nearby, from far away...
im stuck.

how can i make a good photo of windows and doors that are glowing in
the dark...

thnx

A long exposure is the only way...

.....with the camera on a tripod.

That's a given... ;-)

Old December 20th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael Johnson

Skip wrote:
"karburator" wrote in message
oups.com...
im trying to take a picture of some of my neighbour's pittoresque xmas
decorations...
but its hard. if i use flash, it just looks like daylight and u cant
really see the lights - which is the point
if i don't use flash, it just looks... dim.
i tried "using" street lights, even worse... nearby, from far away...
im stuck.

how can i make a good photo of windows and doors that are glowing in
the dark...

thnx

A long exposure is the only way...

.....with the camera on a tripod.

That's a given... ;-)

I agree but sometimes it is good practice to state the obvious.
Old December 20th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Skip

Skip wrote:
"karburator" wrote in message
oups.com...
im trying to take a picture of some of my neighbour's pittoresque xmas
decorations...
but its hard. if i use flash, it just looks like daylight and u cant
really see the lights - which is the point
if i don't use flash, it just looks... dim.
i tried "using" street lights, even worse... nearby, from far away...
im stuck.

how can i make a good photo of windows and doors that are glowing in
the dark...

thnx

A long exposure is the only way...
.....with the camera on a tripod.

That's a given... ;-)

I agree but sometimes it is good practice to state the obvious.

Yup, then you don't get the follow up post, "all my Christmas light pics are
blurry..." Grin

Old December 20th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chuck

So far, even with a good digital camera, I've had better luck with film
cameras under the same conditions.
1. Fast film, fast lens, with more latitude than the usual digital sensor.
2. Autofocus is often confused by the conditions.
3. Manual focus is somewhat of a problem on many digital cameras, due to the
low light level and the methods used to display the image on the usual lcd
screen.
4. I can hand hold a film camera and expect good results. For equivilent
results, I end up using a tripod with the digital cameras.
(Oly OM-2 vs C8080)

Old December 20th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

Chuck wrote:
So far, even with a good digital camera, I've had better luck with
film cameras under the same conditions.
1. Fast film, fast lens, with more latitude than the usual digital
sensor.
2. Autofocus is often confused by the conditions.
3. Manual focus is somewhat of a problem on many digital cameras,
due
to the low light level and the methods used to display the image on
the usual lcd screen.
4. I can hand hold a film camera and expect good results. For
equivilent results, I end up using a tripod with the digital
cameras.
(Oly OM-2 vs C8080)

Worked for me (digital)
http://www.fototime.com/inv/F6C5EAFF157958F

--
Frank ess

Old December 20th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 12:39:30 -0500, Chuck wrote:

So far, even with a good digital camera, I've had better luck with film
cameras under the same conditions.
1. Fast film, fast lens, with more latitude than the usual digital
sensor. 2. Autofocus is often confused by the conditions. 3. Manual
focus is somewhat of a problem on many digital cameras, due to the low
light level and the methods used to display the image on the usual lcd
screen.
4. I can hand hold a film camera and expect good results. For equivilent
results, I end up using a tripod with the digital cameras. (Oly OM-2 vs
C8080)

Uh, I hate to break this to you but you're not comparing film and digital,
you're comparing a decent SLR with a so so point-and-shoot.

Skip wrote:
[...]

to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old December 20th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joseph Meehan

Michael Johnson wrote:
Skip wrote:
"karburator" wrote in message
oups.com...
im trying to take a picture of some of my neighbour's pittoresque
xmas decorations...
but its hard. if i use flash, it just looks like daylight and u cant
really see the lights - which is the point
if i don't use flash, it just looks... dim.
i tried "using" street lights, even worse... nearby, from far
away... im stuck.

how can i make a good photo of windows and doors that are glowing in
the dark...

thnx

A long exposure is the only way...

.....with the camera on a tripod.

I might add that the best, well some of the best most interesting shoots
are taken after (or during) a rain. The wet streets reflecting the lights
adds a lot of interest.

Play with the exposure. Depending on the camera you may be able to play
with the flash, although usually without the flash is best. If you want to
see something other than just the lights, consider taking photos at dusk.
Experiment to find just the right time.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit