Can I trim a negative?

Old March 24th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Can I trim a negative?

The question then becomes do you "own" the image as opposed to just having
the negative in your possession (I think we've covered this ground before
with you or someone else in the last month).

You can have a negative but not own the rights to reproduce the image. You
need a consultation with someone versed in the copyright laws in your
locality. Note that physically altering the negative will not alter the
original copyright (and I hope you're not trying to excise the owners
copyright imprint, many photographers used to write their copyright info on
their negatives with India Ink or imprint it with a gold stamping machine).

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the more I read in this thread the more
distressed I become.

--
darkroommike

"Pat Harkin" wrote in message

That's a great question.

"I will be selling 1-500 prints, and then I thought I would sell the
negative", wondering why he asked.

Peter Chant ) writes:
Pat Harkin wrote:

"Gabriel" ) writes:

The negative in question has great commercial value if sold on it's

own,
* as long as the offending small image has been removed. I suppose I

could
make a negative of the negative, and then cut it out, but then it

wouldn't
be the original.

Just for clarification. Do you want to sell the physical negative and
rights to it or prints taken from the negative?

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Old March 24th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Pat Harkin wrote:

That's a great question.

"I will be selling 1-500 prints, and then I thought I would sell the
negative", wondering why he asked.

Because (noting Mike Kings post following) for the prints there is no need
to trim the neg at all.

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old March 24th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Pat Harkin spake thus:

I have a 4 inch by 4 3/4 inch B & W negative from probably the early
1960's. It's on "Kodak Safety 482". Two quick questions. 1. Was there
anything special about this film, as in was it generally used by
professionals, or was it pretty common? 2. I would like to trim this down
a bit on all for sides. Do I risk flaking on the edges, and would a sharp
exacto knife be my best bet?

Hmm, vexing question, as you're being a bit coy about this (what is
this: is there a pornographic image in the corner? something
incriminating?).

In any case, another answer: yes, you can safely cut the negative with
scissors. I wouldn't worry about flaking; just stay a little way outside
the part of the image you want to keep. But now you have an odd-size
negative that you'll only be able to handle one of two ways:

1. Print using a glass negative carrier
2. Scan and print the scan.

--
Second, Scientologists are like computers trying to run an emulation
of another computer. It can be done, but the performance is awful.

- Keith Henson, from alt.religion.scientology
Old March 24th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:
Pat Harkin spake thus:

I have a 4 inch by 4 3/4 inch B & W negative from probably the early
1960's. It's on "Kodak Safety 482". Two quick questions. 1. Was there
anything special about this film, as in was it generally used by
professionals, or was it pretty common? 2. I would like to trim this down
a bit on all for sides. Do I risk flaking on the edges, and would a sharp
exacto knife be my best bet?

Hmm, vexing question, as you're being a bit coy about this (what is
this: is there a pornographic image in the corner? something
incriminating?).

I'm guessing "copyright so-and-so".

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

"We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others." - H.L.A. Hart
Old March 25th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Thor Lancelot Simon spake thus:

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Pat Harkin spake thus:

I have a 4 inch by 4 3/4 inch B & W negative from probably the
early 1960's. It's on "Kodak Safety 482". Two quick questions. 1.
Was there anything special about this film, as in was it
generally used by professionals, or was it pretty common? 2. I
would like to trim this down a bit on all for sides. Do I risk
flaking on the edges, and would a sharp exacto knife be my best
bet?

Hmm, vexing question, as you're being a bit coy about this (what is
this: is there a pornographic image in the corner? something
incriminating?).

I'm guessing "copyright so-and-so".

Well, in that case, then no, you absolutely cannot cut it!