Yet more evidence of the dominance of digital/demise of darkroom?

Old November 7th 04, 01:22 AM
Alan Smithee

"Gregory W Blank" wrote in message
news:7zcjd.2091$mL1.182@trnddc08...
In article Pncjd.135640$Pl.115025@pd7tw1no,
"Alan Smithee" wrote:

I would argue the little tiny space between the lens and the CCD on a
digital camera "is" a wee tiny little darkroom. Yes, this is
rec.photo.darkroom but nowhere does it have to say "traditional"

whatever
that means.

You can argue all you like in my kill file.
--

Good grief. I can see why people leave this place in droves. Last time I
checked my darkroom was loaded full of digital equipment, timers,

Old November 7th 04, 02:56 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 11/6/2004 1:51 PM jjs spake thus:

Aw, this digital argument is getting soooo old.

I'm a Vector fanatic. Anybody wanna argue Vectors vs. Raster? Come on. Make
my day.

Well, ****, that's easy: obviously, vectors are better!

In most cases. I speak semi-seriously since I'm a printer, and dread the times
that someone comes in with a business card design to be printed ... as a
Photoshop file. Bzzzzzt! Wrong format! (If I went ahead and printed it, they'd
say "How come all the type is so fuzzy?") Almost as bad as the folks who want
me to print stuff from Word documents and Powerpoint presentations ... not to
mention Micro$oft Publisher ...

On the other hand, I'd hate to have to process a 20x36" poster of a color
photograph as a vector file: my poor RIP would be grinding away for a week!

--
.... voting for John Kerry now is like voting for LBJ in 1964 with full
precognition of what he was going to do in Vietnam for the next four years.

- Alexander Cockburn in _Counterpunch_
(http://counterpunch.org/cockburn10282004.html)

Old November 7th 04, 03:22 AM
Ken Nadvornick

"David Nebenzahl" wrote:

Yet more evidence of the dominance of digital/demise of darkroom?

Data point: in the latest Costco catalog (no, I'm not a member, it's
someone else's), out of their offering of 36 cameras, only *one* is
not digital. (It's a Konica Minolta Maxxum 70 SLR.) Can you say
"nails in the coffin"?

DISCLAIMER: I'm no fan of digital. I love "traditional" wet
photography. I love old cameras. But I also try to recognize reality.

Hello David,

This is a darkroom group. The working definition of this term is commonly
understood by all those present, yourself included. The posters and readers
here enjoy exercising this particular photographic technology. The
processes required and the results they yield are satisfying to them. It is
their preferred method of photographic creativity. If this were not the
case, they would not be practicing this particular craft and not be reading
and posting here on this subject.

Yet even with the availability to you of this obvious, common knowledge, you
still choose to initiate a new discussion with such inflammatory comments as
"demise of darkroom" and "nails in the coffin." And in so doing you
intentionally choose to showcase yourself in an extremely poor light as
regards the fundamental purpose and day-to-day practices of this group.

Why is that?

Ken

Old November 8th 04, 08:45 PM
Tom Phillips

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Data point: in the latest Costco catalog (no, I'm not a member, it's someone
else's), out of their offering of 36 cameras, only *one* is not digital. (It's
a Konica Minolta Maxxum 70 SLR.) Can you say "nails in the coffin"?

DISCLAIMER: I'm no fan of digital. I love "traditional" wet photography. I
love old cameras. But I also try to recognize reality.

Oh gee, what will you do? Maybe you should just go digital.

I rue this trend the
same way I rue the results of the recent election.

Like you voted for the democrats (not.)

Old November 8th 04, 09:26 PM
Tom Phillips

"Alan Smithee" wrote:

I would argue the little tiny space between the lens and the CCD on a
digital camera "is" a wee tiny little darkroom. Yes, this is
rec.photo.darkroom but nowhere does it have to say "traditional" whatever
that means.

Bull ****. There simply is no end to digital moronic claims and
silly statements...

You can argue all you like in my kill file.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918