iMac Pro - available to order very soon!

Old December 26th 17, 02:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default iMac Pro - available to order very soon!

In article , David B.
wrote:

How well would the screen available in this package compare to an iMac's
27-inch iMac with Retina 4K display screen?

not as good.
Old December 26th 17, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2017-12-26 14:38:52 +0000, David B. said:

On 25/12/2017 05:30, RichA wrote:
On Thursday, 14 December 2017 15:08:10 UTC-5, Davoud wrote:
Whisky-dave:
Gonna be very expensive or rather a lot of money depending on how you
look at it. I think mac rumours thinbks the basic model will start at $5k.
I'd expect the 18 core to start at around $8k.

You understand that "expensive" and "lot of money" are relative to
one's desires, needs, and means, right?

As I see it the iMac Pro is cheap. Moving up a little from the base
model, a model equipped with a 3.0GHz 10-core Intel Xeon W processor,
64GB of RAM, a 4TB SSD, and a Radeon Pro Vega 64 with 16GB of RAM costs
$9100 after an organizational discount.

Compare to an SE/30, a quite capable machine in 1989. With 4MB of RAM
and an 80MB HD it cost $6569, which is $13,000 in 2017 dollars.

Thus a machine so powerful that its specs can't be compared to the
older machine costs only 70% of what the older machine cost.

Perhaps a better comparison would be a supercomputer such as the Cray,
priced in the $millions. The new iMac far outperforms many of the early
Crays. Cheap.

You can build a pretty respectable PC for $6.5k too. But IMO, people
would do well to consider the screen as a lens in a camera system and
invest there.

How well would the screen available in this package compare to an
iMac's 27-inch iMac with Retina 4K display screen?

https://www.johnlewis.com/dell-inspi...ilver/p3337539

This seems like quite good value.

It's a Dell so it got MS protection. Try to brand it Samsung...
--
teleportation kills

Old December 26th 17, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

On Thursday, 14 December 2017 15:08:10 UTC-5, DavoudÂ* wrote:
[...]

You can build a pretty respectable PC for $6.5k too.Â* But IMO, people
would do well to consider the screen as a lens in a camera system and
invest there.

How well would the screen available in this package compare to an iMac's
27-inch iMac with Retina 4K display screen?

https://www.johnlewis.com/dell-inspi...ilver/p3337539

You'd be looking to spend far upwards of £1000 to get a similarly
specced screen. Whether you'd notice or appreciate it is another matter
- I went from 27" non-Retina to Retina and I'm not sure how much I
notice the difference. Close up, though, and it's chalk/cheese.

This seems like quite good value.

Doesn't look too bad. But very different to an iMac Pro.

--
Cheers, Rob
Old December 26th 17, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 26/12/2017 14:53, nospam wrote:
In article , David B.
wrote:

How well would the screen available in this package compare to an iMac's
27-inch iMac with Retina 4K display screen?

not as good.

Thank you.

--
David B.
Old January 3rd 18, 12:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On Tuesday, 26 December 2017 12:06:31 UTC, android wrote:
On 2017-12-25 05:30:01 +0000, RichA said:

[...]

Youpp! The displays on these iMac Pros should be of the same standard
as those in the standard iMacs.

They aren;t they are better according to the specs, I;d expect them to
be better if called pro.

and I'm not impressed by those,
cosidering the price. I'd like to see the internals of the Pro in a
mini Pro...

Can't see the point of a mini Pro.

You get to chose the display yourself and it will be
replaceable/upgradeable... It's also a hassle getting an all in one to
service if some minor non user replaceable part fails.
--
teleportation kills

Old January 3rd 18, 05:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-01-03 14:53:29 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

and I'm not impressed by those,
cosidering the price. I'd like to see the internals of the Pro in a
mini Pro...

Can't see the point of a mini Pro.

You get to chose the display yourself

I used to do that when I was buying towers in the same way lots of PCs
are sold as a box and you then choose which monitor.
But I don't see the use of a mini pro or who it would be aimed at.

why would a pro be worried about the size and it will be
replaceable/upgradeable... It's also a hassle getting an all in one to
service if some minor non user replaceable part fails.

So again what's the point of a pro mini ?

So you when you don't have a comback then you mangled your quotes...

On 2018-01-03 12:58:23 +0000, android said:

and I'm not impressed by those,
cosidering the price. I'd like to see the internals of the Pro in a
mini Pro...

Can't see the point of a mini Pro.

You get to chose the display yourself and it will be
replaceable/upgradeable... It's also a hassle getting an all in one to
service if some minor non user replaceable part fails.

Q answered. EOD.
--
teleportation kills

Old January 3rd 18, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Watts

On 03/01/18 12:58, android wrote:

You get to chose the display yourself and it will be
replaceable/upgradeable... It's also a hassle getting an all in one to
service if some minor non user replaceable part fails.

Hold off on the iMac Pro - nasty Intel CPU bug just discovered!

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...u_design_flaw/
Old January 3rd 18, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 3, 2018, Tim Watts wrote
(in ):

On 03/01/18 12:58, android wrote:

You get to chose the display yourself and it will be
replaceable/upgradeable... It's also a hassle getting an all in one to
service if some minor non user replaceable part fails.

Hold off on the iMac Pro - nasty Intel CPU bug just discovered!

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...u_design_flaw/

We all know the anti-Apple position of The Register, It is not only Apple
that this bug is going to effect. Most importantly Apple has a fix.

Intel Memory Access Design Flaw Already Addressed by Apple in macOS 10.13.2

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/03/intel-design-flaw-fixed-macos-10-13-2/

Apple has already partially implemented fix in macOS for 'KPTI' Intel CPU
security flaw

http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/...ady-partially-
implemented-fix-in-macos-for-kpti-intel-cpu-security-flaw

Savageduck

Old January 3rd 18, 09:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Watts

On 03/01/18 21:42, Savageduck wrote:
On Jan 3, 2018, Tim Watts wrote
(in ):

On 03/01/18 12:58, android wrote:

You get to chose the display yourself and it will be
replaceable/upgradeable... It's also a hassle getting an all in one to
service if some minor non user replaceable part fails.

Hold off on the iMac Pro - nasty Intel CPU bug just discovered!

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...u_design_flaw/

We all know the anti-Apple position of The Register, It is not only Apple
that this bug is going to effect. Most importantly Apple has a fix.

Intel Memory Access Design Flaw Already Addressed by Apple in macOS 10.13.2

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/03/intel-design-flaw-fixed-macos-10-13-2/

Apple has already partially implemented fix in macOS for 'KPTI' Intel CPU
security flaw

http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/...ady-partially-
implemented-fix-in-macos-for-kpti-intel-cpu-security-flaw

It's interesting that Apple users are claiming no significant impact -
as their workaround must be essentially the same as everyone elses?

Anyway, it's hardly an anti Apple article!!!

All I'm saying is sit it out and see how the dust settles...
Old January 3rd 18, 10:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tim Watts
wrote:

Hold off on the iMac Pro - nasty Intel CPU bug just discovered!

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...u_design_flaw/

We all know the anti-Apple position of The Register, It is not only Apple
that this bug is going to effect. Most importantly Apple has a fix.

Intel Memory Access Design Flaw Already Addressed by Apple in macOS 10.13.2

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/03/intel-design-flaw-fixed-macos-10-13-2/

Apple has already partially implemented fix in macOS for 'KPTI' Intel CPU
security flaw

http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/...ady-partially-
implemented-fix-in-macos-for-kpti-intel-cpu-security-flaw

It's interesting that Apple users are claiming no significant impact -
as their workaround must be essentially the same as everyone elses?

intel claims no significant impact, although that's to be expected.

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/inte...y-research-fin
dings/
Contrary to some reports, any performance impacts are
workload-dependent, and, for the average computer user, should
not be significant and will be mitigated over time.