Windows 10. Horrible!

Old November 25th 17, 03:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

Default Windows 10. Horrible!

On 11/24/2017 9:58 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Nov 24, 2017, Ron C wrote
(in ):

On 11/24/2017 8:14 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 11/24/2017 7:52 PM, Ron C wrote:

snip

I haven't been following this thread, just dropped in to
check on potentially interesting thread drift.
Oddly, I'm with nospam on the ads thing. Seems one of
the first things I did when I set up Win 10 was to turn off
all the tiles.
The big pain for me is that I have Win 10 on a machine
that I use infrequently. Seems just about every time I use
the machine it installs updates that take ages to install.
It took 10+ minutes to boot this afternoon because it
was updating/installing something; 10+ minutes with
that sick greenish-yellow screen with the spinning dots.

It's a rare occasion, that I agree with nospam. I agree with you too. My
purpose for computing is to get things done. Those freak-en ads are a
major distraction. I suspect there is a legal way of blocking them,

If you really want to experience ad overload try an Amazon Fire.
My old tablet died and I recently got an Amazon Fire to replace it.
Seems all the built in apps are just an up-sell conduit to some
Amazon product or service.
Hell, I have wi-fi turned off and the start-up lock screen still shows
(apparently pre-loaded) ads.
I could go on... but enough on that for now...

Interesting. I don’t have that sort of ad issue with my iPad Pro which I
use to stream Amazon Prime, Netflix, and other streaming content via my home
network. I am also an Amazon Prime subscriber with the various Amazon Prime
apps installed, along with the iOS version of Kindle, and with those I have
an ad free environment.

I have some free weather apps where the adds are persistent, but that is
about it.

Had I been able to take the Fire (and/or some other tablet) for a prolonged
"test drive" I probably would have made a different choice.
~~
Ah, live and learn...
--
==
Later...

Old November 25th 17, 03:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/24/2017 9:31 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"PeterN" wrote

| You're probably at more risk as an Apple fan because
| you're used to a product that's designed to keep you
| in their private AOL-style shopping venue.
|

| Yeah! It seems every time I open iTunes on my Win10 machine, it tries to
| take me to the store to buy something at the iTunes store.

Hard to sympathize with that. "Seems like every
time I hang around with my drug dealer I end up
losing money and getting an STD." Yep.

You are conflating different issues. I was forced to use AOL mail
servers, after Verizon purchased AOL. When I need to use web mail, I am
bombarded with ads. AOL wants about five bucks a month to turn of the
ads. About a month before the AOL announcement, I entered into a two
year agreement with Verizon. All I am at liberty to say is that I am in
the middle of discussions at a corporate level.

--
PeterN
Old November 25th 17, 03:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"PeterN" wrote

| |
| | Yeah! It seems every time I open iTunes on my Win10 machine, it tries
| | take me to the store to buy something at the iTunes store.
| |

| Hard to sympathize with that. "Seems like every
| time I hang around with my drug dealer I end up
| losing money and getting an STD." Yep.
|
| You are conflating different issues.

It was just a joke, about using iTunes. Like so much
media software, it's more about selling than playing.

| I was forced to use AOL mail
| servers, after Verizon purchased AOL. When I need to use web mail, I am
| bombarded with ads. AOL wants about five bucks a month to turn of the
| ads. About a month before the AOL announcement, I entered into a two
| year agreement with Verizon. All I am at liberty to say is that I am in
| the middle of discussions at a corporate level.

Ick. You could have your own operation for that
price. I have a website host that I pay $9/month.
For that I get hosting and up to 100 email addresses
in my own domain that I manage myself.

Old November 25th 17, 03:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 11/24/2017 9:29 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"Ron C" wrote

| Oddly, I'm with nospam on the ads thing. Seems one of
| the first things I did when I set up Win 10 was to turn off
| all the tiles.

Yes, you can sort of do that. And the Start Menu, too?
You clean that up? And lock screen ads? It's all mild now.

I've worked my way from CPM through *-DOS, and most
variations of Windows .. and have (for the most part) only
used the Start Menu to log-off/shut down or change users.
~
Seems I've evolved a non-MS envisioned work flow. ;-)
~
I have yet to see a lock screen ad .. though I've heard the
rumors of their impending intrusion.

...Gigantic Snip of the rest...

--
==
Later...

Old November 25th 17, 03:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 11/24/2017 10:14 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 11/24/2017 9:31 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"PeterN" wrote

| *** You're probably at more risk as an Apple fan because
| you're used to a product that's designed to keep you
| in their private AOL-style shopping venue.
|

| Yeah! It seems every time I open iTunes on my Win10 machine, it
tries to
| take me to the store to buy something at the iTunes store.

*** Hard to sympathize with that. "Seems like every
time I hang around with my drug dealer I end up
losing money and getting an STD."*** Yep.

You are conflating different issues. I was forced to use AOL mail
servers, after Verizon purchased AOL. When I need to use web mail, I am
bombarded with ads. AOL wants about five bucks a month to turn of the
ads. About a month before the AOL announcement, I entered into a two
year agreement with Verizon. All I am at liberty to say is that I am in
the middle of discussions at a corporate level.

Same here, but I never use web mail .. thus never see the ads.
--
==
Later...

Old November 25th 17, 03:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 11/24/2017 10:52 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 22:14:12 -0500, Ron C wrote:

[...]

I have an Amazon Fire Stick plugged into the TV and use it to access
Netflix. I've never seen an ad for anything in using it.

Once a month I get an email from Amazon Fire TV telling me what's new
this month. I don't consider that to be a problem.

I'm quite pleased with the Amazon Fire Stick.

Not a tablet .. totally different world.
--
==
Later...

Old November 25th 17, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/24/2017 9:46 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Nov 24, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

Snip

Even worse, I want to try Aurora. I got a $10 dollar discount code
through a camera group. I wanted to see if I could do better. Do a
search Aurora HDR discount code. I stopped searching after the first few
led me directly to the Macphun site, with a message that no code was
needed. Yet Macphun honors the discount code. To my way of thinking
these other sites are practicing unethical marketing. i am not sure, but
I suspect that the only reason they do what they are doing, is they get
a commission. The sites I am referring to include such as "retail me
not," etc. If Macphun did not have a good reputation, that type of
marketing practice would make me wary of buying. If anyone thinks I went
too fr off topic, that's their problem.
End of mini rant.

It is always best to go directly to the developer site, questionable
intermediates have been known to be problematic. Some previously trustworthy
cheap/free app sources have become vectors for malware. That said, not all
sites offering additional discounts are toxic, so one needs to be alert to
bad playe4rs among the sincere offers.

As for Aurora HDR, I think you will find it very suitable for some of your
HDR work. It also does a good job on single exposure tone mapping. They have
some interesting presets (some a bit over the top), a layered workflow with
local adjustment brushes, and very flexible adjustments.

With the local adjustment brush, you can apply a preset, or personal
adjustments to a specifice area of the image. You also have the ability to
create your own presets.

...and they have a good library of video tutorials.

I agree completely, and have heard good things from others. Putting the
issue of malware aside, I feel very strongly that the publisher is
entitled to be paid. To the best of my knowledge, I have never used
unlicensed software. There is nothing wrong with trying to get the best
price, for legal software. I was shopping for the best discount codes
that Aurora will honor. I also looked at Luminar, which I think it is a
very good program. But, there is very little in it that interests me,
that I don't already have. Right now, I am into playing with a using
circular coordinates with luminosity masks. I bought Lumenzia, which
speeds up making luminosity masks. Greg Benz, the developer gives great,
and personalized support.

Here is an example, which I am posting this only to show the concept. If
anyone objects to the reduced resolution, or my copyright notice, look
through it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6w96lsf1095334/20171005_6203-butterfly%20garden.jpg?dl=0

--
PeterN
Old November 25th 17, 04:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/24/2017 9:58 PM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

Interesting. I don’t have that sort of ad issue with my iPad Pro which I
use to stream Amazon Prime, Netflix, and other streaming content via my home
network.

I heard that Netflix, is acquiring Yahoo.

The combined company will be called Netanyahoo.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

--
PeterN
Old November 25th 17, 04:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/24/2017 10:22 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"PeterN" wrote

| |
| | Yeah! It seems every time I open iTunes on my Win10 machine, it tries
| | take me to the store to buy something at the iTunes store.
| |

| Hard to sympathize with that. "Seems like every
| time I hang around with my drug dealer I end up
| losing money and getting an STD." Yep.
|
| You are conflating different issues.

It was just a joke, about using iTunes. Like so much
media software, it's more about selling than playing.

| I was forced to use AOL mail
| servers, after Verizon purchased AOL. When I need to use web mail, I am
| bombarded with ads. AOL wants about five bucks a month to turn of the
| ads. About a month before the AOL announcement, I entered into a two
| year agreement with Verizon. All I am at liberty to say is that I am in
| the middle of discussions at a corporate level.

Ick. You could have your own operation for that
price. I have a website host that I pay $9/month.
For that I get hosting and up to 100 email addresses
in my own domain that I manage myself.

I thought about that. But I have switched over a lot of my email uses to
live.com. I also have another email addy that I use only when the
spammers want my email addy. It has over 5,000 unread emails. I clean it
out once every six months, more or less. Also, as someone pointed out,
there should be no expectation of privacy in email. When I have to send
sensitive information, I use encrypted files.

--
PeterN
Old November 25th 17, 04:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/24/2017 10:40 PM, Ron C wrote:
On 11/24/2017 10:14 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 11/24/2017 9:31 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"PeterN" wrote

| *** You're probably at more risk as an Apple fan because
| you're used to a product that's designed to keep you
| in their private AOL-style shopping venue.
|

| Yeah! It seems every time I open iTunes on my Win10 machine, it
tries to
| take me to the store to buy something at the iTunes store.

*** Hard to sympathize with that. "Seems like every
time I hang around with my drug dealer I end up
losing money and getting an STD."*** Yep.

You are conflating different issues. I was forced to use AOL mail
servers, after Verizon purchased AOL. When I need to use web mail, I
am bombarded with ads. AOL wants about five bucks a month to turn of
the ads. About a month before the AOL announcement, I entered into a
two year agreement with Verizon. All I am at liberty to say is that I
am in the middle of discussions at a corporate level.

Same here, but I never use web mail .. thus never see the ads.

There are times when I have no choice.

--
PeterN