D300 took years to fall to 1/2 price. D7000 took months.

Old March 9th 14, 06:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

Default D300 took years to fall to 1/2 price. D7000 took months.

In article ,
RichA wrote:

Do you KNOW how many Nikon users are enraged that a D400 was never produced??

it was called the d7000/7100.
Old March 9th 14, 12:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
me[_5_]

On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 00:22:04 -0500, nospam

RichA wrote:

Do you KNOW how many Nikon users are enraged that a D400 was never produced??

it was called the d7000/7100.

Having just picked up a 7100 this week, as my D200/D300 each exhibit
various fallings, I would say it is immediately apparent upon picking
it up that it not in the class a 400 would be.
Old March 9th 14, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , me
wrote:

Do you KNOW how many Nikon users are enraged that a D400 was never
produced??

it was called the d7000/7100.

Having just picked up a 7100 this week, as my D200/D300 each exhibit
various fallings, I would say it is immediately apparent upon picking
it up that it not in the class a 400 would be.

what features would you put in a d400 that the d7100 lacks?
Old March 9th 14, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
me[_5_]

On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 09:21:31 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , me
wrote:

Do you KNOW how many Nikon users are enraged that a D400 was never
produced??

it was called the d7000/7100.

Having just picked up a 7100 this week, as my D200/D300 each exhibit
various fallings, I would say it is immediately apparent upon picking
it up that it not in the class a 400 would be.

what features would you put in a d400 that the d7100 lacks?

Bigger buffer, real weather sealing, better release mechanism on the
door to flash memory, controls layout similar to D200/300. It reminds
me of the my old D70. The release mode dial and lock button are quite
difficult to operate even with very thin Head digital activity gloves
on. Forget about operating it with any real gloves on. Doesn't even
have a way to use a snap on monitor protector. Heck, the D70 even had
one of those.

This is just after one morning's shooting.
Old March 9th 14, 09:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

On 10/03/2014 5:05 a.m., me wrote:
On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 09:21:31 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , me
wrote:

[...]

Nikon also leaves out one-click zoom to selected focus point / centre of
focus point group (centre button of 4 way selector ) in image review in
their models below D*00 pro/prosumer models. Cost to implement this in
all of their dslrs should be close to nothing - it's only a firmware
feature.
If you're used to using this feature, then not having it may be a major
inconvenience (reviewing a burst sequence using zoom and scroll is a PITA).
Old March 9th 14, 11:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-03-09 20:17:41 +0000, Me said:

On 10/03/2014 5:05 a.m., me wrote:
On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 09:21:31 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , me
wrote:

[...]

Strangely enough I use that feature quite often with my D300S.

Cost to implement this in all of their dslrs should be close to nothing
- it's only a firmware feature.
If you're used to using this feature, then not having it may be a major
inconvenience (reviewing a burst sequence using zoom and scroll is a
PITA).

I have this feeling that Nikon has abandoned its APS-C (DX) prosumer
DSLRs, but just hasn't made the announcement yet, in the hope that you
will buy a FF/FX out of frustration waiting for a D400. They won't
admit that the D600/D610 is not what D300S owners want, and neither are
the D7000/D7100.

Savageduck

Old March 10th 14, 09:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN[_4_]

On 2014-03-09 20:17:41 +0000, Me said:

I have this feeling that Nikon has abandoned its APS-C (DX) prosumer
DSLRs, but just hasn't made the announcement yet, in the hope that you
will buy a FF/FX out of frustration waiting for a D400. They won't
admit that the D600/D610 is not what D300S owners want, and neither are
the D7000/D7100.

A shabby way to try to force users to move to FF with its high-priced lenses, which Nikon apparently needs to sell in greater and greater numbers to keep paying their bills.

Some people are quite happy with Tamron FF.

--
PeterN
Old March 10th 14, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

PeterN wrote:
On 3/9/2014 10:35 PM, RichA wrote:
A shabby way to try to force users to move to FF with
its high-priced lenses, which Nikon apparently needs
to sell in greater and greater numbers to keep paying
their bills.

Some people are quite happy with Tamron FF.

And lets do hope, thank goodness, that Nikon keeps paying
their bills and producing such great cameras!

Nikon Rumors just posted the DxOmark ratings for the new
D4s, and compared them to several other cameras. Here
is the "Overall Score" ranking:

Score Model Notes
===== ===== =====
95 Nikon D800 (highest Color Depth rating at 25.3,
tied with D610 for highest Dynamic Ranage)

94 Nikon D610 (highest Dynamic Range rating at 14.4,
tied with the D800)

89 Nikon D4s

89 Nikon Df (highest "Low Light" rating at 3279)

89 Nikon D4

82 Nikon D3s (Lowest Color Depth at 23.5, tied with D700)

82 Canon 1Dx (Color depth 23.8, "Low Light" 2786, Dynamic
Range 11.8, all next to the lowest)

81 Canon 5D3 (Lowest "Low Light" rating at 2293, lowest
Dynamic Range at 11.7)

80 Nikon D700 (Lowest Color Depth at 23.5, tied with D3s)

Note that Canon's latest top line models just barely match up to
what Nikon produced a generation back.

It does appear that the "shabby way" Nikon moves users to FF is
actually just a case of producing the best DSLR cameras
available. And those who appreciate the best DSLR cameras do
want Nikon to continue doing just that!

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old March 11th 14, 12:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN[_4_]

On 3/10/2014 5:15 PM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
PeterN wrote:
[...]

I have owned Nikons since the early 1970s, and never thought of Nikon
treating its customers in a shabby manner. They are not always as
transparent as I would like, but I think that is more of a cultural
thing. e.g. When the left focus issue surfaced I brought my camera to
Nikon repair. After less than an hour they told me I had no problem. I
will never really know if I had the problem and they fixed it, or they
just tested the camera. Because of the time they had it, I suspect the
former, but all I care about is that I don't have the problem.
I ha ve always found their repair people to be accomodating, even though
I am not a professional.

--
PeterN
Old March 16th 14, 09:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
me[_5_]

On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 12:05:19 -0400, me wrote:

On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 09:21:31 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , me
wrote:

[...]

What nospam, no come back?

D7000 C J Campbell[_2_] Digital SLR Cameras 1 October 30th 10 02:49 AM
D7000 Robert Coe Digital SLR Cameras 1 October 29th 10 02:42 AM
Better in low light: D7000 or D300? Don Wiss Digital SLR Cameras 23 October 23rd 10 10:50 AM
Hey Noons, Has it Really Been 6 Months? tony cooper 35mm Photo Equipment 0 May 31st 09 05:26 AM