Plastic proves itself as CRAP again

Old October 4th 09, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Doug McDonald[_4_]

Default Plastic proves itself as CRAP again

Jerry wrote:
I suspect that Ialdabaoth created Imperfection so that on this day Sat, 3 Oct
2009 22:23:05 -0700 (PDT), one purporting to be Rich
could write :

True. But to expect to use a camera for say 2 years without dropping
it once is probably naive and unrealistic.

I have never dropped a camera in my 40 years of work.
Nor for that matter have I ever dropped a lens.

Jerry.

I have dropped a camera once in 40 years, last summer. It did not
hurt the camera but it did damage the lens, a Canon 24-105 f4L,
not cheap ($1000) ... but the damaged parts were plastic. It cost $110
to fix.

Doug McDonald

Old October 4th 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

Alan Browne wrote:
Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 22:23:05 -0700 (PDT), Rich
wrote:

On Oct 3, 6:22 pm, clw wrote:
In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

Just proves (again) that Nikon are capable of making stupid decisions
about "value" and using plastic in the wrong places.
Gee, one would think from some of the posts in this thread that they
thought they were buying a hand to hand combat weapon from Nikon.

Except perhaps for a steel ball, there is almost nothing on earth that
cannot be broken by mis-handling.
True. But to expect to use a camera for say 2 years without dropping
it once is probably naive and unrealistic.

I've used cameras for 50 years and I can't remember dropping one once.

I've yet to drop a camera or lens. Maybe I shouldn't say that, the Gods
of such things may take revenge.

Just once have I dropped a lens. I was changing lenses and one of
them slipped and fell.

But it was at the beach and the sand cushioned the fall. One of those
classic good news bad news things.

--
Ray Fischer

Old October 5th 09, 05:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_3_]

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 22:23:05 -0700 (PDT), Rich
wrote:

On Oct 3, 6:22 pm, clw wrote:
In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

Just proves (again) that Nikon are capable of making stupid decisions
about "value" and using plastic in the wrong places.
Gee, one would think from some of the posts in this thread that they
thought they were buying a hand to hand combat weapon from Nikon.
Except perhaps for a steel ball, there is almost nothing on earth that
cannot be broken by mis-handling.
True. But to expect to use a camera for say 2 years without dropping
it once is probably naive and unrealistic.

I've used cameras for 50 years and I can't remember dropping one once.

I've yet to drop a camera or lens. Maybe I shouldn't say that, the Gods
of such things may take revenge.

I've never exactly dropped an SLR, but I did have one come off the pillion
of my motorcycle once and bounce end over end along the highway for some
distance -- I was doing about 65 mph at the time. I thought I had it well
secured, but obviously didn't. Camera still worked fine except for the film
counter which became sort of erratic. That was a screw-mount Petri, my very
first SLR, about 1963.

In recent years though I have had a couple of ultracompact cameras slip out
of my fingers. I am a moderately clumsy person.

Old October 6th 09, 04:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wilba[_3_]

Savageduck wrote:

I have been wary of door knobs with regard to camera straps ever since.

My policy is to be wary of knobs in general, and the way they can jerk your
stuff around.

Old October 6th 09, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital Ray Fischer wrote:
Rich wrote:
On Oct 3, 6:22pm, clw wrote:
In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

Just proves (again) that Nikon are capable of making stupid decisions
about "value" and using plastic in the wrong places.

Gee, one would think from some of the posts in this thread that they
thought they were buying a hand to hand combat weapon from Nikon.

Except perhaps for a steel ball, there is almost nothing on earth that
cannot be broken by mis-handling.

True. But to expect to use a camera for say 2 years without dropping
it once is probably naive and unrealistic.

I've used my curent camera for three years and haven't dropped it.
Nor did I drop the camera before it.

A metal mount wouldn't
have broken the way the plastic did.

It would have broken some other way.

When two modular and very expensive components like lens and camera
are t be jpoined together it's good design to deliberately weaken the
joint so that when something breaks it's more likely to be be the
cheap sacrificial joint rather than the expensive lens or camera body.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old October 7th 09, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 22:23:05 -0700 (PDT), Rich
wrote:

On Oct 3, 6:22 pm, clw wrote:
In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

[...]

What ever happened to that company? Went bankrupt 'cause they made
products that lasted?

In recent years though I have had a couple of ultracompact cameras slip out
of my fingers. I am a moderately clumsy person.

Should be more typos.