Camera dimension confusion (Rochester Universal 5x7)

Old March 23rd 09, 10:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

Default Camera dimension confusion (Rochester Universal 5x7)

So I'm nearing completion on my restoration of a Rochester Optical Co.
Universal 5x7 camera. Or at least I *think* it's a 5x7; now I'm not so sure.

So I have two questions here. The first is whether this is actually a
5x7. Here are the relevant dimensions:

Film holder opening (the clear opening in front of the holder):
5-1/8" x 7-15/16"
Film holder outside dimensions (measuring inside stop rails):
5-11/16" x 9"
Ground glass opening (viewable area 4-3/4" x 7-3/4"

The second question is, will standard 5x7 film holders (Fidelity, Lisco,
etc.) fit this camera? Or was it made for an earlier standard size of
holder? (The camera is close to a century old.) If the latter, then I'm
pretty sure I can find some on eBay.

Thanks for any help. I'm planning on actually taking pictures with this
someday.

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)
Old March 23rd 09, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Jean-David Beyer

David Nebenzahl wrote:
So I'm nearing completion on my restoration of a Rochester Optical Co.
Universal 5x7 camera. Or at least I *think* it's a 5x7; now I'm not so sure.

So I have two questions here. The first is whether this is actually a
5x7. Here are the relevant dimensions:

Film holder opening (the clear opening in front of the holder):
5-1/8" x 7-15/16"

The 7 15/16 is a bit large. There are two image sizes near that.

Nominal 5"x7" size that is 12.7mm x 17.8mm (the likely size)
Nominal 13mm x 18mm that is 5 1/8" x 7 1/8"

Film holder outside dimensions (measuring inside stop rails):
5-11/16" x 9"
Ground glass opening (viewable area 4-3/4" x 7-3/4"

The second question is, will standard 5x7 film holders (Fidelity, Lisco,
etc.) fit this camera? Or was it made for an earlier standard size of
holder? (The camera is close to a century old.) If the latter, then I'm
pretty sure I can find some on eBay.

Thanks for any help. I'm planning on actually taking pictures with this
someday.

You may wish to look he

http://home.earthlink.net/~eahoo/page8/filmhold.html

^^-^^ 17:45:01 up 7 days, 11:01, 3 users, load average: 4.07, 4.21, 4.24
Old March 23rd 09, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 3/23/2009 1:43 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

The second question is, will standard 5x7 film holders (Fidelity, Lisco,
etc.) fit this camera?

I forgot to ask my other question, which is whether anyone can point me
to a reference showing the dimensions of a standard (contemporary) 5x7
film holder, preferably online somewhere.

Old March 24th 09, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
otzi

I forgot to ask my other question, which is whether anyone can point me to
a reference showing the dimensions of a standard (contemporary) 5x7 film
holder, preferably online somewhere.

http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00Hptl

http://www.butzi.net/reviews/filmholders.htm 45 but ask.

http://home.earthlink.net/~eahoo/page8/filmhold.html might be what you
want.

Otzi.

Old March 24th 09, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
otzi

I forgot to ask my other question, which is whether anyone can point me to
a reference showing the dimensions of a standard (contemporary) 5x7 film
holder, preferably online somewhere.

Some more.

http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i...hp/t-9686.html Building a Film
holder.

http://www.filmholders.com/filmho1.html

otzi

Old March 29th 09, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 3/23/2009 1:43 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

The second question is, will standard 5x7 film holders (Fidelity, Lisco,
etc.) fit this camera? Or was it made for an earlier standard size of
holder? (The camera is close to a century old.) If the latter, then I'm
pretty sure I can find some on eBay.

Upon further examination, the answer to this question is obviously no; I
need to find some old-time film holders. There's no recess in the back
for the "rib" in the (modern) film holder to fit into.

Other than eBay, can anyone suggest places that will have these? I
already know about Pacific Rim Camera (they occasionally pop up there,
but none at present) and Craig Camera (ditto). Unfortunately, Thompson
Photo, which used to sell a lot of old stuff like that, is no longer in
business.

Old March 29th 09, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Jean-David Beyer

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/23/2009 1:43 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

The second question is, will standard 5x7 film holders (Fidelity, Lisco,
etc.) fit this camera? Or was it made for an earlier standard size of
holder? (The camera is close to a century old.) If the latter, then I'm
pretty sure I can find some on eBay.

Upon further examination, the answer to this question is obviously no; I
need to find some old-time film holders. There's no recess in the back
for the "rib" in the (modern) film holder to fit into.

Other than eBay, can anyone suggest places that will have these? I
already know about Pacific Rim Camera (they occasionally pop up there,
but none at present) and Craig Camera (ditto). Unfortunately, Thompson
Photo, which used to sell a lot of old stuff like that, is no longer in
business.

You might try Lens and Repro Equipment Corp. in NYC:

http://www.lensandrepro.com/

^^-^^ 21:00:01 up 4 days, 3:14, 3 users, load average: 4.09, 4.17, 4.31
Old March 29th 09, 03:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John J

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/23/2009 1:43 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

The second question is, will standard 5x7 film holders (Fidelity,
Lisco, etc.) fit this camera? Or was it made for an earlier standard
size of holder? (The camera is close to a century old.) If the latter,
then I'm pretty sure I can find some on eBay.

Upon further examination, the answer to this question is obviously no; I
need to find some old-time film holders. There's no recess in the back
for the "rib" in the (modern) film holder to fit into.

What rib? Do ou mean the detent at the side opposite the dark slide slot?
Old March 29th 09, 03:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 3/28/2009 5:05 PM Jean-David Beyer spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Other than eBay, can anyone suggest places that will have these? I
already know about Pacific Rim Camera (they occasionally pop up there,
but none at present) and Craig Camera (ditto). Unfortunately, Thompson
Photo, which used to sell a lot of old stuff like that, is no longer in
business.

You might try Lens and Repro Equipment Corp. in NYC:

Nope. Their "used large format equipment" page (last updated last Sept.,
apparently) only lists "modern" 4x5 & 8x10 holders.

Keep in mind that this thing is an antique, not a camera likely to
actually be used by anyone except weirdos like me.

Old March 29th 09, 08:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 3/28/2009 6:16 PM John J spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 3/23/2009 1:43 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

The second question is, will standard 5x7 film holders (Fidelity,
Lisco, etc.) fit this camera? Or was it made for an earlier standard
size of holder? (The camera is close to a century old.) If the latter,
then I'm pretty sure I can find some on eBay.

Upon further examination, the answer to this question is obviously no; I
need to find some old-time film holders. There's no recess in the back
for the "rib" in the (modern) film holder to fit into.

What rib? Do ou mean the detent at the side opposite the dark slide slot?

Well, um, not sure from your description: it's the ridge across the
width of the film holder that engages the matching slot in the back.
It's at the same end of the holder as the dark slide. So are we talking
about the same thing?

Anyhow, there's no such slot on the Universal's back, so can't use these
holders. (Could hack the back, I suppose, but I'd rather not go there.)

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)

Digital Camera confusion [email protected][_2_] Digital Photography 11 October 1st 07 10:09 AM
Old Rochester plate cameras and B&L Shutter Neil Purling Large Format Photography Equipment 8 February 2nd 07 02:08 PM
FA: Mount many lenses on your view camera with this Universal Iris device Hugh Lyon-Sach Large Format Equipment For Sale 0 May 9th 05 07:44 PM
FS: Mamiya Universal Press Camera w/100mm f/3.5 lens, 4 backs and accessories $600 +shpg Otto Fajen General Equipment For Sale 0 April 17th 04 08:28 PM
FS: Mamiya Universal Press Camera w/100mm f/3.5 lens, 4 backs and accessories $600 +shpg Otto Fajen Medium Format Equipment For Sale 0 April 17th 04 08:28 PM