Printing: Is there any diff between Duane Reade, CVS and Walgreens?

Old August 17th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Al Dykes

Default Printing: Is there any diff between Duane Reade, CVS and Walgreens?

I need some prints. Since "going digital", I literally haven't printed
a thing. I'm not asking about high-end printing, just a decent 8x10
print from a well-exposed jpg file.

I've never used "drug store" printing. I've got Duane Reade, CVS and
Walgreens in the area. Is there any reason to pick one over the other?

Might a really new store have more recent (meaning "better prints")
equipment? A Walgreens just opened up here a few weeks ago.

They are growing like mushrooms around here.

--
Al Dykes

Old August 17th 08, 02:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On 17 Aug 2008 01:41:45 GMT, Allodoxaphobia
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 21:13:36 -0400, tony cooper wrote:
On 16 Aug 2008 20:54:24 -0400, (Al Dykes) wrote:

I need some prints. Since "going digital", I literally haven't printed
a thing. I'm not asking about high-end printing, just a decent 8x10
print from a well-exposed jpg file.

I've never used "drug store" printing. I've got Duane Reade, CVS and
Walgreens in the area. Is there any reason to pick one over the other?

Might a really new store have more recent (meaning "better prints")
equipment? A Walgreens just opened up here a few weeks ago.

They are growing like mushrooms around here.

It would cost you about $10 to find out. Order an 8 x 10 of the same
shot from each. You can do it online.

Fer sher. It's not whether it's Duane Reade, CVS or Walgreens -- or
Quik-Print -- or whatever. It depends on the expertise and skill of the
gum-smacking, iPod-deafend teenager working in any give store -- and
whether or not s/he continues to work there once you've made your
choice...

Is a human involved? I've ordered prints from Walgreen's and, as far
as I can tell, all the human does is remove them from the machine.

My daughter-in-law's parents live in Russia and do not have an
Internet connection. I take a lot of pictures of the grandchildren
and have 4 x 6 prints made to mail them to Russia. I've always been
pleased with the prints for this purpose. While I can use my Epson
printer, it's just as cheap and much faster to order on-line and pick
them up in an hour or so. I've ordered a few 8 x 10s and they came
out well.

Ritz Camera is also good, but their location is not as convenient for
me.

Walgreen's is usually 19 cents for a 4 x 6, but sometimes they have a
special that brings it down to 12 cents. An 8 x 10 is under $3.00.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old August 17th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

wrote:

[...]

When I have more than a few I use YorkPhoto. I'm happy with the results,
price is 10c per 4x6 or less when they have a special. Each print is
carefully examined for color and adjustments made accordingly, would you
expect anything less at 10c (or less) per print!!!!
When I just have a couple I use the Kodak kiosk at CVS. I believe there
is a little man inside who keeps an eye on quality but I've never
actually seen him.

Now to get real, these things are made by a machine costing god knows
how much. Modern technology has enabled them to produce remarkably good
results.

For custom printing, where somebody will actually go beyond machine
judgment try a local photo store for advice. I'm not sure what wedding
photographers use but they would be a good source for advice.
Dave Cohen