Anyone tried 16 GB flash cards in a Nikon D3 ?

Old August 15th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Default Anyone tried 16 GB flash cards in a Nikon D3 ?

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
Dave wrote:

I know the spec on the camera says it has been tested with a number of
compact flash cards between 1 and 8 GB, but has anyone tried the
camera with 16 GB cards? If so, can the D3 address all 16 GB?

Yes, they work fine. Get Lexar.

Rita

Geez, someone actually answered the original question.
Dave Cohen
Old August 15th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Atheist Chaplain[_3_]

"Jürgen Exner" wrote in message
Dave wrote in rec.photo.equipment.35mm:
I know the spec on the camera says it has been tested with a number of
compact flash cards between 1 and 8 GB, but has anyone tried the camera
with 16 GB cards? If so, can the D3 address all 16 GB?

I wasn't aware that the D3 could also take photos on 35mm film. Could
you point to an official spec on that, please?

jue

I was unaware that "Film" was in the news group title, or even the charter
for that matter :-)

Don Hirschberg

Old August 15th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
D-Mac[_6_]

Dave Cohen wrote:
Rita Berkowitz wrote:
Dave wrote:

I know the spec on the camera says it has been tested with a number of
compact flash cards between 1 and 8 GB, but has anyone tried the
camera with 16 GB cards? If so, can the D3 address all 16 GB?

Yes, they work fine. Get Lexar.

Rita

Geez, someone actually answered the original question.
Dave Cohen

Yeah... What was it again?
Old August 15th 08, 06:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Dave[_27_]

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
Dave wrote:

I know the spec on the camera says it has been tested with a number of
compact flash cards between 1 and 8 GB, but has anyone tried the
camera with 16 GB cards? If so, can the D3 address all 16 GB?

Yes, they work fine. Get Lexar.

Rita

Thank you Rita.

What cards are you using in your Nikon D3 *35mm* camera? I've used the
300x Lexar and the Sandisk Extreme IV, but these are expensive. I am
concerned that might be a complete waste of money, as slower cards are
supported in the D3. On the page on the Nikon web site which list
compatible cards, it mentions the following:

*****************************
*****************************

Nikon has tested the following cards and approved their use in the D3
and D300:

All Nikon CF memory cards
SanDisk Extreme IV SDCX4 series 2GB, 4GB and 8GB
SanDisk Extreme III SDCFX3 series 1GB, 2GB, 4GB and 8GB
SanDisk Ultra II SDCFH series 1GB, 2GB, 4GB and 8GB
SanDisk Standard SDCFB series 1GB, 2GB and 4GB
Lexar Media Professional UDMA 300x 2GB, 4GB and 8GB
Lexar Media Platinum II 80x 512MB, 1GB and 2GB
Lexar Media Platinum II 60x 4GB
Lexar Media Professional 133x WA (Write Acceleration Technology) 1GB,
2GB, 4GB and 8GB
Lexar Media Professional 80x Lt 512MB and 2GB
Microdrives™ DSCM-11000 1GB, 3K4-2 2GB, 3K4-4 4GB and 3K6 6GB

Other brands and capacities of cards may work, but Nikon cannot
guarantee operation. If using a memory card not listed above please
check with the manufacturer for compatibility information. Nikon
recommend keeping an approved memory card available for troubleshooting.

********************************
********************************

I don't know if there is any performance advantage in using the faster
cards. SanDisk Extreme III are readily available and quite cheap, but I
don't know if the SanDisk Extreme IV's offer any advantage over the
III's at all.

I guess I should ask Nikon this one, but if you have any comments, I'd
be interested.

I no not wish to ruin the performance of a high spec camera by saving a
few pounds on memory cards, but likewise I don't see any point in using
faster cards than the cameras can make use of. (The fact I might be able
to download them a bit quicker to a computer is not really a concern of
mine).

Dave
Old August 15th 08, 06:56 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
David Nebenzahl

On 8/14/2008 10:14 PM Dave spake thus:

Rita Berkowitz wrote:

Dave wrote:

I know the spec on the camera says it has been tested with a number of
compact flash cards between 1 and 8 GB, but has anyone tried the
camera with 16 GB cards? If so, can the D3 address all 16 GB?

Yes, they work fine. Get Lexar.

Thank you Rita.

What cards are you using in your Nikon D3 *35mm* camera? I've used the
300x Lexar and the Sandisk Extreme IV, but these are expensive. I am
concerned that might be a complete waste of money, as slower cards are
supported in the D3. On the page on the Nikon web site which list
compatible cards, it mentions the following:

[snip

This post is off-topic for this newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm,
which is concerned with film cameras that use 35mm film, not digital
cameras that look like 35mm SLRs.

Please use an appropriate newsgroup for postings on digital cameras. One
of the following groups would be a good place for such postings:

rec.photo.equipment.digital
rec.photo.equipment.digital.point+shoot
rec.photo.equipment.digital.rangefinder
rec.photo.equipment.digital.slr
rec.photo.equipment.digital.slr-system

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".
Old August 15th 08, 08:06 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
D-Mac[_6_]

Dave wrote:
Rita Berkowitz wrote:
Dave wrote:

[...]

Dave...
The fastest card will still not work as fast as a D3 is capable of
writing. You might not discover the real value of an ultra fast card
until you discover your buffer is full and you just missed that once in
a lifetime shot.

As a general rule of thumb... Always buy the fastest flash cards. Lexar
are excellent cards as are a lesser known brand "kingston". If you are
going to buy Sandisk, just make sure the product you buy is a legitimate
one and not a pirate.

Kingston have a quick lookup on their web site to verify their cards. I
presume Sandisk do too or at least should do.

My own personal preference is for smaller cards (4 gig) which helps me
feel a degree of comfort in the knowledge that if one fails, I have
stuff on other cards. That hasn't happened in 4 years of using them!
Old August 15th 08, 11:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Dave[_27_]

D-Mac wrote:
Dave wrote:

Dave...
The fastest card will still not work as fast as a D3 is capable of
writing. You might not discover the real value of an ultra fast card
until you discover your buffer is full and you just missed that once in
a lifetime shot.

As a general rule of thumb... Always buy the fastest flash cards. Lexar
are excellent cards as are a lesser known brand "kingston". If you are
going to buy Sandisk, just make sure the product you buy is a legitimate
one and not a pirate.

Is SanDisk any worst than Kingston or Lexar - leaving aside for one
minute any clones?

I will later today compare the write speed of the two cards I have - one
a SanDisk Extreame IV and the other a Lexar 300x Professional. I believe
the SanDisk is sometimes referred to as 266x, so it might be a bit
slower than the 300x Lexar. But measuring it in the D3 would be the most
accurate benchmark for me.

Looking on Amazon UK, which is normally a pretty decent place to buy
things, I find

8 GB 300x Lexar = £77
8 GB 266x Kingston = £78
8 GB 266x SanDisk Extreme IV = £60.

Kingston have a quick lookup on their web site to verify their cards. I
presume Sandisk do too or at least should do.

My own personal preference is for smaller cards (4 gig) which helps me
feel a degree of comfort in the knowledge that if one fails, I have
stuff on other cards. That hasn't happened in 4 years of using them!

I can see the logic of that.

I do however feel the most likely time to damage/lose these things is
moving them in/out of cameras. I quite like the 'backup' feature on the
Nikon D3, where it writes the same data to both cards.

Old August 15th 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Böwser

Default Asshole

Asshole
Old August 15th 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave[_27_]

wrote:
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 06:14:13 +0100, in rec.photo.digital Dave
wrote:

What cards are you using in your Nikon D3 *35mm* camera? I've used the
300x Lexar and the Sandisk Extreme IV, but these are expensive. I am
concerned that might be a complete waste of money, as slower cards are
supported in the D3. On the page on the Nikon web site which list
compatible cards, it mentions the following:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/cam...?cid=6007-9255

Thank you, that was very interesting. I decided to order a couple of the
SanDisk Extreme® Ducati Edition 8 GB cards:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...=AIIIBXD0UP9CY

from Amazon based on that. They seem to offer a good compromise between
capacity, speed and cost. 22.124MB/sec JPEG and 28.565MB/sec is 3rd
fastest in both RAW and JPEG and on the fastest 8 GB card. To get faster
I would need to get smaller, which I don't wish to do.

There does not appear to be any fast 16 GB cards.

Old August 15th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 8/14/2008 2:21 PM Dave spake thus:

I know the spec on the camera says it has been tested with a number of
compact flash cards between 1 and 8 GB, but has anyone tried the
camera with 16 GB cards? If so, can the D3 address all 16 GB?

This post is off-topic for this newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm,
which is concerned with film cameras that use 35mm film, not digital
cameras that look like 35mm SLRs.

Please use an appropriate newsgroup for postings on digital cameras. One
of the following groups would be a good place for such postings:

rec.photo.equipment.digital
rec.photo.equipment.digital.point+shoot
rec.photo.equipment.digital.rangefinder
rec.photo.equipment.digital.slr
rec.photo.equipment.digital.slr-system

You should have posted your reply _ONLY_ to r.p.e.35mm, and _NOT_ to
r.p.d, where it is certainly on topic. As they say, plonk.
Allen