Friend is looking for a really good P&S

Old August 15th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

Default Friend is looking for a really good P&S

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 06:22:16 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

If you want to know the advantages of a particular battery type, you can
look them up as well as anyone else, or read the replies others have given
you.

I know the advantages and disadvantages of the battery types
under discussion. How like you to play silly games and try to make
my reason for asking the opposite of what it actually was. I asked
*you* about AA battery advantages because you appear to be the one
that hasn't a clue as to the state of today's cameras that use AA
batteries.

Why on earth would I repeat ad nauseam what others have said?

Maybe it's because what you do repeat ad nauseam needs correcting.

I find it disappointing that you appear to have nothing to bring to the
technical discussion other than character criticism. Anyone who reads
my posts will know my position.

We all know your position quite well by now. I've brought much
more to the technical discussion than just criticism, so that can be
immediately categorized as a lie. If you don't like being
criticized, avoid fabrication and try to acknowledge the technical
facts that have been spelled out for you. You're the one that's
avoiding a technical discussion of the merits of battery types as
they're used today. All you can do is reiterate your strong
preferences and dislikes that were formed many years ago when there
were good reasons for being dissatisfied with the performance of AA
batteries in cameras. Repeating them today when your invalid
arguments might mislead those that aren't familiar with the current
state of cameras and batteries is pretty low of you, and for that
you *do* deserve to be criticized, especially since like SMS, you
refuse to acknowledge, let alone discuss the no-longer valid reasons
for your biases.

Old August 15th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

ASAAR wrote:
[...]

Please do not accuse me of lying - that is something I would /never/ do.
Those who wish to know my position, the reason for that position, and to
see how my position has changed over the years may refer to my previous
posts. I am quite happy to discuss any questions they may have.

Rather reluctantly, ASAAR, I must now wish you goodbye.

Old August 15th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Lawry

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:36:51 -0400, ASAAR wrote:

[...]

Troll, troll, troll your goat, always on the keys.
Verily, verily, verily, verily, fools abound like fleas.

Get a life ASAAR, or go meet real people one day. What's that? You can't meet
any in real life because none of them ever want to know you for more than a few
seconds? Well, that's totally understandable, each and every one of your
thousands and thousands of usenet posts are proof of that. But trying to drag
another unknowing fool into entertaining you on your computer screen isn't
healthy, for anyone.

For the rest of you, can't you tell a resident troll when you see one in any
newsgroup? C'mon, get with the program and killfile it for cryin' out loud.
Sheesh. Get a clue. This is all that ASAAR does, it's all that ASAAR has ever
done. It's all that it has going for it in life -- of its own choosing. It
relentlessly presses keys to see if it can get anything to respond back. I'm
guessing that ASAAR must be one of those house-bound, busted-bed-bound, swab
itself with a rag on a stick, hopeless obesity cases that we occasionally see on
the news, and the only cameras it has ever held are the ones it's seen on its
lap-top screen. Its perpetually-inaccurate advice is proof of that.

Old August 16th 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

David J Taylor wrote:

According to previous posts I read of yours you had stated that one of
the things you do NOT like about AA batteries is they can roll all over
the place especially when you want to change them where the camera takes
4 of them.

Notwithstanding that I purchased battery holders that hold 4 AA
batteries and have an S5 that takes 4 of them I find changing them quick
and easy and do not find any disadvantage. As a matter of fact I do
understand the advantage of them.

However, I am sure that a case can be made (advantages) of L-ION
batteries but I do not know what they are. Since you, at least at one
time, stated that you preferred them I would appreciate if you would
list the advantages you perceive them to be.

Old August 16th 08, 05:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

measekite wrote:
According to previous posts I read of yours you had stated that one of
the things you do NOT like about AA batteries is they can roll all
over the place especially when you want to change them where the
camera takes 4 of them.

Correct, especially when you must do this in a moving vehicle rather than
in the comfort of your hotel room.

Notwithstanding that I purchased battery holders that hold 4 AA
batteries and have an S5 that takes 4 of them I find changing them
quick and easy and do not find any disadvantage. As a matter of fact
I do understand the advantage of them.

Were AA cells packaged as one rectangular unit, this would remove the
disadvantage I mentioned above.

However, I am sure that a case can be made (advantages) of L-ION
batteries but I do not know what they are. Since you, at least at one
time, stated that you preferred them I would appreciate if you would
list the advantages you perceive them to be.

For me, the main advantage is that Li-ion come as a single, lighter,
rectangular unit rather than as multiple cylindrical cells which you might
accidentally insert the wrong way round. They also have the advantage of
being able to indicate the amount of charge left quite accurately, and
they do not lose charge when left on the shelf to anything like the same
degree as normal NiMH cells.

Yes, I know that there are AA cells which lose less charge, but a recent
UK advert showed a price of about US $30 for four cells, which is rather
expensive.

Cheers,
David

Old August 16th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

David J Taylor wrote:
measekite wrote:

[...]

That is nice
, and
they do not lose charge when left on the shelf to anything like the same
degree as normal NiMH cells.

While I do use Duracel 15 minute rechargeables ( I reallly like that
idea and find it a huge advantage) they are susecptable to that kind of
drain. They loose after 4 to 6 weeks. But I have the option of giving
up the 15 minute recharge in favor of enloops. They can go 6 months
before perceptable drain but take longer to charge. So I do have
flexibility with AA plus they are far less expensive.
Yes, I know that there are AA cells which lose less charge, but a recent
UK advert showed a price of about US $30 for four cells, which is rather
expensive.

Over in the States Costco sells them relatively cheap.

But thanks for your reply. I still favor AA but while that will not be
a deciding factor in choosing a camera it certainly will not be a factor
of not getting a certain camera that I liked.
Cheers,
David

Old August 16th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 15:31:32 -0500, Lawry J. Biddy, the Lesser
wrote:

Troll, troll, troll your goat, always on the keys.
Verily, verily, verily, verily, fools abound like fleas.

It must be that time, so many fools,
flea-bitten sock puppets must be in season.
Thanks for the rhyme, but true to you kind,
yipping and yapping, but alas, no reason.

Old August 16th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:34:25 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

I find it disappointing that you appear to have nothing to bring to
the technical discussion other than character criticism.

Please do not accuse me of lying - that is something I would /never/ do.

It's there in black and white. If you don't care to be shown to
be a liar, try sticking to the truth for a change. Yes, you were
criticized, and justifiably so. It's one thing to resent criticism,
and I'm not surprised at that, even though I presented valid reasons
for it. It's quite another to fabricate the baseless charge that my
replies consisted on nothing but criticism. I'm the one, after all,
that supplied the technical reasons why your knee-jerk bias
justifications were either no longer, or far less true than they
were many years ago. You were the one, not I, that refused to
discuss this. When I asked you to identify some favorable AA
attributes (to see if you were willing to admit that any existed),
you also dishonestly responded in a way that suggested that I was
seeking to learn about AA battery technology, and that you weren't
willing to provide it. That dishonest response was intended solely
to be provocative, almost as if you were trying to have your honesty
questioned so that you could leave the discussion in a huff of
wounded pride. You've done this before, so I can't say that it
comes as a surprise. I now no longer care whether you respond or
not, or even if (very unlikely) you apologize. The fact remains,
what you said was untrue, and lies remain lies.

Rather reluctantly, ASAAR, I must now wish you goodbye.

Not reluctant in the least. It's the most face-saving way you
could come up with to slink away from your losing position. You
seem to be getting along famously with the odious SMS and have the
Anti-DSLR sock puppet troll in your corner. Enjoy it while you can.
They sure won't do very much to enhance your reputation.