Response from Nikon on their ****-take upgrade to D3.

Old August 16th 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

Default Response from Nikon on their ****-take upgrade to D3.

Chris H wrote:
In message , Walter Banks
writes

Chris

We should introduce David to Chuck Falconer self appointed net nanny...

Walter..

That would be too cruel :-)

Besides, he's not a net nanny; more of a net Nazi.

Oooops.

Thread is Dead.

--
lsmft
Old August 16th 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Dave Martindale

Dave writes:

Believe it or not, values (or tubes to Americans) are still manufactured
to this day for high power use, where semiconductors are just not up to
it. The 4CM2500KG from Eimac

http://www.cpii.com/product.cfm/9/22/78

produces 2.8 MW - I can't see semiconductors ever being able to produce
that sort of power economically - it might be possible to get it with
combiners, but I doubt it would be practical.

Actually, it seems that commercial broadcast use is switching to
solid-state transmitters for VHF and UHF. You can't get as much power
from a single device, but multiple power modules fed by a splitter from
the same source produce in-phase outputs that are added by combiners to
produce the necessary output. I've seen one local TV station's
transmitter room and that's what they use - the old tube transmitter is
still there but it's only used as a backup.

The nice thing about the solid-state transmitters is that the failure of
a single module only reduces output power slightly - the transmitter
stays on the air. And electric power consumption is substantially reduced -
there's no filament supply, and no exotic cooling system.

The highest-power transmitters will be the last to change, but at more
moderate power levels solid-state transmitters are already taking over.

Dave
Old August 16th 08, 06:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

On 8/15/2008 4:18 PM John McWilliams spake thus:

Chris H wrote:

In message , Walter Banks
writes

We should introduce David to Chuck Falconer self appointed net nanny...

That would be too cruel :-)

Besides, he's not a net nanny; more of a net Nazi.

Oooops.

Thread is Dead.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Contrary to popular misconception, one
doesn't invoke Godwin's Law by incantation.

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".
Old August 16th 08, 06:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris H

In message m, David
Nebenzahl writes
On 8/15/2008 4:18 PM John McWilliams spake thus:

Chris H wrote:

In message , Walter Banks
writes

We should introduce David to Chuck Falconer self appointed net nanny...
That would be too cruel :-)

Besides, he's not a net nanny; more of a net Nazi.
Oooops.
Thread is Dead.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Contrary to popular misconception, one
doesn't invoke Godwin's Law by incantation.

Please don't cross post. Incantations have nothing to do with
rec.photo.digital