Canon PowerShot S80 Problem \ Repair Needed Options

Old March 20th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
[email protected]

Default Canon PowerShot S80 Problem \ Repair Needed Options

As a follow up to my prior POST in Aug 2007

I was not able to fix it. I sent it to a repair place and was told:

THE TECHNICIAN HAS FOUND THAT THERE IS
CORROSION ON THE MAIN CIRCUIT CONNECTORS ON THE
FLASH CIRCUIT BOARD. THIS PART WILL NEED TO BE
REPLACED. THE COST TO REPAIR IS LISTED, AND
AUTHORIZATION IS REQUIRED TO PROCEED.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANK YOU.
INT-102-DIG INT. DIGITAL REPAIR 125.00
INT-102-PRT INT. PARTS / SUPPLIES 65.00
SHIPPING SHIPPING 15.00
TOTAL REPAIR $205.00

I do not know the cause of the corrosion....the camera was treated
very well.
Hope this helps someone else.
-John
Old March 30th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Chuck

The "corrosion" would have to be severe to require replacement. If the
camera was not exposed to unusual conditions, you likely have a unit that
was not cleaned or sealed properly from the factory.
Forty years ago, I had a Nikon zoom lens for my FT-N. It started growing
green stuff on the inside. It was returned to Nikon (I was in the Navy in
Japan at the time) and Nikon rebuilt the lens, apologized, and sent the as
tested tech specs for the individual lens, showing that it (after repair)
exceeded the minimum (advertised) specs by quite a bit. It was a lot
sharper after the repair, and the zoom function was much smoother.