MACRO SHOTS QUESTION

Old June 28th 06, 04:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default MACRO SHOTS QUESTION

To make life more confusing, Nikon likes to call Macro Micro.

Kevin

Prometheus wrote:
In article 1Ogog.8679$Wl.3369@trnddc01, Talal Itani
writes

Why is it, that a Digital Point and Shoot can take Macro Shots, yet a
Digital SLR requires a Macro Lens in order to take Macro Shots?

The P&S do not take true macro (life size) they take quarter or less at
very short distance (3cm) but are described as macro to sell to the
ignorant who think macro simply means 'very close'. The kit lens on the
350D offers quarter size at 28cm, but because it is a DSLR which is
traditionally used by people who have got a clue and comes from a
different diversion of the camera manufacture is not described as
'macro'.

A fiend bought a Nikon Coolpix 8800 because it had a 'macro' setting
that would let it focus to 3cm, he found that it was ultra wide-angle
(and ultra distorted) and gave less magnification than my 350D with the
kit lens at 28cm.

--
Ian G8ILZ

Old June 28th 06, 01:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

k-man wrote:
To make life more confusing, Nikon likes to call Macro Micro.

Kevin

With scientific photographers, folks who do close up photography for a
living. Nikon has the correct terminology. Micro refers to lenses
designed to photograph from 1:1 magnification (life size on film
/sensor) to about 1:4. This is where the standard micro/macro lenses
shine. Macro is defined as greater than life size. In fact Nikon makes
specialized lenses for just this and calls them macro lenses. I have a
beautiful Nikon 120 apo macro designed to photograph 1:1 to 4:1
magnifications, I have used it to photograph micro-surgical
instruments. But to the rest of the world macro just means close up.

Tom

Old July 3rd 06, 10:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

In article om, tomm42
writes

k-man wrote:
To make life more confusing, Nikon likes to call Macro Micro.

Kevin

With scientific photographers, folks who do close up photography for a
living. Nikon has the correct terminology. Micro refers to lenses
designed to photograph from 1:1 magnification (life size on film
/sensor) to about 1:4. This is where the standard micro/macro lenses
shine. Macro is defined as greater than life size. In fact Nikon makes
specialized lenses for just this and calls them macro lenses. I have a
beautiful Nikon 120 apo macro designed to photograph 1:1 to 4:1
magnifications, I have used it to photograph micro-surgical
instruments. But to the rest of the world macro just means close up.

Tom

Not a terminology I (or any of the very many books on the subject I
have) have heard of. Anything less than life size is generally called
"close-up". You are right that "macro" strictly means 1:1 or higher
magnification.

Nikon's terminology seems to be a Nikon peculiarity which no-one else
follows.

David
--
David Littlewood
Old July 3rd 06, 01:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

David Littlewood wrote:

In article om, tomm42
writes

k-man wrote:
[...]

Most scientists would consider "micro photography" or more precisely
"photomicrography" to be photography performed with the aid of a
microsocope. I don't know where Tom gets the idea that 1:4 would be
considered "micro photography" by anybody but Nikon.

David

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate