DSLR resolution suffers by about 20% when electronic shutter not used with mirror up

Old January 26th 18, 09:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default DSLR resolution suffers by about 20% when electronic shutter not used with mirror up

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 17:51:44 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jan 25, 2018, RichA wrote
(in ):

This was done on a tripod by a known camera tester. It also depends on lens
focal length, the test done was with a 200mm.

http://blog.kasson.com/d850/d850-vib...e-nikon-200-2/

The solution is simple; Go mirrorless!

That doesn't make sense if you have bought a dslr.

Eric Stevens
Old January 26th 18, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

wrote:

On Jan 25, 2018, RichA wrote
(in ):

This was done on a tripod by a known camera tester. It also depends on lens
focal length, the test done was with a 200mm.

http://blog.kasson.com/d850/d850-vib...e-nikon-200-2/

The solution is simple; Go mirrorless!

That doesn't make sense if you have bought a dslr.

Is your main investment in lenses or DSLR body?

--
Cheers,
David
Old January 27th 18, 01:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

On Jan 25, 2018, RichA wrote
(in ):

This was done on a tripod by a known camera tester. It also depends on lens
focal length, the test done was with a 200mm.

http://blog.kasson.com/d850/d850-vib...e-nikon-200-2/

The solution is simple; Go mirrorless!

That doesn't make sense if you have bought a dslr.

Is your main investment in lenses or DSLR body?

It doesn't make any difference. All my gear is Nikon/Nikon mount. If I
go mirrorless I would have to sell the lot.

In the meantime I want to take a vibration free shot with my camera on
a tripod. Do I now sell all my gear and buy a mirrorless of some kind,
or do I merely raise the mirror before I shoot? There is only one
sensible answer.

Eric Stevens
Old January 27th 18, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 26, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

wrote:

On Jan 25, 2018, RichA wrote
(in ):

This was done on a tripod by a known camera tester. It also depends on
lens
focal length, the test done was with a 200mm.

http://blog.kasson.com/d850/d850-vib...e-nikon-200-2/

The solution is simple; Go mirrorless!

That doesn't make sense if you have bought a dslr.

Is your main investment in lenses or DSLR body?

It doesn't make any difference. All my gear is Nikon/Nikon mount. If I
go mirrorless I would have to sell the lot.

In the meantime I want to take a vibration free shot with my camera on
a tripod. Do I now sell all my gear and buy a mirrorless of some kind,
or do I merely raise the mirror before I shoot? There is only one
sensible answer.

In your case, with your camera mounted on the tripod, raise the mirror, use
LiveView, and manual focus with VR off, set the timer to release after 5-10
seconds, and trigger the timer using a remote release.

....but if you really want an excuse for going mirrorless, there it is. ;-)

Remember, that with an adaptor you can still use your Nikkor glass, all
manual, but you can use it.

Savageduck

Old January 27th 18, 05:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

If I was going mirrorless I would do as you did: start afresh with a
downsized camera and lenses to match.

Eric Stevens
Old January 27th 18, 05:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

As I have always said my switch to Fujifilm was initially due to Nikon being
slow to deliver a replacement/update to the D300S. Once I had been exposed to
the benefits of the Fujifilm X-System there has been no going back. If Nikon
had released the D500 a few months earlier I might never have switched. Now I
find myself with three Fujifim X-cameras, and 6 Fujinon lenses. That cash
could just as easily have been spent on a D500, and some fresh Nikkor glass.
Timing is everything, even in the release of cameras.

Savageduck

Old January 27th 18, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

wrote:

[...]

You could get a proper adapter and hot glue it to your mirror less
databack... The Nikon Z mount is bound to have some OEM adapters, at
least for more recent Nikkor glass.
--
teleportation kills

Old January 28th 18, 12:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

If I did that I would not be able to use Z-mount lenses.

Eric Stevens
Old January 28th 18, 08:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

wrote:

[...]

True...
--