OT photography & equipment, New toy

Old June 1st 15, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default OT photography & equipment, New toy

On Jun 1, 2015, PeterN wrote
(in ):

On 6/1/2015 12:16 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On May 31, 2015, MC wrote
(in ):
PeterN wrote:

I was playing with a new toy this morning.
This is just a test shot, but I was happy with the capability.

A moderate crop

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150531_8878.jpg

A severe crop:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150531_8878_crop.jpg

The severe crop was made by cropping the low res jpeg crop:

Obviously not doing the job you want it to do if you have to (yet
again) crop your images. The second image of the two is sh*t, why
bother posting it? Bin it.

MC

I have to agree. I don’t see the point of cropping from a low res jpeg.
The
result is going to to be messy, and this one is particularly bad.

What were you trying to do?

If you wanted a tight crop you should have done that to the RAW file in LR,
or the converted RAW in PS, but never to a JPEG.

From the PSD. I think it's about 50% too heavy.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...avy%20crop.jpg

Well, …er, OK. That is at least better than that messy JPEG crop, but as an
example of a good macro shot it still leaves much to be desired. I would
start with the focus on your alleged subject, the wasp. This is one of those
times where things didn’t come together to give you the perfect shot.
…and I am sure the wasp wasn’t cooperating.

Savageduck

Old June 1st 15, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 6/1/2015 10:40 AM, Mort wrote:
PeterN wrote:
Later today. Waiting to take my wife for her dialysis.

I am sorry to hear of your wife's being on dialysis. My late wife was on
dialysis for several months, and it was most difficult for both of us.
Fortunately, she then got a sibling transplant which functioned well
until her sad demise 34 years later. I wish your wife good luck.

Thank you. Unfortunately, she is ineligible for a translant. Her
dialysis is something that now a part of our lives.

--
PeterN
Old June 2nd 15, 11:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Noons

On 1/06/2015 10:11 AM, PeterN wrote:

I was playing with a new toy this morning.
This is just a test shot, but I was happy with the capability.

A moderate crop

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150531_8878.jpg

Nice! How are you finding the D800?

A friend has a d810 and I've had some difficulty "developing" its RAW
files. They end up with a lot of noise unless I'm using Nikon's
software. Not sure of the cause at this stage. But when the software
"groks" it, it's superb!

Ignore the comments about the second jpg: the number of measurebators in
this group is as high as ever... #facepalm

(it is freakin OBVIOUS it was not posted as an example of quality, you
NONGS!)

Old June 2nd 15, 04:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 6/2/2015 6:41 AM, Noons wrote:
On 1/06/2015 10:11 AM, PeterN wrote:

I was playing with a new toy this morning.
This is just a test shot, but I was happy with the capability.

A moderate crop

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150531_8878.jpg

Nice! How are you finding the D800?

A friend has a d810 and I've had some difficulty "developing" its RAW
files. They end up with a lot of noise unless I'm using Nikon's
software. Not sure of the cause at this stage. But when the software
"groks" it, it's superb!

Ignore the comments about the second jpg: the number of measurebators in
this group is as high as ever... #facepalm

(it is freakin OBVIOUS it was not posted as an example of quality, you
NONGS!)

I've had it for several years, and use my D300 only as a backup. if I am
shooting wild birds, or under low light conditions I shoot at ISO1600,
or higher. I am not sure what works on the 810, but I use DXO to reduce
the noise. One of my friends uses Nikon Capture for his initial
selection and processing. He then imports the files into LR for
organizing. He works primarily in LR and PS, after that. But when he has
noisy image, he also will process with DXO.

--
PeterN
Old June 3rd 15, 04:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

On Monday, 1 June 2015 01:10:15 UTC+1, peterN wrote:
I was playing with a new toy this morning.

ME too although not this morning, I brought an EOS M3

Haven't used it much weather been pretty bad in london, well it's summer time
now, so plenty of dark clouds and showers to put you off going out.
My first gig with it was saturday.
It's a bit slow at focusing in low light but much faster than my previous
G10.
If anyones intrested in the videos they're up on youtube.com/davewhisky.

Congrats! What lenses did you get? I'm not much into video for the
moment so I got the 22 with the EF adapter. But I got this thingy
anyhow, just for testing... Works better with video I think.

http://tinyurl.com/ocb74lf
--
teleportation kills
Old June 4th 15, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 3 June 2015 16:09:11 UTC+1, android wrote:
In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

On Monday, 1 June 2015 01:10:15 UTC+1, peterN wrote:
I was playing with a new toy this morning.

ME too although not this morning, I brought an EOS M3

Haven't used it much weather been pretty bad in london, well it's summer
time
now, so plenty of dark clouds and showers to put you off going out.
My first gig with it was saturday.
It's a bit slow at focusing in low light but much faster than my
previous
G10.
If anyones intrested in the videos they're up on youtube.com/davewhisky.

Congrats! What lenses did you get?

Just the standard kit lens 18-55 will consider another when I decide whether
to get the wide and tele lenes for the M3 or whether to get the M converter
to ES/EF whatever.. and then decide which lens to get.
Of course I want macro, long telephoto, and a good wide angle.
Then perhaps next year get a proper DLSR.

I use my Peleng for UWA... But alot of folks on the forums are happy
with the EF-M 11-22.

enjoyed connecting it to the ipad for viewing and downloading what's on the
SD card, and using teh ipad to trigger the shuter.
All I need now is a day off work when it's not running and I've nothing else
to do.

I'm not much into video for the

I used to enjoy photography more when I first started now I find video more
fun.

I've even read through some of the manual :-0

You've got i baad...

moment so I got the 22 with the EF adapter. But I got this thingy
anyhow, just for testing... Works better with video I think.

http://tinyurl.com/ocb74lf.

The thing that confused me was why we call it mirror-less,
or why some call them mirrorless when they have a mirror,
I'd call them reflex-less.

As long as the photog got some...
--
teleportation kills
Old June 9th 15, 04:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
RichA wrote:

On Sunday, 31 May 2015 20:10:15 UTC-4, peterN wrote:
I was playing with a new toy this morning.
This is just a test shot, but I was happy with the capability.

A moderate crop

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150531_8878.jpg

A severe crop:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150531_8878_crop.jpg

The severe crop was made by cropping the low res jpeg crop:

--
PeterN

Interesting shot makes me thing that there should be categories for macro.
What I mean is, a macro shot in a completely natural setting shouldn't be
compared to one where some photog has clamped a flower or killed and posed an
insect to get better control over it.

Radar(tm) fixes most bugs on the lose...
--
teleportation kills
Old June 9th 15, 04:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 6/8/2015 11:31 PM, RichA wrote:
On Sunday, 31 May 2015 20:10:15 UTC-4, peterN wrote:
I was playing with a new toy this morning.
This is just a test shot, but I was happy with the capability.

A moderate crop

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150531_8878.jpg

A severe crop:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150531_8878_crop.jpg

The severe crop was made by cropping the low res jpeg crop:

--
PeterN

Interesting shot makes me thing that there should be categories for macro. What I mean is, a macro shot in a completely natural setting shouldn't be compared to one where some photog has clamped a flower or killed and posed an insect to get better control over it.

There is:
http://www.psa-photo.org/index.php?nature-nature-definition

--
PeterN