Looking for Good Advanced Digital Camera

Old January 7th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MisMel

Default Looking for Good Advanced Digital Camera

Hi -

I'm looking to get a new digital camera. I currently have the Canon IS
S1. It's been a great camera, but I'm looking for a camera with more
features now.

I thought I'd pick your brains, and see what other's had to say. The
the things I'm looking for in my new camera a

1.) Good in low light situations. I would like it to have an ISO up to
at least 1600. I know that higher ISO means more noise. So I also want
a camera that possibly has a noise reduction feature. If, a flash is
needed, I'd like it to have an adjustable flash so that not everyone is
washed out and it lightens up not only the subject but behind the
subject as well.

2.) One that gives rich true to life colors. One that can handle
multi-light situations. Possibly has built in filter options.

3.) I'd like one that can use rechargeable batteries. I currently have
15 minute rechargables by Rayovac. I have 3 sets so when I'm on
vacation, or need to take pictures, I have extra batteries on hand if
needed. So it would have to be able to use the batteries I currently
have.

4.) The availability of a hotshoe on the top of the camera so you can
use an external flash if you need more than what the camera has built
in.

5.) Good zoom lens. One that when at max zoom is still crisp and
clear. Not overly fuzzy.

6.) A camera that is well made and durable. My IS S1 has taken some
really good tumbles on accident. Ones for sure I thought the lens would
have broken or something internal. But all was fine, just a few minor
scuffs. (Not that I plan on throwing it around LOL, but if an
unforeseen accident should occur, I want to know that it's durable)

I love to take pictures. I would especially like the camera to do well
for Concerts, Indoor places, Outdoor and at night.

Thanks so much for your input!

Mel

Old January 7th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
U-Know-Who

"MisMel" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I believe we are all looking for that camera. :-)

http://www.usenet.com
Old January 7th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bmoag

Must decide: do you want all-in-one with fixed lens or dSLR?

Old January 7th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

U-Know-Who wrote:
"MisMel" wrote in message
[...]

The fact that you're not planning on taking it to the moon narrows the
choices somewhat.
Dave Cohen

Old January 7th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

MisMel wrote:

[...]

If you want low light performance, read this before you buy:

Digital Cameras: Does Pixel Size Matter?
Factors in Choosing a Digital Camera
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...el.size.matter

Digital Cameras: Does Pixel Size Matter?
Part 2: Example Images using Different Pixel Sizes
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...l.size.matter2

The larger the size of each pixel, the better the low light,
high ISO performance, in general.

Roger