Minolta Maxxum 7D and generic lithium batteries

Old September 28th 05, 03:32 PM
Jasen

"Mark Cutler" wrote in message
news:2005092708575016807%mecutler@mindspringcom...
On 2005-09-27 05:05:33 -0700, "Jasen"

said:

What about image quality and image size? A pro photographer buddy of

mine
in the UK recommended the EOS 20D but I can't buy into that without

parting
with my Minolta lenses and big bucks to replace them. I just don't know
whether if it is worth me waiting 12 months or more until I can get an
affordable 10mp minolta. My think is is that I just go the 7D now while
it's cheap and if I am successful I can buy bigger and better later or

if
that doesn't happen then I am comfortable in the knowledge that I have a
damn decent camera for amateur use.
what are your thoughts?
cheers
Jasen

That's the right plan.I bought a 7D in the last two weeks and love
being able to use all my Minolta lenses and 5400 xi flash with it. You
can do an awful lot with 6 mp. If you sit around waiting for 10, by the
time it comes out you will think you need 15. It is just like computers
- there will always be something better and cheaper next year, but if
you keep waiting you will never have one. The 7D has a $200 rebate
going through the end of the year (at least in the US) and that makes
it a very attractive buy.

Mark Cutler

Thanks Mark, that's very helpful. We have a $AU300 rebate equivalent to
about $US225 but our version is a tad more expensive out here is Australia.
cheers
Jasen

Old September 29th 05, 06:05 PM
Digital Photography Now

In (Konica) Minolta's defence, all the best third party flash vendors
support the proprietary mount, including Sigma, Metz and Sunpak, so what's
the problem?

Ian

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com
Visit our discussion forum at http://dpnow.com/Forums.html

"Lionel" wrote in message
7.138...
Alan Browne wrote in
:

The Maxxum 7D follows the "high end" principles of Minolta's film
cameras since the mid 90's:

And suffers the same fate of having a significantly smaller selection of
available lenses compared to Canon and Nikon systems, as well as the same
proprietary flash mount which limits the selection of 3rd party external
flash units.

Old September 30th 05, 01:09 AM
Alan Browne

Lionel wrote:

Alan Browne wrote in
:

The Maxxum 7D follows the "high end" principles of Minolta's film
cameras since the mid 90's:

And suffers the same fate of having a significantly smaller selection of
available lenses compared to Canon and Nikon systems, as well as the same
proprietary flash mount which limits the selection of 3rd party external
flash units.

The large proportion of people who spout that line do not have any high
end investment in the Canon/Nikon glass that they are defending, and
very, very few can match my Minolta set for performance or value.

It's been and remains a non-starter.

The Minolta wireless flash system came out ahead of Nikon's (not sure
about Canon). It works fine, thanks. Sigma and others offer compatible
flashes in any case. Current Canon and Nikon flashes have so many
proprietary hooks that the claim to a "standard" is little more than hot
air.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 30th 05, 01:17 AM
Alan Browne

Jasen wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

Jasen wrote:

Read your review, very interesting reading. You sound like a seasoned
professional, but do you think this camera would be fine for someone who
considers themselves as a serious amateur (come apiring

semi-professional

starting out on a modest budget) who wants to concentrate on wildlife,
nature/macro and travel photography with some people shots thrown in?

Thanks for your comments, but I'm not a professional, I just like
photography and do a lot of it.

The Maxxum 7D follows the "high end" principles of Minolta's film
cameras since the mid 90's: Put the controls out where they're of use
to the photographer (not in menus). Because of this, these cameras are
well suited to pros and to serious amateurs. They can be run from full
manual to full P&S (and everywhere in between) as you may require

Cheers,
Alan.

No worries Alan.
What about image quality and image size? A pro photographer buddy of mine
in the UK recommended the EOS 20D but I can't buy into that without parting
with my Minolta lenses and big bucks to replace them. I just don't know
whether if it is worth me waiting 12 months or more until I can get an
affordable 10mp minolta. My think is is that I just go the 7D now while
it's cheap and if I am successful I can buy bigger and better later or if
that doesn't happen then I am comfortable in the knowledge that I have a
damn decent camera for amateur use.
what are your thoughts?

For all prints up to 10x15, the camera is fine. With more advanced
image processing, that could be pushed somewhat. I would bet at 24x16
it would be reasnable (125 dpi print) if not viewed too closely.

Yes, recomending the 20D is indeed popular. It's a sure bet to please
anyone and a lot of real pros (as opposed to pretenders) use the 20D all
day long. I played with one briefly in Florida earlier this month and
enjoyed it. (haven't received the photos come to think of it).

There is no guarantee what Minolta will or won't do. They are deeply in
3rd or 4th place in DSLR's. A pro I know just told me that he's buying
a second 7D as a backup to replace his backup zlr.

You could opt for a less expensive Maxxum 5D in the meantime. Same
sensor as the 7D, so image result should be the same. Ergonomically
crippled, alas, but functionally every bit as good. If the 10/12 Mpix
Minolta does not show then you could seguee to Canon or the others...

Cheers,
Alan.
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 30th 05, 08:04 PM
Nostrobino

"Lionel" wrote in message
7.138...
Alan Browne wrote in
:

The Maxxum 7D follows the "high end" principles of Minolta's film
cameras since the mid 90's:

And suffers the same fate of having a significantly smaller selection of
available lenses compared to Canon and Nikon systems,

Ha ha. I already have more Maxxum lenses (mostly Minolta, some other brands
too) than I am likely ever to need, and have really got to start selling
some off. Everything from a fisheye to as long a tele lens as I'll ever
want, now made effectively 1.5x longer by the dSLR's multiplier.

Between Minolta's and the many proprietary lens offerings, it is hard to
imagine that causing much "suffering" amongst Minoltaphiles. And there are
surely a lot of us out here.

as well as the same
proprietary flash mount which limits the selection of 3rd party external
flash units.

It surely doesn't limit it *much*, as most if not all the major flash
manufacturers produce flash units with the Maxxum foot.

Anyway, how is that more of an issue than with, say, Nikon? If you want an
external flash that makes full use of the Nikon cameras' features, you have
a choice of exactly *two* flash units: the Nikon SB-600 and SB-800.

N.

Old September 30th 05, 11:46 PM
Digital Photography Now

Sunpak, Metz and Sigma now have e-ttl and i-ttl models for the latest Nikon
and Canon DSLRs.

Ian

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com
Visit our discussion forum at http://dpnow.com/Forums.html

"Nostrobino" wrote in message

"Lionel" wrote in message
7.138...
Alan Browne wrote in
:

Old October 1st 05, 09:29 AM
nick c

Digital Photography Now wrote:
Sunpak, Metz and Sigma now have e-ttl and i-ttl models for the latest Nikon
and Canon DSLRs.

Ian

Beware. The Sunpak PZ-040X supposedly does not work with Canons 20D or
1DMKII cameras. It doesn't work with some model Nikons too but I forgot
which models they were.

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com
Visit our discussion forum at http://dpnow.com/Forums.html

"Nostrobino" wrote in message

"Lionel" wrote in message
. 197.138...

Alan Browne wrote in
:

Old October 1st 05, 09:35 PM
Digital Photography Now

I had a PZ-40X in to test with an EOS-350D (Rebel XT) and it worked without
any problem. The older (but still current) PZ-4000AF and PZ-5000AF models
are not i-ttl or e-ttl compatible.

If you have any more info about the PZ-40X not working properly with Canon
or Nikon DSLRs, I'd like to know.

"nick c" wrote in message
Digital Photography Now wrote:
Sunpak, Metz and Sigma now have e-ttl and i-ttl models for the latest
Nikon and Canon DSLRs.

Ian

Beware. The Sunpak PZ-040X supposedly does not work with Canons 20D or
1DMKII cameras. It doesn't work with some model Nikons too but I forgot
which models they were.

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com
Visit our discussion forum at http://dpnow.com/Forums.html

"Nostrobino" wrote in message

"Lionel" wrote in message
.197.138...

Alan Browne wrote in
:

Old October 2nd 05, 12:29 PM
nick c

Digital Photography Now wrote:
I had a PZ-40X in to test with an EOS-350D (Rebel XT) and it worked without
any problem. The older (but still current) PZ-4000AF and PZ-5000AF models
are not i-ttl or e-ttl compatible.

If you have any more info about the PZ-40X not working properly with Canon
or Nikon DSLRs, I'd like to know.

Ian

I was interested in getting the PZ-040X, because of it's size, to use on
both my 20D and 1DMKII cameras. I have the big B&W catalog and looked it
up in the catalog, priced at $124.95. I was going to call B&W to order
one but before I did, I decided to do a Google to see if I could find
additional useful information about the flash. There's lots of info
(often repetitive) to be found when doing a search. I 'think' it was
when I clicked on Adorama and searched for PZ-040X to compare price, I
found it listed for Nikon and Canon. I hope I'm right about it being
Adorama. It was some time ago when I did the Google search. It was when
I clicked on the Nikon and Canon indicators that I read the
incompatibility of the PZ-040X flash with specific camera bodies. The
B&W catalog that I have, which is their latest one, provides NO specific
information concerning camera body incompatibility.

With Canon, the only incompatible bodies listed were the 20D and 1DMKII
(just my luck). With Nikon, there were a bunch of camera bodies listed
but I can't recall what they were. I can say the F4 and F5 cameras were
not listed; I have both these bodies. This is the only area I came
across that warned about camera body incompatibility. I don't recall
seeing anything mentioned on the Sunpak web cite about camera body
incompatibility.

I didn't bother to Bookmark where I read the incompatibility information
'cause when I read about it I lost interest.

Snip

Old October 2nd 05, 03:05 PM
Geir Eivind Mork

Lionel wrote:

The Maxxum 7D follows the "high end" principles of Minolta's film
cameras since the mid 90's:

And suffers the same fate of having a significantly smaller selection of
available lenses compared to Canon and Nikon systems, as well as the same
proprietary flash mount which limits the selection of 3rd party external
flash units.

As a minolta owner for ten years, i've found the smaller selection only
limiting for people with way better echonomy than a regular amatour
looking for very special lenses. So those in the marked for a SLR do no
worse in selecting a Minolta -slr than any other brand due to the
relevant selection beeing fairly equal.

For those feeling the flash mount isn't exactly standard enough, there
are converters for those ratty old sync flashes you'd like to use with
it. And for modern flashes, 3rd party support and minoltas own are great.

All brands have their positive and negative sides. Stop beeing so narrow
minded. But ofcourse, if you're a professional you'll find the lack of
pro support and pro gear limiting in olympus, pentax and minolta.