[SI] Shoot in photography challenge - New mandate - try it out!

Old June 4th 05, 07:12 PM
Alan Browne

Default [SI] Shoot in photography challenge - New mandate - try it out!

Current mandate is:

"Out of Africa" (no you don't need to go to Africa!).

Due: June 19 2005.

When most people think wildlife photography, they think of trips to
exotic lands laden with helpful subjects, such that Africa is known for.
The point of this mandate is exactly the opposite - your goal is to
produce a wildlife image as close to home as possible, preferably in
your own backyard or even within the house.

Anything else goes - zoo, tame animal, macro, whatever you like, it
simply has to look "wild". Extra points for the most natural-looking
setting or behavior.

Have fun!

Mandator - Al Denelsbeck, June 3, 2005

Due: June 19, 2005

The rulz can be found at http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html

photos at http://www.pbase.com/shootin/africa
http://www.pbase.com/shootin

( Discussion is at news:rec.photo.equipment.35mm )

Cheers,
Alan.
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 4th 05, 09:52 PM
Charles Schuler

When most people think wildlife photography, they think of trips to exotic
lands laden with helpful subjects, such that Africa is known for. The
point of this mandate is exactly the opposite - your goal is to produce a
wildlife image as close to home as possible, preferably in your own
backyard or even within the house.

This was taken less than one mile from my home:
http://home.comcast.net/~charlesschu...8/site1057.jpg

Old June 4th 05, 10:10 PM
Alan Browne

Charles Schuler wrote:

When most people think wildlife photography, they think of trips to
exotic lands laden with helpful subjects, such that Africa is known
for. The point of this mandate is exactly the opposite - your goal
is to produce a wildlife image as close to home as possible,
preferably in your own backyard or even within the house.

This was taken less than one mile from my home:
http://home.comcast.net/~charlesschu...8/site1057.jpg

I remember that one...

So you live in a great place to participate in this mandate...
one of the rules states, however, that you should take your photo after
the mandate is given.

See the rules: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 4th 05, 10:14 PM
Charles Schuler

So you live in a great place to participate in this mandate...
one of the rules states, however, that you should take your photo after
the mandate is given.

Aw, gee, you mean I actually have to work at this?

Old June 5th 05, 12:04 AM
Slack

Alan Browne wrote:
Charles Schuler wrote:

When most people think wildlife photography, they think of trips to
exotic lands laden with helpful subjects, such that Africa is known
for. The point of this mandate is exactly the opposite - your goal
is to produce a wildlife image as close to home as possible,
preferably in your own backyard or even within the house.

This was taken less than one mile from my home:
http://home.comcast.net/~charlesschu...8/site1057.jpg

I remember that one...

So you live in a great place to participate in this mandate...
one of the rules states, however, that you should take your photo after
the mandate is given.

See the rules: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html

Cheers,
Alan

quote from the Rules

* When submitting an archived image (one shot at any time before the
mandate was announced), then you should append "_old" to the file name.

For example, "DER_Matt_Clara_old.jpg"
end quote

Although, the OP did fail the name format.
--
Slack
Old June 5th 05, 12:08 AM
Alan Browne

Charles Schuler wrote:

So you live in a great place to participate in this mandate...
one of the rules states, however, that you should take your photo after
the mandate is given.

Aw, gee, you mean I actually have to work at this?

You don't have to do anything, but 'in-mandate-period' posts get the
admiration and aplause you'll richly deserve for a great photo.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 5th 05, 12:10 AM
Alan Browne

Slack wrote:

quote from the Rules

* When submitting an archived image (one shot at any time before the
mandate was announced), then you should append "_old" to the file name.

quote from the Rules

* To fully participate in the shoot-in is to create a new photo to the
mandate during the mandate period. If you're just too busy, or are on a
budget, you're still welcome and invited.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 5th 05, 12:12 AM
Tony Polson

"Charles Schuler" wrote:
"Alan Brownbe"
So you live in a great place to participate in this mandate...
one of the rules states, however, that you should take your photo after
the mandate is given.

Aw, gee, you mean I actually have to work at this?

No, the whole idea is to look through your archive of snapshots taken
over the last 20 years, and select one whose subject matter bears only
the vaguest resemblance to the mandate, if any.

You then write an essay of at least 1500 words on why your completely
irrelevant shot just satisfies the mandate on the basis of one obscure
point that is not even faintly obvious from looking at the picture.

At least, that's what Alan Brownbe does.

;-)
Old June 5th 05, 12:30 AM
Alan Browne

Tony Polson wrote:

At least, that's what Alan Brownbe does.

You have no idea what I do. Most of my images are not archive, but
better to submit that than nothing at all.

Once upon a time you declared that a real photographer has to shoot to
the mandate ... but you're too cowardly to do so. No surprise given the
windbag that you are.

You can't rest on the laurels of your claimed 1970's Paris Match Cover
forever Polson. If it's true at all. You've shown no evidence that it
is.

Put up or shutup Tony Polson.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 5th 05, 01:09 AM
Slack

Alan Browne wrote:

Slack wrote:

quote from the Rules

* When submitting an archived image (one shot at any time before the
mandate was announced), then you should append "_old" to the file name.

quote from the Rules

* To fully participate in the shoot-in is to create a new photo to the
mandate during the mandate period. If you're just too busy, or are on a
budget, you're still welcome and invited.

Thanks for the clarification.

Hopefully I can come up with something good to submit.
--
Slack