Best non-backpack carrying case for monorail 4x5 (Arca-Swiss)?

Old February 2nd 04, 05:25 PM
Barry

Default Best non-backpack carrying case for monorail 4x5 (Arca-Swiss)?

I recently bought an Arca-Swiss F metric 4x5. Now I need a case for
the camera, three lenses, binocular viewer, polaroid holder, film,
etc.

I don't need a backpack for the camera because I'm going to shoot
architecture and portraits with it, mostly within reach of a car,
although I'll certainly need to put the case on a cart and roll it up
and down curbs, so it will be jarred a bit. The main thing I want is
quick set-up and storage, preferably with the camera and lens fully
assembled. Second best would be to remove the lens only.

Obviously, I don't want to damage the equipment, but I've learned that
excessive set-up and breakdown time is a critical factor in the race
against oncoming weather, fading light, impatient portrait subjects,
etc. Is it safe to hang the camera upside-down in a bag, suspended
from the optical bench with space all around it? Are there bags
designed for that purpose? The camera compresses and disassembles
beautifully, but I don't want to hassle with that every time I want to
drive five minutes to a new location. Life and light are fleeting.

-- Barry
Old February 3rd 04, 01:36 AM
Pieter Litchfield

I have an Omega 4x5 monorail camera that was given to me! Being cheap, I
wanted something to protect it well, but at a low cost case. I got a roll
around tool box (Stanley I think) at Home Depot for $19.95. I then modified
the top tote box by cutting out the center section and adding a wood frame
and foam padding covered with Cordura nylon. I put a 1x3 in the bottom of
the box (not fastened or glued) with a bolt thru it. The tripod mount of
the camera is secured to the bolt, the camera bellows are fully retracted
and centered. The whole thing (with 1x3 attached) is placed in the toolbox
and the tote tray slid down over it. This secures it in all directions.
Lastly the stock Stanley top is snapped on with bails at each end, and its
ready to go. Room for accessories in tray. Has wheels and a retractible
suitcase style handle.

om...

Old February 3rd 04, 02:38 PM
Argon3

You might check out the Hardigg Storm cases...I've been looking at them as an
alternative to a Pelican case. They have several models that are available as
"rolling suitcase" configurations and they recently made a set of dividers
available as an alterntive to a diced foam interior. You may have to go some
to get one of the companies that handle these cases to "turn you on" to the
divider system as it is brand new and they don't seem to be aware of it yet.
Try cases4less.com or cases2go.com to find them.
They also have the advantage of coming in several colors...so either
high-visibility yellow or orange or olive drab are options.

argon
Old February 4th 04, 08:02 PM
Barry

(Argon3) wrote in message ...
You might check out the Hardigg Storm cases...I've been looking at them as an
alternative to a Pelican case. They have several models that are available as
"rolling suitcase" configurations and they recently made a set of dividers
available as an alterntive to a diced foam interior. You may have to go some
to get one of the companies that handle these cases to "turn you on" to the
divider system as it is brand new and they don't seem to be aware of it yet.
Try cases4less.com or cases2go.com to find them.
They also have the advantage of coming in several colors...so either
high-visibility yellow or orange or olive drab are options.

argon

Thanks for the advice. The Hardigg Storm cases look like they've got
a lot of latches on them. Have you seen one in person?

The case turns out to be a vexing problem. Now I know why the 6x9
format is getting popular. Must be a lot of Arca-Swiss architecture
shooters who have figured this out, however.

The Lightware V4300 looks like it will hold the camera upside-down on
the rail, but the leftover interior space will be 18" deep (the
exterior is 21" high), which is not ideal. As much as I like the idea
of a fully assembled camera, I'd be fishing accessories out of a deep
black well. About $400 at B&H. Lightware has an even bigger case,
the V4001, that comes with a removeable "cradle box" -- anyone use
one? -- but the exterior of the case is 27Lx17.5Wx21H" (i.e., bulky)
and it's $446. Neither case has wheels. Pelican's 1620 would also
hold a fully assembled Arca 4x5 upside-down, and it does have wheels,
but it's even bigger, with exterior dimensions of roughly 25Lx19W
x14H. It's $267 with a divider set at all-pelican-cases-4-less.com.

Next most efficient option would seem to be removing the lens and
sliding the two standards onto one half of the upper rail, which would
give me a 12x9x6" shape to store. Laying the compressed camera on its
side would leave more space in the rest of the case, but then I would
need a case that is 9" deep on the interior, which is not a popular
size. (Many cases are 8 1/2" deep, however. Go figure.) The options
at the 9" depth seem to be the LowePro Pro Roller 3, which has an
interior size of 22Lx17Wx9D and an exterior size of 24.5Lx25Wx14D
(width includes a removeable tripod holder), $340 at B&H; and the
Pelican 1610, exterior dimensions 24.5Lx19.5Wx12H and interior
demensions of 22.25Lx17Wx10.5H, $194 with a divider set at
all-pelican-cases-4-less.com.

The last option is laying the camera flat with the ground-glass up.
That orientation would open up a lot of case options, but it would
carve a 12x9" rectangle out the case, which is a lot of real estate.
Pieter's conversion of a tool box is ingenious and economical, but I'm
still hoping for an off-the-shelf solution.

-- Barry
Old February 4th 04, 10:58 PM
Barry

Anybody love the PorterCase for a 4x5 monorail? -- Barry
Old February 8th 04, 04:26 PM
Argon3

Actually, I have seen the Hardigg cases in person and that's why I think that
I'll get one as an alternative to Pelican. The latches are very sturdy and
are not the "knuckle-busters" that the Pelicans seem to be. Bear in mind that
my system is a field camera, a couple of lenses on boards, some holders and the
usual meter, filters, etc. I also live in a large midwestern city...no, really
IN the city, not a suburb...and I always look for a certain amount of, shall we
say, "urban stealth" as far as transporting equipment is concerned. Haven't
tried it with a Storm cas yet, but having something that you can STAND on to
get that extra 10-12 inches of height to see the groundglass helps a lot.

argon
Old February 10th 04, 10:45 PM
Argon3

I would also suggest Strebor Cases...made in Canada and a great alternative to
Lightware.

argon