Replacing my Nikon EM/FG

Old January 9th 05, 12:37 AM
Ben

Default Replacing my Nikon EM/FG

My FG has died. Before it, I had two EM's. I'm trying to decide what to
buy as a replacement. I have two EM bodies and an FG body, three cases,
and several lenses for this type of camera. But it seems to me that
these models have been discontinued so long that any used model I buy
will be likely to break in the near future. But I have
equipment--cases, etc. that works with these cameras. And they are
cheap. EM bodies with a 60-day warranty start at $70. Are there any
newer models that will use the case from the FG/EM line? such as the
FE-2?

I am a little confused about lenses. Will a Nikon FM-2n be able to use
my lenses? Is the FM-2n better than the FM-2

What is a wrinkled shuttered curtain, and does it affect performance?

I've been looking at KEH, which seems to have the best prices. What is
their reputation?

Old January 9th 05, 01:02 AM
Phil Stripling

"Ben" writes:

cheap. EM bodies with a 60-day warranty start at $70. Are there any
newer models that will use the case from the FG/EM line? such as the
FE-2?

I think basing a purchase on what cases you can re-use is a mistake, but
you get to choose. I went from an FG to an FM2N, and my recollection is
that the body of the FM2n was bigger.

I am a little confused about lenses. Will a Nikon FM-2n be able to use
my lenses? Is the FM-2n better than the FM-2

I switched my lenses from the FG to the FM2n without issue. Is the FM2n
better? It's newer. Older cameras have less life left, unreasonable abuse
excepted. Go with a newer model. I've quit buying Nikonos IIIs because no
matter how good the condition of the body is, the camera fails when I'm
using it, and there's no repair facility where I'm using it. It's not worth
the cost to repair anyway. Get a newer model if at all possible.

SNIP
I've been looking at KEH, which seems to have the best prices. What is
their reputation?

I've bought from and sold to them, but not for over a decade. I'm planning
on selling a camera body to them. I was satisfied with my dealings with
them. I'd rather deal with KEH than eBay sellers.

Old January 9th 05, 01:24 AM
columbotrek

I just looked at my EM and compared it to my FM2. The FM2 is about 1/4
longer. The other dimensions are very close to the same. I don't have
the cases to compare.

Ben wrote:
I am a little confused about lenses. Will a Nikon FM-2n be able to use
my lenses? Is the FM-2n better than the FM-2

I think that the difference in the two is the flash sync. FM2 at 1/200
sec and the FM2n at 1/250 sec. Your lenses will work to some degree on
any Nikon body from the F2 on up. If you are looking at an auto focus
body be sure to check that it can do mechanical aperture indexing or you
will loose metering. I think that the N70, N90, F100, F4, F5, and F6
can do necessary indexing. I think any lens which worked on the FG or EM
will work on the FM2. You may want to look at the FE2 for its
electronic shutter and its AP auto exposure mode. Another good choice
would be the FM3a which you can still get new.

What is a wrinkled shuttered curtain, and does it affect performance?

Maybe. Wrinkled is damaged. Pass and find another. Unless you are
buying the body for parts or repair.

I've been looking at KEH, which seems to have the best prices. What is
their reputation?

KEH is reputed to be consertive on their condition descriptions. I
bought my FM2n from them and it was as stated. Of course 6 months after
I bought it, Nikon released the FM3a. Oh well.

Old January 9th 05, 03:59 AM
Ted Barker

I once had an FG. Now I have an FM2N and love it. Yes, your lenses will
work.
I'm not a big fan of KEH. Their prices are very high and I recently had a
not so good experience with them. I ordered a data back which they rated as
Like New -, and it had several scratches and scuffs on it. I just didn't
feel that it was rated accurately. I've used Charlotte Camera many times and
have been very pleased.

Old January 9th 05, 04:14 AM

Are you serious? You're the cheapest son of a bitch I've ever run into,
and that's saying a lot.

Get a life, moron.

Old January 9th 05, 05:36 AM
William Graham

"Ben" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been looking at KEH, which seems to have the best prices. What is
their reputation?

I've bought about 6 Nikkors from them in the last couple of years. They rate
their lenses a lot worse than they actually are. A lens they call, "bargain"
is actually very good to excellent. I have been very satisfied with all the
lenses that I have bought from them.

Old January 9th 05, 11:56 AM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article .com, Ben wrote:
My FG has died. Before it, I had two EM's. I'm trying to decide what to
buy as a replacement. I have two EM bodies and an FG body, three cases,
and several lenses for this type of camera. But it seems to me that
these models have been discontinued so long that any used model I buy
will be likely to break in the near future. But I have
equipment--cases, etc. that works with these cameras. And they are
cheap. EM bodies with a 60-day warranty start at $70. Are there any
newer models that will use the case from the FG/EM line? such as the
FE-2?

There were 3 cameras made using that body, The auto only (manual 90th)
EM, the Programed fully auto/manual FG, and an in between camera the FG20.

They were all made in the early 80's the EM circa 1981, the FG's a little
later.

Personaly I would decide if you want an auto only camera, or more function.
I would also decide if looks are important or not. Considering that if you
take any camera to be repaired it will cost $70 or more just for a cleaning
and simple repair, you might as well stock up on used EM's or less than
perfedt FG's. Just put a roll or two of film through them to make sure they
are ok, remove the batteries and store in a sealed plastic bag with a
dessicant (drying agent). Use them until the break and then sell the broken
ones on EBAY for parts.

I am a little confused about lenses. Will a Nikon FM-2n be able to use
my lenses? Is the FM-2n better than the FM-2?

The FM-2 came out with a top shutter speed of 1/4000 and a flash sync
(fastest full frame speed) of 1/200th. Six months or so later the FE-2
came out with the same shutter with electrical timing. It also was
slightly faster with a max full frame speed of 1/250th). The FM2 shutter
was replaced with the new shutter and the FM2's started to appear with
a flash sync of 1/250th. Nikon never changed the camera's designation,
but dealers called the new one the FM-2n.

Note that I a refering to the blades and their mount as the shutter,
not the timing mechanism.

What is a wrinkled shuttered curtain, and does it affect performance?

As long as it is light tight it does not matter.

I've been looking at KEH, which seems to have the best prices. What is
their reputation?

The undervalue their cameras. A mint camera is truely unmarked. A bargain
is a good user camera with enough marks to make it no longer the queen of
a collection.

Note that bargain cameras may be replaced under warranty instead of repaired.

Geoff.

IL Voice: 972-544-608-069 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
I may be an old fart, but I'm a high-tech, up to date old fart. :-)
Old January 9th 05, 01:48 PM
TLR

slightly faster with a max full frame speed of 1/250th). The FM2 shutter
was replaced with the new shutter and the FM2's started to appear with
a flash sync of 1/250th. Nikon never changed the camera's designation,
but dealers called the new one the FM-2n.

Not entirely true. In the front side of the camera it is still a FM2 legend,
but in the back side, the serial number begin with a N.
Regards