Epson Australian Landscape Competition Winner and Finalists

Old May 17th 07, 01:49 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
JoeT[_2_]

Default Epson Australian Landscape Competition Winner and Finalists

"Wayne J. Cosshall" wrote in message
u...
The point is that the terms made it clear than manipulation was fine. End
of story.

Now if you want a competition for unmanipulated, 'straight' photography
(whatever that means), I'll organise one. In fact, if you want, I'll even
make it a public choice one where you can score the images yourselves.
How's that?

My personal view with regard to manipulation is that unless there is a
documentary purpose to an image, anything goes. This is not because I do
not value the idea of being there and getting the image the hard way, but
because I see all photography as manipulation, since no 2d image can be a
'true' representation of our experience of the 3d world, so to me it is a
matter of drawing arbitrary lines in the sand. This has been discussed on
another list about setting the conditions for photography shows, as well
as competitions, and you see various attempts along these lines :
1 in camera manipulations only
2 minimal image enhancement
3 darkroom level manipulations
4 anything goes

If images entirely created in Photoshop were allowed and such an entry
actually prevailed then it was a Photoshop competition not a photo
competition. That's plain, simple and obvious. Photoshop imagery is a
different form of artistic expression than photography. A person can make
beautiful pictures in Photoshop without ever so much as touching a camera.
Having done so, however, in no way makes the person a photographer nor does
it make the picture they create a photograph.

Only an idiot (or delusional photographer wannabe) would argue this.