Kodak DX4900 battery problems

Old October 11th 04, 02:37 PM
Jer

Default Kodak DX4900 battery problems

Rick Courtier wrote:
My Kodak DX4900 camera just this weekend started to have battery problems.
I used rechargeable batteries and I thought I had a full charge on these
batteries but after just a few pictures the camera was showing that the
batteries were low. So I popped in a fresh set of durcells and these also
were having the same problem after a few shots. I checked the battery
indicators on the durcells and they show 100%. I popped them back in and was
able to take a few more pictures until again the camera show that the
batteries were getting low and then would shut off. After taking them out
and putting them back in it would be fine for a few more picture then would
go and show again the battery was low. I was not using the flash at all. And
I also tried and put in another set of freshly charged Kodak rechargable
batteries and it would do the same.

Any suggestion? I really don't want to replace the camera allready or go
through an expensive repair. . . the camera is not that old or used that
much. I just use it for Studebaker cars shows and not that pictures have
been taken on the camera. It is out of warranty I believe. I got it new off
Ebay a little over a year ago.

Thanks for any help!

Was the same charger used to recharge these batteries? If so, maybe the
charger isn't completely charging the batteries. Try recharging with a
different charger.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Old October 11th 04, 03:23 PM
Ron Hunter

Rick Courtier wrote:
[...]

If you will browse through the battery section of your manual, you will
find that alakaline batteries are NOT recommended for use in your
camera. And you have discovered the reason. Because of internal
resistance, they are not able to deliver the power stored in them. Use
NIMH rechargeables.
Old October 11th 04, 03:42 PM
Rick Courtier

That would explain the Durcells, but the rechargeable Nimh battery are still
an issue too. I will go out and try another charger. With fresh new
rechargeables just to rule everything out. . . but it seams to me that it
something else.

thanks

Old October 20th 04, 04:08 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings Rick,

Sorry to hear about your difficulty.

The alkaline batteries you used are not really the best for your camera as
it draws a lot of power in a way that will diminish a general alkaline. I
suggest that if you want to use non rechargeable batteries you consider
lithiums. Or, better, if you can find a CRV-3 battery, it should deliver
more than sufficient power for a couple of hundred or more shots.

Your best bet, of course, is to use a rechargable, i.e. the Kodak
rechargables if you have a dock or battery recharger. If not, get some
rechargable NiMH batteries as they should hold a good charge for you.

Let me know how you make out. After trying the lithiums and you find you
camera still does not work well, I will help you get your camera serviced,
if you like.

Talk to you soon, Rick,

Best regards,

Ron Baird

[...]