Which fast (MF) Nikon tele lens?

Old September 28th 03, 12:45 PM
Thomas Hintze

Default Which fast (MF) Nikon tele lens?

Hi folks,

now that I more often do have the problem that my Nikkor 400/5.6 isn't
fast enough, especially when being combined with a teleconverter, I
want to switch a faster lens of this kind. Only problem I haven't
solved yet: Better buying the 400/3.5 of the 500/4.0.

(Since I am only using F4s bodies, missing P-chip is no problem)

Any advice on both lenses would be very helpfull.

Greets form Germany

Thomas
Old September 30th 03, 02:21 AM
Doug Greenberg

Both the 500 f4 and 400 f3.5 are really excellent optically. Both work well
with 1.4x and 2x teleconverters. And both can be bought for attractive
prices used right now. The 400 3.5 is probably a better buy these days,
because people can use the "chipped" 500 P lens with the newer cameras, and
that
probably is making them a bit more attractive to buyers.
On the other hand, you can have a chip added to the mount of a 400 f3.5 if
need be.

The determining factor might be what you want to take pictures of. If you
are a bird photographer I'd recommend the 500. Bird photographers never
think their lenses are long enough.
Doug Greenberg