Best graphics program to lecture students with graphics tablet

Old April 18th 08, 05:07 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Mrs. Chickpea

Default Best graphics program to lecture students with graphics tablet

What's a good simple pen-writing display program (freeware?) that can show
decent writing from a graphics tablet?

I bought the Wacom Intuos 3 graphics tablet and the optional pen with ink
refills for a class we're giving but the graphics are horrid for such an
expensive program.

We can't be assured our lecture room PCs (which are out of our control)
will have anything on them so freeware drawing is preferred.

We tried mspaint and ms powerpoint (assuming office is installed) but both
were horrid to get the graphics to work right. For one thing, as soon as
you lift the pen from the graphics tablet, you lose where you were even
with the ink pen.

Is there a better software program for simply relaying a teacher's drawing
to the screen (we're currently using the Intuos 3 plus MS Paint)?
Old April 18th 08, 05:52 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Beryl

Mrs. Chickpea wrote:
What's a good simple pen-writing display program (freeware?) that can show
decent writing from a graphics tablet?

I bought the Wacom Intuos 3 graphics tablet and the optional pen with ink
refills for a class we're giving but the graphics are horrid for such an
expensive program.

We can't be assured our lecture room PCs (which are out of our control)
will have anything on them so freeware drawing is preferred.

We tried mspaint and ms powerpoint (assuming office is installed) but both
were horrid to get the graphics to work right. For one thing, as soon as
you lift the pen from the graphics tablet, you lose where you were even
with the ink pen.

Have you played with settings in Wacom's Control Panel?

I have an older ARTZII tablet, and there's a Mapping/Speed tab in the
panel that has two pen *Positioning Mode* options.

Pen Mode repositions the cursor whenever you lift the pen and put it
back down in a different place on the tablet. Yeah, sometimes it's hard
to spot where the cursor went to.

Mouse Mode leaves the cursor right where it is, the same as when you
pick up your mouse at the edge of your mouse pad and set it back down in
the middle.

Old April 18th 08, 06:10 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
frederick

Mrs. Chickpea wrote:
What's a good simple pen-writing display program (freeware?) that can show
decent writing from a graphics tablet?

For freeware, "the Gimp" supports Wacom's functions, including pressure
sensitivity, reverse to erase etc.
The Gimp isn't simple, but for simple things a Wacom tablet isn't really
needed - is it?
Old April 18th 08, 09:45 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
rich

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 21:07:13 -0700, Mrs. Chickpea wrote:

What's a good simple pen-writing display program (freeware?) that can show
decent writing from a graphics tablet?

I bought the Wacom Intuos 3 graphics tablet and the optional pen with ink
refills for a class we're giving but the graphics are horrid for such an
expensive program.

We can't be assured our lecture room PCs (which are out of our control)
will have anything on them so freeware drawing is preferred.

We tried mspaint and ms powerpoint (assuming office is installed) but both
were horrid to get the graphics to work right. For one thing, as soon as
you lift the pen from the graphics tablet, you lose where you were even
with the ink pen.

Is there a better software program for simply relaying a teacher's drawing
to the screen (we're currently using the Intuos 3 plus MS Paint)?

I have a little Wacom Volito which came with ArtRage - excellent
application but perhaps too 'arty' for your requirements. Gimp, as the
other post said works with a tablet but the interface takes a bit of
getting used to.

I would have a look at Inkscape.
http://www.inkscape.org/index.php?lang=en

look at some of the screenshots
http://www.inkscape.org/screenshots/...n&version=0.45

there is one showing pen use about three quarters of the way down the page.

Its quite a hefty application, the installer runs to 34 MB or you can go
portable. The one I use is X-Inkscape from WinPenPack which is
excellent, although size is about 40-odd MB.
http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.40

--
rich
Old April 18th 08, 09:53 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Mike Dee

Rom wrote:

Artweaver (also has a portable version):
http://www.artweaver.de/index.php?artweaver_en

I second Artweaver.

--
dee
Old April 18th 08, 12:28 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
M.L.[_2_]

What's a good simple pen-writing display program (freeware?) that
can show decent writing from a graphics tablet?

I would have a look at Inkscape.
http://www.inkscape.org/index.php?lang=en

look at some of the screenshots
http://www.inkscape.org/screenshots/...n&version=0.45

Neither GIMP nor Inkscape meet the qualification of being "simple".
Old April 18th 08, 12:50 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
rich

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:28:32 +0000, M.L. wrote:

What's a good simple pen-writing display program (freeware?) that
can show decent writing from a graphics tablet?

I would have a look at Inkscape.
http://www.inkscape.org/index.php?lang=en

look at some of the screenshots
http://www.inkscape.org/screenshots/...n&version=0.45

Neither GIMP nor Inkscape meet the qualification of being "simple".

Obviously it is in the mind of the beholder.
What is difficult about selecting the calligraphy tool and writing on the
tablet?
As far as I can tell it does not suffer from "losing the place" when the
pen is lifted off the tablet but as one poster pointed out that could be
due to the tablet mode settings (ie could be in mouse mode).

--
rich
Old April 18th 08, 01:47 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Mrs. Chickpea

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 17:10:07 +1200, frederick wrote:

Mrs. Chickpea wrote:
What's a good simple pen-writing display program (freeware?) that can show
decent writing from a graphics tablet?

For freeware, "the Gimp" supports Wacom's functions, including pressure
sensitivity, reverse to erase etc.
The Gimp isn't simple, but for simple things a Wacom tablet isn't really
needed - is it?

Hi there Frederick,
Thanks for the help,

I'll try "The Gimp" but I agree it's not simple. The ONLY reason we got
this more expensive panel is we needed the 8.5x11 inch screen; it was the
only one at Frys that had a large screen.

The wierd thing is that the tablet size is WAY LARGER than the active area
(I guess they try to make it look bigger than it is) because I first bought
one about the size of 8.5x11 and the active area was about HALF that!

I'll read the other suggestions first though as I've got to get this
working today before shipping it out to the teachers (who will KILL ME if
it's cumbersome to use as a writing display for the class!).
Old April 18th 08, 01:55 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Mrs. Chickpea

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 21:52:41 -0700, Beryl wrote:
Have you played with settings in Wacom's Control Panel?

I have an older ARTZII tablet, and there's a Mapping/Speed tab in the
panel that has two pen *Positioning Mode*

Ah. That may be the pen-lifting problem. What we need to do is secure
somehow (tape?) the 8.5x11 sheet of paper to the tablet and then when the
teacher writes on the tablet, whatever they write is displayed on the
screen (and captured to video for future replay).

At first we looked at "document cameras" such as the ElmoUSA P10 and P30
http://www.avtg.com/elmo-p30-document-camera.htm
which work MUCH BETTER than the graphics tablet. But the cost was over
$2000 dollars, which is way too much for our budget. At least the 8.5x11
inch tablet was only $500 for the tablet and another $100 for the ink pen.

We must be in "mouse mode". I have the tablet in the office and will see if
there is a "control panel" in windows xp that will set this. I didn't
install the two discs that came with it because I thought that was
junkware.

Is this "control panel" in the windows xp control panel or on one of those
two discs?
Old April 18th 08, 09:52 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Beryl

Mrs. Chickpea wrote:
[...]

The driver & Control Panel applet came on a disk included with my
tablet, and I now use newer versions downloaded from Wacom's site.

I use Windows 98. Your XP may already have a Wacom tablet driver, but a
Wacom applet probably won't appear in Windows Control Panel unless you
install it from your disks.

My 6 x 8 has a clear overlay on the active area, so I can slide a sheet
of paper under it to trace an image. The Mapping/Speed tab in control
panel also lets me map the tablet's area to my monitor's screen area in
different ways.