What cameras or lenses you will take to visit national parks

Old January 9th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
asdf3b

Default What cameras or lenses you will take to visit national parks

Greetings! I am a retired senior citizen (soon to be sixty-nine) with
bad knees and like to visit the national parks in USA by car. I am
from USA. I have A crop camera - a Canon DSLR 300 D and many digicams
like Kodak z612 - 10x zoom camera, Kodak z1275 - a 5x zoom camera and
Nikon L10 and L12.

The first question is - Whether you will take a digicam or a DSLR. The
problem with DSLR is that they are too heavy. My DSLR body alone
weighs twenty ounces compared to a high end digicam like Canon G9
weighing 12 oz.

The second question is if one takes DSLR route, what lenses to take -
prime lenses or zoom lenses. Please do not suggest L cameras. They are
too expensive.

What camera and lenses you took when you visited the national parks?
With thanks.
Old January 9th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article
,
asdf3b wrote:

What camera and lenses you took when you visited the national parks?

The only two Canon lenses I own...20-35 & 28-200 (both non-L).
Old January 9th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

asdf3b wrote:
The first question is - Whether you will take a digicam or a DSLR.

The second question is if one takes DSLR route, what lenses to take
What camera and lenses you took when you visited the national parks?

Very simple: I took all of them. Cameras don't take good photos when they
are sitting on a shelf at home.
Each camera and each lens has its purpose and use and I would not want to
miss one of them.

jue
Old January 9th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. G D Geen

asdf3b wrote:

What camera and lenses you took when you visited the national parks?
With thanks.

I'm with Strat. I would take two zooms, 18-70 and 70-300, for taking
snaps. Now if I wanted to get artistic, I would take my 50mm f/1.4 and
105mm f2.8 micro.
Old January 9th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Jürgen Exner wrote:
asdf3b wrote:
The first question is - Whether you will take a digicam or a DSLR.

The second question is if one takes DSLR route, what lenses to take
What camera and lenses you took when you visited the national parks?

Very simple: I took all of them. Cameras don't take good photos when they
are sitting on a shelf at home.
Each camera and each lens has its purpose and use and I would not want to
miss one of them.

Good suggestion. Pull out a lens or two when heading out. A D80 with
20mm f/2.8 AF is really compact. And bolt a locked metal toolbox to the
bottom of your trunk for the rest, cars get broken into when left out
camping.
Old January 9th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Miller

What camera and lenses you took when you visited the national parks?
With thanks.

I took my Canon EOS 5D on my last trip to a national park (Canada's Banff,
Yoho & Jasper National Parks). I purchased a Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 especially
for that trip. The 5D was purchased, in part, in anticipation of that trip.
My only previous trip to a national park was to Yosemite. I took my 10D.
Basically, I took my best camera on both trips. Don't own a camera that is
too heavy for you. If you aren't going to use the camera because of a
specific trait, the just don't get one that has that trait. Get a camera
that you will use and use that for camera your photography.

Some pics and snaps from my Banff trip are at the following link, I think
the landscapes were all taken with the 24mm, though my 28-135 might have
contributed a landscape or two as well as most of the other shots, except
for the bear, that one was with the 400mm:

http://www.dyesscreek.com/galleries/...n_rockies_2007

A tripod was also an indispensable item on that trip.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

Old January 9th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 08:46:11 -0800, asdf3b wrote:

Greetings! I am a retired senior citizen (soon to be sixty-nine) with
bad knees and like to visit the national parks in USA by car. I am
from USA. I have A crop camera - a Canon DSLR 300 D and many digicams
like Kodak z612 - 10x zoom camera, Kodak z1275 - a 5x zoom camera and
Nikon L10 and L12.

The first question is - Whether you will take a digicam or a DSLR. The
problem with DSLR is that they are too heavy. My DSLR body alone
weighs twenty ounces compared to a high end digicam like Canon G9
weighing 12 oz.

The second question is if one takes DSLR route, what lenses to take -
prime lenses or zoom lenses. Please do not suggest L cameras. They are
too expensive.

What camera and lenses you took when you visited the national parks?
With thanks.

FWIW - my choice is quite easy. Since I hike and bicycle quite a bit,
keeping weight down to a reasonable level is of prime importance. I take
my Kodak P850. It has 12x zoom (about 420mm max) and shoots raw (I do like
to process a little). I also include a tripod which I leave in the car - I
occasionaly use it for panoramas, etc. 'Did' Yellowstone five times last
year - typically three to four times per year, usually about three or four
days at a time. We live about three hours from West Yellowstone.

I did find a nice bag which works as shoulder bag, fanny pack or totable
bag which holds the camera, spare battery and memory card wallet with a
bit of room left over.

Old January 9th 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

"asdf3b" wrote in message
Greetings! I am a retired senior citizen (soon to be sixty-nine) with
bad knees and like to visit the national parks in USA by car. I am
from USA. I have A crop camera - a Canon DSLR 300 D and many digicams
like Kodak z612 - 10x zoom camera, Kodak z1275 - a 5x zoom camera and
Nikon L10 and L12.

The first question is - Whether you will take a digicam or a DSLR. The
problem with DSLR is that they are too heavy. My DSLR body alone
weighs twenty ounces compared to a high end digicam like Canon G9
weighing 12 oz.

The second question is if one takes DSLR route, what lenses to take -
prime lenses or zoom lenses. Please do not suggest L cameras. They are
too expensive.

What camera and lenses you took when you visited the national parks?
With thanks.

I took the ones that I owned at the time.

If you go to Yellowstone, be aware that you only see 1% of the park from the
road. You must do
some heavy duty walking to see more. Yellowstone is no place for a person
who has bad knees.

Jim

Old January 9th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott W

On Jan 9, 7:38*am, "Mr. Strat" wrote:
In article
,

asdf3b wrote:
What camera and lenses you took when you visited the national parks?

The only two Canon lenses I own...20-35 & 28-200 (both non-L).

A pretty limited set of lenses, no fixed focal length lenses, not even
the 50mm f/1.8?

We have the 28-200 and it is alright for what it is and I use it a
lot, but for wild life the 70-300mm IS lens if far more useful.

I also find I use my 28mm f/2.8 lens a lot.

Scott

Old January 9th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott W

On Jan 9, 6:46*am, asdf3b wrote:
Greetings! I am a retired senior citizen (soon to be sixty-nine) with
bad knees and like to visit the national parks in USA by car. I am
from USA. I have A crop camera - *a Canon DSLR 300 D and many digicams
like Kodak z612 - 10x zoom camera, Kodak z1275 - a 5x zoom camera and
Nikon L10 and L12.

The first question is - Whether you will take a digicam or a DSLR. The
problem with DSLR is that they are too heavy. My DSLR body alone
weighs twenty ounces compared to a high end digicam like Canon G9
weighing 12 oz.

The second question is if one takes DSLR route, what lenses to take -
prime lenses or zoom lenses. Please do not suggest L cameras. They are
too expensive.

What camera and lenses you took when you visited the national parks?
With thanks.

We take the following
28mm f/2.8
50mm f/1.8
18-55mm
70-300mm IS
28-200mm
300mm f/4 IS
1.4x tele-converter

All of the above are Canon lenses.

We have some older lenes that are not that good and stay home pretty
much all the time.

To get wider angle views I do a lot of stitching.

Scott