Analog vs digital mattresses

Old April 8th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Harry Lockwood

Default Analog vs digital mattresses

In this morning's NY Times there is a full-page ad for a digital
mattress. (Not a joke, p. A11.) That's right, punch in your desired
sleep mode, stir the microprocessors into action, jump in and get the
best possible night's sleep of your life. At least that's the claim.
As an analog guy, I am not buying it. Call me a Luddite, but I've been
sleeping on an analog mattress for decades and see no reason to switch.

And what about the sheep jumping over those wooden rails? I've always
been content with images that are warm and fuzzy. And I don't dream in
color, damn it; B&W is good enough for me!

I'm just waiting (and I won't have long to wait) for the argument over
whether jpeg jumping-sheep or RAW jumping-sheep images are superior. If
I'm allowed to vote, it will certainly be for jpeg. Who needs all that
detail? And forget archival.

There seems to be no end to which these digital adherents will go. We
will surely soon see posts that proclaim "Analog mattresses are dead,
get over it!" Arrgh, here we go again.

HFL

--
Change hlockwood to hflockwood in email address
Old April 8th 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jeremy

"Harry Lockwood" wrote in message
In this morning's NY Times there is a full-page ad for a digital
mattress. (Not a joke, p. A11.)

You just can't stop trolling--even to the point of having to use off-topic
comments as your vehicle--can you?

What is your objective in all of this?

Old April 8th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Harry Lockwood

In article pt6Sh.7217$Cl.5746@trndny08, "jeremy"
wrote:

"Harry Lockwood" wrote in message
In this morning's NY Times there is a full-page ad for a digital
mattress. (Not a joke, p. A11.)

You just can't stop trolling--even to the point of having to use off-topic
comments as your vehicle--can you?

What is your objective in all of this?

C'mon, jeremy, lighten up.

My objective was to inject a little humor into the ever present battle
in this news group between digital and analog. But I was wasn't
kidding; that ad was indeed in this morning's Times.

And looking at the postings so far today, they were almost all OT, and
viciously so.

HFL

--
Change hlockwood to hflockwood in email address
Old April 8th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Duncan Chesley

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 13:28:56 GMT, Harry Lockwood
wrote:

stir the microprocessors into action,

I would think you would want them in sleep mode.

Good one, Harry. Thanks.

Cheers,
DuncanC

Old April 8th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

On Apr 8, 9:28 am, Harry Lockwood wrote:
[...]

Are my analog pillows compatible with this system or will I need to
upgrade?

Will I still dream in B&W or will they being oversaturated color?

:-)

Jim

Old April 8th 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

On Apr 8, 9:28 am, Harry Lockwood wrote:
In this morning's NY Times there is a full-page ad for a digital
mattress. (Not a joke, p. A11.) That's right, punch in your desired
sleep mode, stir the microprocessors into action, jump in and get the
best possible night's sleep of your life. At least that's the claim.
As an analog guy, I am not buying it. Call me a Luddite, but I've been
sleeping on an analog mattress for decades and see no reason to switch.

And what about the sheep jumping over those wooden rails? I've always
been content with images that are warm and fuzzy. And I don't dream in
color, damn it; B&W is good enough for me!

Luddite!

Digital sheep get you to sleep much faster.

Old April 8th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Harry Lockwood wrote:
In this morning's NY Times there is a full-page ad for a digital
mattress. (Not a joke, p. A11.) That's right, punch in your desired

You failed to get much wanted attention with your vainglorious return to
the fold message, so now you post this crap?

Tell ya what: post something about cameras, lenses, flashes,
photography, post some images..

But stop with this crap.
Old April 8th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott W

On Apr 8, 3:28 am, Harry Lockwood wrote:
[...]

http://www.philipkdick.com/works_novels_androids.html

Scott

Old April 8th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Harry Lockwood

In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

Harry Lockwood wrote:
In this morning's NY Times there is a full-page ad for a digital
mattress. (Not a joke, p. A11.) That's right, punch in your desired

You failed to get much wanted attention with your vainglorious return to
the fold message, so now you post this crap?

Tell ya what: post something about cameras, lenses, flashes,
photography, post some images..

But stop with this crap.

Well, Alan, I stand properly chastised; I'll try to live up to your
standards in the future. And I'll be watching to see that you do the
same.

I like that "vainglorious return" characterization, nice turn of a
phrase.

Per your request, you will find some of my images he
www.pbase.com/hlockwood. But since I've posted this pointer before, I'm
now open to the accusation of seeking "much wanted attention." Just
can't win, I guess.

I'm not at all good at "flashes" so I have nothing to contribute there.
But If you reread my posts you will see that I have indeed discussed
35mm hardware issues.

Oh, and on "photography." Yeah, I've had a few things to say there as
well.

HFL

--
Change hlockwood to hflockwood in email address
Old April 8th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pudentame

Harry Lockwood wrote:
In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

Harry Lockwood wrote:
[...]

Just an idea, in addition to captions, you might include cut-lines for
your photos.

http://web.ku.edu/~edit/captions.html