I'm looking for a book on Photoshop - 'Inside Photoshop".

Old March 22nd 18, 02:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default I'm looking for a book on Photoshop - 'Inside Photoshop".

I'm looking for a book about the workings of Photoshop CC. I don't
know what it is called, in fact I don't even know if it exists, but if
it does exist it might be called something like 'Inside Photoshop'.

I'm not interested in learning how edit photographs (for beginners),
I'm not interested in learning how use the various tools nor am I
interested in learning how to push their various buttons. What I would
like to know is what goes in inside Photoshop when I (for example)
create a clipping mask. This doesn't mean that I want to know the
actual code but I would like to know what the code is doing.

Is there such a book? Does anyone know?

Eric Stevens
Old March 22nd 18, 02:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I'm looking for a book about the workings of Photoshop CC. I don't
know what it is called, in fact I don't even know if it exists, but if
it does exist it might be called something like 'Inside Photoshop'.

I'm not interested in learning how edit photographs (for beginners),
I'm not interested in learning how use the various tools nor am I
interested in learning how to push their various buttons. What I would
like to know is what goes in inside Photoshop when I (for example)
create a clipping mask. This doesn't mean that I want to know the
actual code but I would like to know what the code is doing.

you want a book on image processing, although it's rather obvious how
it works.

Is there such a book? Does anyone know?

many of them.
Old March 22nd 18, 03:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| What I would
| like to know is what goes in inside Photoshop when I (for example)
| create a clipping mask. This doesn't mean that I want to know the
| actual code but I would like to know what the code is doing.
|
| Is there such a book? Does anyone know?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking,
but it sounds like what you want to know about is
graphics programming. You might be able to find
books, but unless you're writing code there's not
much call for such a thing. In other words, some
people want to know how to select an area. Some
people want to know how to write software that
allows for selecting an area. But few people want
to know how to do that without having any plan
to do it.

In brief, if you're dealing with raster images it's
all about the bitmap. The image, once loaded, is
what's known as a device-independent bitmap. A DIB.
Which is an array of byte values that represent a
grid of pixel color values.
The original image is one DIB. The mask is another
DIB. From there it's just math, differentiating the
pixels in the first DIB that coincide with the mask
from the pixels that are outside the mask. So for
instance if you mask a circular area and then want
to copy that to a white background, the copying
routine will calculate which pixels are within the
circle and copy only those.

It's all math. For example, resizing works by comparing
pixels in the vicinity of a given pixel in order to guess the
best color value for new filler pixels. There are various
methods for doing that. Bilinear resampling
will compare the 4 nearest pixels to choose a color
for added pixels when enlarging. Bicubic will compare the
16 nearest pixels, taking more time but resulting in a
better quality image.
Sharpening works by finding differences and increasing
them.... Lightening works by increasing the RGB pixel
values....

These days it gets almost magical, with the ability
to do things like remove an object from an image and
auto-fill that background convincingly. But it's all
still just math working with pixel grids.

By comparison with things like "intelligent" fill or
high quality resampling, a mask is grunt work.

Old March 22nd 18, 03:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| What I would
| like to know is what goes in inside Photoshop when I (for example)
| create a clipping mask. This doesn't mean that I want to know the
| actual code but I would like to know what the code is doing.
|
| Is there such a book? Does anyone know?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking,

then you shouldn't answer.

The original image is one DIB.

except when it's written for something other than windows.

The mask is another
DIB.

except when it's a path, especially one that overlaps.

From there it's just math, differentiating the
pixels in the first DIB that coincide with the mask
from the pixels that are outside the mask. So for
instance if you mask a circular area and then want
to copy that to a white background, the copying
routine will calculate which pixels are within the
circle and copy only those.

it's a *lot* more complicated than that.

It's all math. For example, resizing works by comparing
pixels in the vicinity of a given pixel in order to guess the
best color value for new filler pixels. There are various
methods for doing that. Bilinear resampling
will compare the 4 nearest pixels to choose a color
for added pixels when enlarging. Bicubic will compare the
16 nearest pixels, taking more time but resulting in a
better quality image.
Sharpening works by finding differences and increasing
them.... Lightening works by increasing the RGB pixel
values....

that's *very* simplified and not entirely correct. for example,
lightening doesn't work in rgb space and is a lot more advanced than
simply 'increasing the values' so as to not blow out highlights.

photoshop's healing brush uses partial differential equations.

These days it gets almost magical, with the ability
to do things like remove an object from an image and
auto-fill that background convincingly. But it's all
still just math working with pixel grids.

it's more than just math. there's now a lot of machine learning
involved.
Old March 22nd 18, 10:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 21:09:47 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I'm looking for a book about the workings of Photoshop CC. I don't
know what it is called, in fact I don't even know if it exists, but if
it does exist it might be called something like 'Inside Photoshop'.

I'm not interested in learning how edit photographs (for beginners),
I'm not interested in learning how use the various tools nor am I
interested in learning how to push their various buttons. What I would
like to know is what goes in inside Photoshop when I (for example)
create a clipping mask. This doesn't mean that I want to know the
actual code but I would like to know what the code is doing.

you want a book on image processing, although it's rather obvious how
it works.

Rather obvious?

OK then, you tell me what goes on when PS creates a clipping mask. I
don't need to know what it does (I already know that), I don't want to
know how to create a clipping mask (I already know), I don't want to
be told about the indented layer names, down arrow and layer name
underlining. What I want to know is when I create a clipping what is
it that goes on in PS with the basic entities that PS uses to
manipulate images.

I bet you can't.

Is there such a book? Does anyone know?

many of them.

How about a few names.

Eric Stevens
Old March 22nd 18, 10:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

"Eric Stevens" wrote

Well - yes. But I know that already.

Eric Stevens
Old March 22nd 18, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I'm looking for a book about the workings of Photoshop CC. I don't
know what it is called, in fact I don't even know if it exists, but if
it does exist it might be called something like 'Inside Photoshop'.

I'm not interested in learning how edit photographs (for beginners),
I'm not interested in learning how use the various tools nor am I
interested in learning how to push their various buttons. What I would
like to know is what goes in inside Photoshop when I (for example)
create a clipping mask. This doesn't mean that I want to know the
actual code but I would like to know what the code is doing.

you want a book on image processing, although it's rather obvious how
it works.

Rather obvious?

in general yes, although the exact algorithms aren't.

OK then, you tell me what goes on when PS creates a clipping mask. I
don't need to know what it does (I already know that), I don't want to
know how to create a clipping mask (I already know), I don't want to
be told about the indented layer names, down arrow and layer name
underlining. What I want to know is when I create a clipping what is
it that goes on in PS with the basic entities that PS uses to
manipulate images.

I bet you can't.

you'd be wrong.

Is there such a book? Does anyone know?

many of them.

How about a few names.

start he
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutherland*Hodgman_algorithm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greiner*Hormann_clipping_algorithm
Old March 22nd 18, 02:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| Well - yes. But I know that already.

OK. So if you know how to use a clipping
mask, and you understand how the actual
graphic operations work behind the scenes,
then what is it that you think you don't know?
I don't understand.

You said you want to know what the code
is doing. I gave you a brief outline of what the
code is doing. For any more you'd be getting
into the actual code.

Old March 22nd 18, 02:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"nospam" wrote

| The original image is one DIB.
|
| except when it's written for something other than windows.

Woops. Sorry. I should have mentioned that
on a Mac, raster images are actually composed
of 2 parts unicorn and 1 part butterflies.

Old March 22nd 18, 02:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

I don't understand.

yep.

You said you want to know what the code
is doing. I gave you a brief outline of what the
code is doing. For any more you'd be getting
into the actual code.

nope.