Quandary - DX or FX?

Old April 17th 13, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Quandary - DX or FX?

In article , PeterN
wrote:

do all DSLRs have auto ISO.

Well your D300 & D800 both have it.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_196.jpg

Yup! But not all do.

Most Nikon DSLRs do, and most importantly with regard to this particular
discussion the D7000 mentioned above does:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_197.jpg

True, but minimum shutter speeds can limit its usefulness.

not at all. that's exactly why auto-iso useful.
Old April 18th 13, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 18:17:37 -0400, PeterN

On 2013-04-17 13:48:18 -0700, PeterN said:

On 4/10/2013 5:29 AM, me wrote:
On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 07:10:59 +0000 (UTC), Nige Danton
wrote:

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've currently got a D7000 and an
18-105 lens.
Ive recently (this year) switched back to SLR's after a decade of
using
digital point and shoot. I'm certainly pleased with D7000, but am
finding
the 18-105 to be a bit too slow in low light (indoors without flash)
and am
thinking of buying a faster lens.

First, try the no cost solution of either bumping the iso up and/or
trying the auto-iso function to allow you to do it with some
additional control. What shutter/f.l. combos are you shooting.

do all DSLRs have auto ISO.

Well your D300 & D800 both have it.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_196.jpg

Yup! But not all do.

Most Nikon DSLRs do, and most importantly with regard to this particular
discussion the D7000 mentioned above does:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_197.jpg

True, but minimum shutter speeds can limit its usefulness.

In the D200/D300 which I own you can set a max iso and min shutter
speed.Shhot aperture priority and you also have control of that within
all the defined limits. Lower level Nikons may not implement this the
same way and Canon does not follow this full implementation either.
Old April 18th 13, 12:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Same for my D300S.
In the above screen shot of page #103 section #3, of the D7000 manual,
you will see that the D7000 does just that.
As far as how Canon goes about this, I do not know.

My old D70 goes about Auto ISO in a very different way when combined
with "P", "A", or "DVP" modes.

Savageduck

Old April 18th 13, 07:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Trevor[_2_]

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 4/10/2013 9:08 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
A DX camera can be advantageous for event photography (where you may be
trying
to capture faces from across the room), because it amplifies the effect
of a
telephoto lens. But not so much for landscapes, where you may need the
wider
view of FX.

One can alwyas shoot an fx in dx mode.

Or simply crop later in PS.

Trevor.

Old April 18th 13, 10:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 16:56:09 -0700, Savageduck

On 2013-04-17 16:43:14 -0700, me said:

In the D200/D300 which I own you can set a max iso and min shutter
speed.Shhot aperture priority and you also have control of that within
all the defined limits. Lower level Nikons may not implement this the
same way and Canon does not follow this full implementation either.

Same for my D300S.
In the above screen shot of page #103 section #3, of the D7000 manual,
you will see that the D7000 does just that.
As far as how Canon goes about this, I do not know.

My old D70 goes about Auto ISO in a very different way when combined
with "P", "A", or "DVP" modes.

D200 is limited to a min 1/250th shutter speed in autoiso. D300 was
too initially. I know I left requests to allow shorter on the Nikon
Tech Support forum and in the 1.1 firmware release this was changed to
allow much faster speeds to be set.
Old April 18th 13, 01:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Which was my point. That when you can set exactly the correct aperture
and shutter speed for the shot, your exposure is corrected through auto
ISO. If the range of the variables is narrowed, the usefulness of
auto-ISO decreases.

--
PeterN
Old April 18th 13, 01:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 2013-04-17 16:43:14 -0700, me said:

In the D200/D300 which I own you can set a max iso and min shutter
speed.Shhot aperture priority and you also have control of that within
all the defined limits. Lower level Nikons may not implement this the
same way and Canon does not follow this full implementation either.

Same for my D300S.
In the above screen shot of page #103 section #3, of the D7000 manual,
you will see that the D7000 does just that.
As far as how Canon goes about this, I do not know.

My old D70 goes about Auto ISO in a very different way when combined
with "P", "A", or "DVP" modes.

D200 is limited to a min 1/250th shutter speed in autoiso. D300 was
too initially. I know I left requests to allow shorter on the Nikon
Tech Support forum and in the 1.1 firmware release this was changed to
allow much faster speeds to be set.

There is also a practical limit in noise level at a higher ISO. My D200
ws quite noisy above 800. My D300 produced usable images at 1600-2000,
although there was some noise. Though with today's noise reduction
software, my guess is that the limits may be higher.

--
PeterN
Old April 18th 13, 02:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 4/18/2013 2:23 AM, Trevor wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 4/10/2013 9:08 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
A DX camera can be advantageous for event photography (where you may be
trying
to capture faces from across the room), because it amplifies the effect
of a
telephoto lens. But not so much for landscapes, where you may need the
wider
view of FX.

One can alwyas shoot an fx in dx mode.

Or simply crop later in PS.

I have been shooting with W/A DX lenses in FF, and cropping in PS.
No decent results, yet.

--
PeterN
Old April 18th 13, 09:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 08:51:33 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

Which was my point. That when you can set exactly the correct aperture
and shutter speed for the shot, your exposure is corrected through auto
ISO. If the range of the variables is narrowed, the usefulness of
auto-ISO decreases.

Who said one need specify an exact shutter speed? Maybe there are
other requirements. Shoot long focal length (fl 560mm or 800mm on a
D300), even with image stabilization, one wishes to pu a lower limit
on the shutter speed. Especially in an environment when the lighting
changes quite drastically and one can not manually adjust. Or action
shots fast enough to freeze or at a minimum partially freeze motion
and again when lighting may change quickly.
Old April 19th 13, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

wrote:

Which was my point. That when you can set exactly the correct aperture
and shutter speed for the shot, your exposure is corrected through auto
ISO. If the range of the variables is narrowed, the usefulness of
auto-ISO decreases.

Who said one need specify an exact shutter speed? Maybe there are
other requirements. Shoot long focal length (fl 560mm or 800mm on a
D300), even with image stabilization, one wishes to pu a lower limit
on the shutter speed. Especially in an environment when the lighting
changes quite drastically and one can not manually adjust. Or action
shots fast enough to freeze or at a minimum partially freeze motion
and again when lighting may change quickly.

One use for auto ISO, is shooting sports, where the maker wants freeze
action shots, with specified DOF. As I write this I am thinking that any
time the maker wants control over both DOF and shutter speed,, auto ISO
is the enabling factor.

--
PeterN