posable figures to learn posing?

Old August 25th 09, 01:52 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.people
james

Default posable figures to learn posing?

Is there any software with 3D posable figures that I can use to practice
posing models for portraits?

Realistic looking posable dolls would also work. By realistic, I mean non
shinny skin.

I'm not much of an artist. If someone could figure out a way to teach this
skill as an engineering skill rather than an artistic skill, that would be
even better for me.

Old August 25th 09, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.people
K W Hart

"james" wrote in message
Is there any software with 3D posable figures that I can use to practice
posing models for portraits?

Realistic looking posable dolls would also work. By realistic, I mean non
shinny skin.

I'm not much of an artist. If someone could figure out a way to teach this
skill as an engineering skill rather than an artistic skill, that would be
even better for me.

Study poses of people in portraits you like, and try to copy those poses.
Check poses in modeling publications. While you are studying the poses you
might also consider studying the lighting.

Realistic looking dolls are available at your local "adult" gift store. An
air compressor is helpful. Also a patch kit.

Artistic posing is an artistic skill. You don't pose a person so that they
are structural. You pose them so that they look good. In fact, if they are
structural, the pose probably won't look good- there's an old rule in
posing: "If it's comfortable, it's wrong"