How do you color-correct for bounce flash off a ceiling?

Old March 28th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
DeanB

Default How do you color-correct for bounce flash off a ceiling?

I'm getting really nice lighting for portraits by bouncing the flash
off the ceiling, but what if the ceiling has a tint to it? Is there a
way to account for this and correct in (on a Nikon D2Hs, for example)?

Old March 28th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
King Sardon

On 28 Mar 2007 07:25:08 -0700, "DeanB" wrote:

I'm getting really nice lighting for portraits by bouncing the flash
off the ceiling, but what if the ceiling has a tint to it? Is there a
way to account for this and correct in (on a Nikon D2Hs, for example)?

Yeah, I've wondered about that too... all the more because some of
that bounce will come off colored walls, giving a complicated mix of
white and colored reflected light.

But in practice it all seems to work fine. Well, I wouldn't recommend
bouncing off colored surfaces for professional portrait work, but in
candid shots around the house I've never noticed any color casts.

You could always shoot raw. That gives the capability to change the
white balance later on.

KS
Old March 29th 07, 06:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie

In article .com,
"DeanB" wrote:

I'm getting really nice lighting for portraits by bouncing the flash
off the ceiling, but what if the ceiling has a tint to it? Is there a
way to account for this and correct in (on a Nikon D2Hs, for example)?

There's nothing to totally fix it. You can try adjusting the color
channel midpoints in photoshop so that bright direct light and dark
reflected light are closer in color.

Another option is a very fast lens so you need little or no flash
illumination. It helps blur the background out of portraits too.
Old March 30th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
DeanB

On Mar 30, 11:11 am, Just plain Dave wrote:
On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 22:08:28 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie

wrote:
In article .com,
"DeanB" wrote:

I'm getting really nice lighting for portraits by bouncing the flash
off the ceiling, but what if the ceiling has a tint to it? Is there a
way to account for this and correct .............................

There's nothing to totally fix it. .............

I don't know why people keep saying this about white point correction.

If the image has a tint or is partially tinted find something that
should be white and make it so.

Here is an example. The original image was lighted by an incandescent
lamp with a yellow shade. The image on the left is corrected.. Color
correction filters would accomplish the same thing but take a bit
longer.

http://www.pbase.com/dave6134/image/72302629

Am I totally misunderstanding the OP's question or the meaning of
white point?

Nope-you are understanding my point exactly. I have figured out how
the nikon does the white balance using a test shot, and it works
wonderfully.

Old March 30th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just plain Dave

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:03:06 GMT, King Sardon
wrote:

You could always shoot raw. That gives the capability to change the
white balance later on.

KS

Are you saying that raw files are the only ones that can be color
corrected? That is odd because I have been correcting JPEG files along
with TIF TGA and at on of other file formats for years.