Auto Correction Programs/Plug ins....

Old May 10th 06, 12:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Auto Correction Programs/Plug ins....

At the moment I am scanning and retouching my whole
photo catalogue but find that manually colour correcting, sharpening
etc is quite tedious. I have heard of programs such as 'intellihance'
which supposedly correct your photos automatically but I am a bit weary
of how good such programs actually are.
Can anyone here recommend such a program which
produces good results?, cost is not important if it does a good job - I
am not expecting 'perfect' results.

Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Old May 10th 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Sniper wrote:

At the moment I am scanning and retouching my whole
photo catalogue but find that manually colour correcting, sharpening
etc is quite tedious. I have heard of programs such as 'intellihance'
which supposedly correct your photos automatically but I am a bit weary
of how good such programs actually are.
Can anyone here recommend such a program which
produces good results?, cost is not important if it does a good job - I
am not expecting 'perfect' results.

Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Depends on your camera, to some extent. There is a program called DxO
Optics which does a great job of correcting images from good cameras,
since the program is tailored to the particular camera model and lens,
mostly for dslr's and high-end zlr's.

It corrects for lens distortion, vignetting, chromatic aberration,
tonality, noise, works with jpg and raw images and outputs either jpg,
tif, or dng files, is fully automatic after you have set your
parameters, takes about 40 seconds per image on a P4 3.00GHz computer.
It processed about 600 images from a trip overseas, left the computer
running overnight and I had the corrected images in the morning.

You can download a trial copy from http://www.dxo.com

Colin D.

Old May 10th 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Sniper wrote:
At the moment I am scanning and retouching my whole
photo catalogue but find that manually colour correcting, sharpening
etc is quite tedious. I have heard of programs such as 'intellihance'
which supposedly correct your photos automatically but I am a bit weary
of how good such programs actually are.
Can anyone here recommend such a program which
produces good results?, cost is not important if it does a good job - I
am not expecting 'perfect' results.

Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

You can create actions in Photoshop, get several of the common tasks
out of the way. Photoshop also has auto levels and auto contrast, which
sometimes work wonders, and sometimes provides disasters. If you have
your scan output down, these should work. Sometimes getting scans
consitant with images taken over years in different conditions and
different emulsions can be difficult. My only suggestion is to work on
an as need basis. 1st scanning your very best, then the most sellable,
then cover each request not scanned separately. Starting with each and
every slide page and slogging through the scanning of every slide, get
svery boring, & is not an effiecient use of time.
Now I have 3 or 4 file drawers ant home and at work, just have to use
my own advise. Self editing is hard work.

Good luck

Tom

Old May 10th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Sniper wrote:
At the moment I am scanning and retouching my whole
photo catalogue but find that manually colour correcting, sharpening
etc is quite tedious. I have heard of programs such as 'intellihance'
which supposedly correct your photos automatically but I am a bit weary
of how good such programs actually are.
Can anyone here recommend such a program which
produces good results?, cost is not important if it does a good job - I
am not expecting 'perfect' results.

Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Paint Shop Ptro can automate processes. One process can be
the One Step Photo Fix, which works well on the majority of
my photos, and most of the others need only additional
adjustments. But I don't see how any program can do all
tasks well, including cropping. In any case, you don't want
the automaed steps to erase of replace the original image.

I don't do anything with most of my photos - only the ones I
plan to do something with. I just file the others where I
can find them.
Old May 10th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Sniper"

Can anyone here recommend such a program which
produces good results?, cost is not important if it does a good job - I
am not expecting 'perfect' results.

Amazing for quick fixes:

http://www.xe847.com/main.shtml

Andreas

--
http://www.subworld.at

Old May 11th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

There is no one size fits all solution.
If a group of images are all made under identical, controlled lighting
conditions then there are a variety of ways to automate custom corrections
in Photoshop or perform similar batch processing in a number of secondary
programs.
DxO and Bibble are similar in many ways, although I actually prefer Bibble.
Bibble includes a one click automatic image adjustment option which, if you
like it, would greatly speed up global level, white balance, contrast and
color corrections.
Bibble and DxO also feature lens distortion corrections that sometimes give
a less than satisfactory result. Often simply dialing the pincushion/barrel
adjustment in CS2 (or a few free plug-ins) yields more appealing results.
However it is very useful to always check what these programs suggest for
distortion correction, if their databases include the lens you used, as both
a learning and aesthetic tool.

Old May 11th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

bmoag wrote:
[...]

Hi there, thanks for the advice. I downloaded Bibble and gave it a
trial run - I was very impressed with results of its automatic
correction tool. Only one thing puzzles me, the website for Bibble says
that there is a photoshop plug in, however when I downloaded the pro
version I could only find the stand-alone program and no plug in. Maybe
you could tell me where to get it?

thanks