Step Up Ring (from 37mm to ??)

Old October 27th 04, 04:50 PM
Beowulf

Default Step Up Ring (from 37mm to ??)

I've been playing around for a year or so with the Hoya RM90
IR pass filter on my Sony DTR-320 and want to get a second
filter now (a Hoya R72).

The ring size on my camera is 37mm. The RM90 filter has a
37mm threadsize, but I haven't been able to find any R72 filters
in that size, so I'm planning on buying a step-up ring.

Is there any size above 37mm that it would be better to step up to
over another. I was just going to go with 46mm since that's the first
step up, but wanted to check to see if there's any reason to another
size (like it'll be easier to find things that fit 49mm or 52mm than
46mm). Thanks.

--
What do you get when you multiply 6 by 9?
Old October 28th 04, 07:14 AM
Seymore

49 and 52mm filter are quite common. You should have little problem finding
what you're looking for in either of those sizes.

Seymore...
www.SonyCams.com
Sony F717
Nikon N90s
Nikon FM2
Nikon SB22 Speed-Light Flash
Nikkor MF 50mm 1.4/f16
Nikkor AF 24-50mm 3.3-4.5/f22
Nikkor AF 60mm 2.8/f32
Nikkor AF 35-135mm 3.5-4.5/f22
Tokina SZ-X 80-200mm 4.5-5.6/f32
Tokina AT-X 100-300mm 4/f32
remove "REMOVE" to reply directly

Old October 29th 04, 02:50 AM
DHB

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:50:33 GMT, Beowulf
wrote:

I've been playing around for a year or so with the Hoya RM90
IR pass filter on my Sony DTR-320 and want to get a second
filter now (a Hoya R72).

The ring size on my camera is 37mm. The RM90 filter has a
37mm threadsize, but I haven't been able to find any R72 filters
in that size, so I'm planning on buying a step-up ring.

Is there any size above 37mm that it would be better to step up to
over another. I was just going to go with 46mm since that's the first
step up, but wanted to check to see if there's any reason to another
size (like it'll be easier to find things that fit 49mm or 52mm than
46mm). Thanks.

Beowulf,
you basically answered your own question here with your last
statement. As a previous poster said "49 and 52mm filter are quite
common", B&H lists the HOYA R72 @ the same price of $39.99 USD for
both sizes, so I would get the 52mm filter & a 37-52mm step-up adapter
ring as it will fit more lenses down the road if needed & the price is
the same.

Be advised that the HOYA R72 is a near infrared filter which
actually lets a very small amount of red light to pass through it, but
for most applications this is not a problem & can even be a plus. I
have this filter & it works great on several digital cameras that I
have used it on. Some people like the "false color" effect but I
almost invariably convert all of my NIR pictures to grayscale (B&W) as
I find them more interesting that way. But this is just "my"
preference, feel free to use any effect that "you" like.

Here is a good web sight with interesting Near IR Into. &
tips:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/#FILTER

Hope you find this of value.

Respectfully, DHB

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old October 29th 04, 04:07 PM
Beowulf

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 01:50:34 GMT, DHB ejaculated:

wrote:

[...]

Are there any issues with going up that big a step with a single
adapter ring?

Be advised that the HOYA R72 is a near infrared filter which
actually lets a very small amount of red light to pass through it, but
for most applications this is not a problem & can even be a plus. I
have this filter & it works great on several digital cameras that I
have used it on. Some people like the "false color" effect but I
almost invariably convert all of my NIR pictures to grayscale (B&W) as
I find them more interesting that way. But this is just "my"
preference, feel free to use any effect that "you" like.

I've been taking photos with a Hoya RM90 for a year or so now and
have enjoyed using it, but I want to get a more permissive filter now
since in some circumstances it is difficult to get good exposure with
the RM90.

Do the pictures actually come out tinted red or is it more like a
false color pic?

Here is a good web sight with interesting Near IR Into. &
tips:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/#FILTER

Thanks for the link. It has be furled.

--
What do you get when you multiply 6 by 9?
Old November 1st 04, 02:08 PM
DHB

wrote:

[...]

Yes, it's more obvious & a bit more prone to lens/filter flare
so a lens hood whenever possible is always wise. Additionally you my
wish to order a generic lens cap of the proper size of your new filter
if you intend to leave it on the camera.

Be advised that the HOYA R72 is a near infrared filter which
actually lets a very small amount of red light to pass through it, but
for most applications this is not a problem & can even be a plus. I
have this filter & it works great on several digital cameras that I
have used it on. Some people like the "false color" effect but I
almost invariably convert all of my NIR pictures to grayscale (B&W) as
I find them more interesting that way. But this is just "my"
preference, feel free to use any effect that "you" like.

I've been taking photos with a Hoya RM90 for a year or so now and
have enjoyed using it, but I want to get a more permissive filter now
since in some circumstances it is difficult to get good exposure with
the RM90.

Do the pictures actually come out tinted red or is it more like a
false color pica?

That depends on the video or digital still camera it's used
on. Most Digital Still cameras tend to generate some type of false
color caused by many factors such as the quality/type of infrared
block filter used, CCD or CMOS sensor characteristics & auto or manual
white balance programming, jut to name a few. I thusly always shoot
both digital still & video taken with a HOYA R-72 NIR filter with the
camera set to B&W mode if it offers that feature. If not, any false
color can be post edited out simply by color de-saturation or
conversion to B&W/Grayscale.

Here is a good web sight with interesting Near IR Into. &
tips:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/#FILTER

Thanks for the link. It has be furled.

Here is yet another web site link if your genuinely interested
in learning more about near IR photography, additional there is a lot
of information available via a simple search engine quarry.

http://dpfwiw.com/ir.htm

Respectfully, DHB

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Heliopan makes IR filters in 37mm. They are available in the following:

RG610, RG630, RG645, RG665, RG695, RG715, RG9, RG780,RG830, RG850,
RG1000.

The number is the pass area of the filter.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.