Camera Suggestions....please.....

Old June 20th 06, 07:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Camera Suggestions....please.....

wrote:

[Snipped Text]

So I am going to ask for input on cameras which meet the following:

1) MUST IMPRINT BOTH TIME and DATE on the photo AND MUST be a CAMERA BASED
FUNCTION, no extra step software using EXIF data. Must be a hardware
function of the camera.

2) SD card format
3) Min. 4MP
4) 3x Minimum OPTICAL zoom (digital zoom is irrelevant, its use is expressly
prohibited from use in this task.)

Finding ones that do #1 has proven tough for many of the field users. Some
will do date, but not time, or neither.

These are going to be used alot, and they can not be some $999+ unit either.

Comments suggestions, please.

I've just checked a file from my Panasonic Lumix FZ7, in iPhoto the info
box shows date, time, resolution, file size and type. It has an SD card
slot, 6MP, and has a 12x optical zoom. It cost me £241 over here in the
UK, so about $300 or so over there I guess.

I would say that exceeds your requirements quite easily.

--
Andy Hewitt
http://www.thehewitts.eclipse.co.uk/Home.html
Old June 20th 06, 08:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

:
: 1) MUST IMPRINT BOTH TIME and DATE on the photo AND MUST be a CAMERA
: BASED FUNCTION, no extra step software using EXIF data. Must be a
: hardware function of the camera.
:
: 2) SD card format
: 3) Min. 4MP
: 4) 3x Minimum OPTICAL zoom (digital zoom is irrelevant, its use is
: expressly prohibited from use in this task.)

: I've just checked a file from my Panasonic Lumix FZ7, in iPhoto the
: info box shows date, time, resolution, file size and type. It has an SD
: card slot, 6MP, and has a 12x optical zoom. It cost me ?241 over here in
: the UK, so about $300 or so over there I guess.

: I would say that exceeds your requirements quite easily.

That would be the exif data. Most any digital camera that uses Jpeg will
do this (and many others as well). But since the OP specificly required
the date and time be imprinted on the image and not be using exif data,
this wouldn't fit the requirements.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Old June 20th 06, 08:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Andy Hewitt wrote:
wrote:

[Snipped Text]

So I am going to ask for input on cameras which meet the following:

1) MUST IMPRINT BOTH TIME and DATE on the photo AND MUST be a CAMERA BASED
FUNCTION, no extra step software using EXIF data. Must be a hardware
function of the camera.

2) SD card format
3) Min. 4MP
4) 3x Minimum OPTICAL zoom (digital zoom is irrelevant, its use is expressly
prohibited from use in this task.)

Finding ones that do #1 has proven tough for many of the field users. Some
will do date, but not time, or neither.

These are going to be used alot, and they can not be some $999+ unit either.

Comments suggestions, please.

I've just checked a file from my Panasonic Lumix FZ7, in iPhoto the info
box shows date, time, resolution, file size and type.

That's in the EXIF data, though, not imprinted on the image, isn't it?

--
Hywel

Old June 20th 06, 08:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

[Snipped Text]

I've just checked a file from my Panasonic Lumix FZ7, in iPhoto the info
box shows date, time, resolution, file size and type.

That's in the EXIF data, though, not imprinted on the image, isn't it?

That's true I guess, nevertheless, surely the data is *there*. It might
have to be what the OP has to compromise on. After all, there are plenty
of apps that'll read the EXIF data.

Another option might be to look at a Digital camcorder, they usually
date and time stamp, and usually take stills.

Old June 20th 06, 09:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

fuji finepix s9000 / s9500 will do it