The last days of analog

Old April 19th 18, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

Default The last days of analog

Worth the watch....

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/landscape-photographer-races-to-finish-decades-of-work

-hh
Old April 19th 18, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 2018-04-19 17:46, -hh wrote:
Worth the watch....

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/landscape-photographer-races-to-finish-decades-of-work

Wow.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old April 20th 18, 03:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 08:46:57 -0700 (PDT), -hh
wrote:

Worth the watch....

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/landscape-photographer-races-to-finish-decades-of-work

Extraordinary colours. I wish I could do half as well.

Eric Stevens
Old April 21st 18, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
RichA wrote:

Seeing 8x10 images in the flesh is an experience. Will be a while before
digital really matches it and yet it will never look the same.

it's already surpassed it.
Old April 21st 18, 11:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

Worth the watch....

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/landscape-photographer-races-to-finish-decades-of-work

Extraordinary colours. I wish I could do half as well.

Eric Stevens

Seeing 8x10 images in the flesh is an experience. Will be a while before digital really matches it and yet it will never look the same.

I've never used 8"x 10" but I have used 4"x 5", but never in colour. I
do like using a 'technical' camera with a large image. But the colour
in the above link is extraordinary. And yet I am seeing it via sRGB.
There is a lesson in there somewhere.

Eric Stevens
Old April 21st 18, 11:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 20:37:15 -0400, nospam

RichA wrote:

Seeing 8x10 images in the flesh is an experience. Will be a while before
digital really matches it and yet it will never look the same.

it's already surpassed it.

It's gone off in a different direction.

Eric Stevens
Old April 21st 18, 11:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Seeing 8x10 images in the flesh is an experience. Will be a while before
digital really matches it and yet it will never look the same.

it's already surpassed it.

It's gone off in a different direction.

that direction being forward. a lot forward.
Old April 21st 18, 03:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 2018-04-21 02:37, nospam wrote:
In article ,
RichA wrote:

Seeing 8x10 images in the flesh is an experience. Will be a while before
digital really matches it and yet it will never look the same.

it's already surpassed it.

Care to point a link to a digital camera with a sensor that big, and
that can be "twisted" as his?

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old April 21st 18, 03:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 4/20/2018 8:37 PM, nospam wrote:
In article ,
RichA wrote:

Seeing 8x10 images in the flesh is an experience. Will be a while before
digital really matches it and yet it will never look the same.

it's already surpassed it.

Expected response.

--
PeterN
Old April 21st 18, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 21, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

wrote:

Worth the watch....

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/landscape-photographer-races-to-finish-decades-of-work
Extraordinary colours. I wish I could do half as well.

Seeing 8x10 images in the flesh is an experience. Will be a while before
digital really matches it and yet it will never look the same.

I've never used 8"x 10" but I have used 4"x 5", but never in colour. I
do like using a 'technical' camera with a large image. But the colour
in the above link is extraordinary. And yet I am seeing it via sRGB.
There is a lesson in there somewhere.

While there is the undeniable resolution improvement attained with the 8” x
10” sheets, the unique color is the result of the Ilford Cibachrome paper
he uses. It is the demise of that paper, and when his stockpile is finally
depleted is when he will finally abandon his darkroom. That is the finish he
is racing against.

Savageduck